West 39th Street Apartments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Plans for another residential project showed up on the city's development tracker site in a rezoning application.
5 floors, 46 apartments over 38 parking stalls & lobby to replace the Valentine Car Wash eyesore near the SE corner of 39th & Summit/SW Trfy

The sketchUp model looks to be preliminary. The elevations show a little more refinement. The ped experience isn't great with two car holes (entrance & exit) and a minimal lobby, but it is still an improvement on existing conditions and there probably weren't many options on a 100' x 141' lot. I find it interesting that the entire building appears to be clad in porcelain tiles.

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Westport

Post by earthling »

^Nice enough infill even if basic, especially replacing a carwash. And easy walk to Westport.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Design qualms aside, it's great to see a development proposal here (especially one of good density). This really isn't the greatest lot/location and it makes all the more head-scratching why some of the more prime lots around Westport remain surface lots or underdeveloped.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Has someone alerted HKC to this clear violation of Westport Architectural CharacterTM ?

:lol:
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:^Nice enough infill even if basic, especially replacing a carwash. And easy walk to Westport.
I'm amazed there's two car washes across the street from each other on this block.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

chaglang wrote:Has someone alerted HKC to this clear violation of Westport Architectural CharacterTM ?

:lol:
Wait til Mary Jo Draper finds out about this!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: West 39th Street Apartments

Post by DaveKCMO »

Split this into it's own topic.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Critical_Mass wrote:West 39th Street Apartments
Better than that car wash, but still very hateful to the pedestrian. Minimize the car hole and I am in favor. As shown, I think this hurts making this part of 39th Street worth caring about.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

They need to push all the new buildings back from the street to create a wider sidewalk with green spaces. That stretch of 39th feels really hostile to pedestrians. I always walk on 38th instead.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Midtownkid wrote:They need to push all the new buildings back from the street to create a wider sidewalk with green spaces. That stretch of 39th feels really hostile to pedestrians. I always walk on 38th instead.
Or put 39th on a road diet...
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Midtownkid wrote:They need to push all the new buildings back from the street to create a wider sidewalk with green spaces. That stretch of 39th feels really hostile to pedestrians. I always walk on 38th instead.
Or put 39th on a road diet...
Yes! 39th street is begging for a road diet. There is a two block stretch east of Troost is two lane anyway, and on the entire road people sometimes park in the outer lane forcing people driving in the outer lane to merge. Even drivers would get behind a road diet on 39th.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

DaveKCMO wrote:Or put 39th on a road diet...
ditto
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

As someone who lives off of 39th, I couldn't disagree more. I avoid the intersections of 39th/SW Trfy at all costs, especially during rush hour because traffic builds up for blocks. Maybe if 39th had designated left turn lanes and a single thru lane it could be accomplished, but right now its a cluster most of the day.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Look at the Grand painting plan, it's very similar to this problem

This is the same problem with Grand downtown and Armour in NKC. All three are notable through streets.

Every block doesn't have a protected turn lane
Every block doesn't have a protected left turn cycle
And having some blocks with parking and some not just adds to the mess.

All three parts need to change when a road gets heavy enough. You have to segregate modes and turns from each other. Armour at least has dedicated turn lanes and it functions much better than Grand or 39th as a result
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

kcjak wrote:As someone who lives off of 39th, I couldn't disagree more. I avoid the intersections of 39th/SW Trfy at all costs, especially during rush hour because traffic builds up for blocks. Maybe if 39th had designated left turn lanes and a single thru lane it could be accomplished, but right now its a cluster most of the day.
You just described the road diet idea. Looks like we're all in agreement.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

A road diet! As someone who lives in Manheim and works in Westport, I think about this all of the time. In fact, I sketched this last week. You could get away with dedicated parking lanes AND a dedicated left turn lane if you shortened the sidewalks, which is possible, because the parking areas would protect the pedestrian and the bump outs would slow traffic on the through lanes while providing area for shade trees. Or something.

*edit I didn't realize photobucket sucked now
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Imaged added in previous post, sorry!
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

We should NEVER again make ANY sidewalk more narrow.

If that's what you meant by 'shortened'.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote:We should NEVER again make ANY sidewalk more narrow.

If that's what you meant by 'shortened'.
Generally agree--but if it's through a residential section like the sketch shows there might be some opportunity to make an exception. Although the sidewalks through that portion are already pretty narrow...
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Might be able to use the city ROW and push the sidewalks closer to the homes.