P&L District: 13th & Walnut Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: P&L District: 13th & Walnut Site Proposal

Post by DaveKCMO »

StrangerThings wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:the cynical davekcmo -- the one i like the most -- says this is the same as "ryan maybee's kill devil club!" and "alex pope's cleaver & cork!", meaning that you're only really getting a consultant and not the real deal with joe's KC.

back napkin runs the rockhill grille.
Incorrect. Those two concepts were strictly consulting jobs and are operated by the same company who operates most of the restaurants and bars within the outdoor plaza area. Joes is good at Bbq, but not exactly known for high volume beer and liquor sales. This concept will be designed, paid for and operated by Joe and the back napkin team who have had great success with The Ale House and Rockhill Grille. This is a straight up, third party tenant much like yard house, BRGR, Bristol etc.
A reason to not be cynical. Thanks!
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

menu has joe's branding. also, if they're really going to have burnt ends everyday and not run out 70 minutes into my 100 minute wait for them, this is going to be my favorite joe's and i could give a rat's ass whether their normal processes would be better or more profitable or more of a national ranking darling.

taco today was fine to be honest but obviously i'm just going to san antonio or camino real when the urge exists
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Uhhh, not trying to be that guy but KC had ice houses back in the day.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chingon wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:
I think he wants to attract families because this is what the Beer Gardens in Germany offer, at least thats what i thought he was quoted saying. I think plans for this beer garden which breaks ground in April includes a playground area.
Like a Texas "icehouse"-style bar. Excellent idea.
- Me, ca. 2014
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Biz Journal..
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... space.html
The famous Z-Man sandwich will be available only on Sundays, when the Joe's Kansas City restaurants are closed. (Stehney emphasized that County Line Ice House is not a fourth Joe's Kansas City location.
Wonder if it will be indoor pit, outdoor pit or BBQ shipped in from Joe's. Each will impact the outcome of product. Would guess indoor pit, which likely won't have the smoky flavor of Joe's.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Seems very much like they are tryharding to pull off "trendy bistro" or whatever when all anybody--tourists and locals--wants is a bbq joint. I don't doubt it will do well enough, but I'm thoroughly confused how it is that anyone thought this was a better idea than a simple downtown Joe's. I guess they felt like the space in question was too "high end" to go putting up those wood panel and corrugated metal walls?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mema's serves tacos. so there!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Zman only on Sunday? Da fuq?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

StrangerThings wrote:
earthling wrote:Biz Journal..
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... space.html
The famous Z-Man sandwich will be available only on Sundays, when the Joe's Kansas City restaurants are closed. (Stehney emphasized that County Line Ice House is not a fourth Joe's Kansas City location.
Wonder if it will be indoor pit, outdoor pit or BBQ shipped in from Joe's. Each will impact the outcome of product. Would guess indoor pit, which likely won't have the smoky flavor of Joe's.
Indoor wood fired pit, vented to the outdoors. Not only have commercial, indoor bbq pits become popular, you can get the same flavor as well.
Will give it benefit of doubt until trying but I haven't met an indoor pit yet that provides smokey flavor of outdoor pits. Ask for Q39 ribs w/out sauce. Zero smoky flavor, depends too much on sauce (I do like their meats in general nevertheless).
Imarealperson
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Imarealperson »

StrangerThings wrote:
mean wrote:Seems very much like they are tryharding to pull off "trendy bistro" or whatever when all anybody--tourists and locals--wants is a bbq joint. I don't doubt it will do well enough, but I'm thoroughly confused how it is that anyone thought this was a better idea than a simple downtown Joe's. I guess they felt like the space in question was too "high end" to go putting up those wood panel and corrugated metal walls?
Joe has stated over and over again he is DONE opening more "Joe's".
Who is Joe?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

StrangerThings wrote:Joe has stated over and over again he is DONE opening more "Joe's".
Cool story, but that doesn't really address how anyone thought this was a better idea than that.

"I'm tired of giving people what they want, so instead I'm going to give people something vaguely similar but simultaneously entirely different, with a completely different and unfamiliar name, which they may or may not want!" seems like a questionable approach to business.

Above and beyond that, you seem to be having a hard time keeping things straight...
StrangerThings wrote:Joe has stated over and over again he is DONE opening more "Joe's".
StrangerThings wrote:this is a joes
You're already making things confusing, and you're the one claiming there won't be any confusion! It's a Joe's, but it isn't a Joe's, but it is a Joe's because there is Joe's branding, but it isn't a Joe's because he said he wouldn't open any more Joe's, but it is a Joe's because it has Joe's food, but it isn't a Joe's because it isn't called a Joe's, but it is a Joe's because the guy behind Joe's is a partner, but it isn't a Joe's because there's table service, but it is a Joe's but it isn't a Joe's, but it is a Joe's, but it isn't a Joe's, but it is, but it isn't, but it is, but it isn't, is, isn't, is, isn't, is, isn't, is, isn't.

Look, I get it, you're the resident Cordish apologist, but come on. This is stupid, and it is going to confuse people, and it already is confusing people.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Imarealperson wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:
mean wrote:Seems very much like they are tryharding to pull off "trendy bistro" or whatever when all anybody--tourists and locals--wants is a bbq joint. I don't doubt it will do well enough, but I'm thoroughly confused how it is that anyone thought this was a better idea than a simple downtown Joe's. I guess they felt like the space in question was too "high end" to go putting up those wood panel and corrugated metal walls?
Joe has stated over and over again he is DONE opening more "Joe's".
Who is Joe?
The guy they bought out ages ago who is now using the Oklahoma Joe's name (and stealing Bourdain quotes about the one in KC in an apparent attempt to confuse people).
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i hope rally house p&L gets a bunch of those z man t-shirts but only sells them on sundays to round out the joke

even though CordishGuy is arguably right that the craft beer market is oversaturated in p&L,* it's dumb that they're aggressively flaunting the fact that this is a place to go to get shitty beers. i'm sure they're going to at least have boulevard wheat or kc pilsner (they had one of the radlers out at the picnic today). so i'm guessing they're trying to spin this as "hey look at us we have something for cheaper than it could be!" to get out in front of the fact that food prices will come in higher than most hope for. either that or some powers that be decided it had to find some way to differentiate itself from cleaver and cork. or maybe they're trying to push consumers who turn their noses up at crappy beer to buy cocktails, but that doesn't sound particularly on brand based on what we know so far.

* - i'm not so sure about this. saucer/yardhouse obviously yes, but neither are "in" the live district. brgr has some good cans and a couple seasonal taps but it's not in the live district either.

inside the district itself, with access to the courtyard, there's no great craft beer option. johnny's has some craft ish options but their taps always taste stale/bad. mcfaddens has fewer options but seems to be a half step up in terms of line maintenance. leinenkugel's should have been the spot, but it reeks so terribly of stale spilled summer shandy/sunset wheat that i can't bring myself to drink even the handful of decent beers they have (none of which of course are made by leinenkugel's, which is garbage). dubliner's beer list is a shit show. so unless pizza bar is this hidden gem i'm forgetting (i know it's not) or you're heading upstairs, the only real competition among the food places in the live district is cleaver and cork.
Imarealperson
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Imarealperson »

I'm sure people thought opening a restaurant in a gas station next to a run down strip mall made no sense either. I bet it'll end up just fine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just offer zman every day. That's just a silly decision to not doing that.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sit in a hotel while visitors ask you where to get BBQ. This place will be packed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Feels like they are doing char bar honestly.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Better than GB!