Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Westport

Post by beautyfromashes »

i guess everyone has to have a manifesto now-a-days. For some reason, we've completely lost the ability to empathize with someone else or the creative mental capacity to put ourselves in someone else's shoes. Instead, we just demonize them and determine that they have a personal vendetta against 'us' personally. You think she really wants to hold back the city she lives in?! I've gone to so many neighborhood group meetings and heard 60 and 80-year old lifetime residents rage. If they truly hated this city, they would have just left like everyone else 30 years ago. Their vision of the future (and present) of the city is just different than mine. So what? Have a conversation. Change their minds. Show them a different way. All this rage and personal hatred is a waste. BTW, thanks for the KC nice compliment. That community spirit and care for your neighbor is why I don't live in Manhattan or LA or Dallas.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Pash, I love you.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Closing at 1-1:30AM seems worth trying for a summer. It may just push the problem to P&L though.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

They don't want to do anything that requires a change in their behavior. They are pretty well convinced that nothing they are doing is a problem.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chaglang wrote:They don't want to do anything that requires a change in their behavior. They are pretty well convinced that nothing they are doing is a problem.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

If they had tried a bunch of things that didn't work they would have been used as evidence in favor of their stance.

They've had 15 years since they were turned down, plenty of times to try new things.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The effort to privatize some of the streets in Westport was shelved indefinitely yesterday, and the plan to implement a nine month moratorium on development went down in flames.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

So a fast casual restaurant called Krab Kingz is coming to 3805 Broadway. That is the Chinese restaurant spot in the building with Chez Charlie:
https://www.facebook.com/krabkingz/post ... 4889633038

It is a small chain out of Texas and it appears most of the other locations are food trucks. I'm pretty excited about this. I don't know of anywhere in KC to get decently priced crab anymore.

I have noticed that the building has had a for sale sign on it for a while. I don't know if this has anything to do with the sale. I really hope the new owner will restore the building to it's original appearance. Someone posted an old photo on here a while ago and the transformation is tragic.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: I don't know of anywhere in KC to get decently priced crab anymore.
The Pile of Debris has a crab leg buffet that lasts about 5 hours. I like to go and eat my fill right when they open, then I just sit in the booth and read a book for about 4 hours, then I eat another meal of crab legs. Ends up being decently priced.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

taxi wrote:
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: I don't know of anywhere in KC to get decently priced crab anymore.
The Pile of Debris has a crab leg buffet that lasts about 5 hours. I like to go and eat my fill right when they open, then I just sit in the booth and read a book for about 4 hours, then I eat another meal of crab legs. Ends up being decently priced.
George Brett? Is that you?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Looks like Freebirds has closed. I'd love to see that strip mall closed and rebuilt to front Mill Street, but it just underwent a renovation and is otherwise leased up.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Agree, or torn down for a large residential mixed use project with streetfront retail.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Does this city not have a regulation on delivery trucks blocking the streets? Every time I'm driving through Westport there is a beer truck blocking the road. Today, there were three with one facing the wrong way on the street. Where's the ticket writers?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:Does this city not have a regulation on delivery trucks blocking the streets? Every time I'm driving through Westport there is a beer truck blocking the road. Today, there were three with one facing the wrong way on the street. Where's the ticket writers?
Other than the normal parking controls that aren't enforced, no.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Surprised this hasn’t been posted yet:
Is KC social scene for whites only? Young blacks say they’re ‘tolerated,’ not welcomed

Bonny says once while DJing at Firefly in 2011, longtime Westport landlord and business owner Bill Nigro, who was serving as a temporary manager, approached him in the middle of his set and whispered, “it’s getting a little dark in here,” in reference, Bonny says, to the lounge’s steadily growing black crowd that night.

“I don’t believe in playing hip-hop and rap music and drawing a specific crowd. I’m not looking for that,” Nigro says. “I’ve owned a few country nightclubs, and I’ve had fewer problems out of that crowd. If that makes me racist, fine. If somebody’s offended by that, fine.
http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment ... 16176.html
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

The irony here is nigro means black in Italian. If he would have said fungi, the health department might send an inspector. Sometimes it can be so hard to find the right words.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Shields and Wagner have again introduced a "moratorium" ordinance for westport developement. It looks like it is on the agenda for discussion at today's PZE.

Facilitating a community planning process in the Westport area, one of the outcomes of which will be a vision of the character of development in Westport and identification of amendments to the Midtown Plaza Area Plan and zoning regulations, thereby necessitating a temporary suspension until March 1, 2018, on the approval of development plans, rezonings, project plans, and the issuance of demolition permits in the Westport area, as outlined in red on the attached map; and recognizing this ordinance as having an accelerated effective date.
Section 1. That the Mayor and Council hereby declare that a six month planning process is undertaken, thereby necessitating a temporary suspension until March 1, 2018, on the approval of development plans, rezonings, project plans, and the issuance of demolition permits in the Westport area as outlined in red on the attached map, with the exception of demolition permits issued pursuant to Chapter 56 of the City's Code of Ordinances necessary to protect the life, health and safety of the public.

Section 2. That a “queue” process is hereby established for the acceptance of any new development applications, until March 1, 2018, for the approval of development plans, rezonings, project plans, and the issuance of demolition permits in the Westport area, as outlined in red on the attached map.

Section 3. That the Director of City Planning and Development may grant relief from the suspension to applicants seeking approval of development plans, rezonings, or project plans located within the existing Main Street Special Review District or proposed Main Street Special Character Overlay District upon a determination that the property does not meet the minimum requirements for historic designation under 88-580-01-F and under the rules and regulations of the historic preservation commission. Upon such a determination, the property owner may then proceed with filing an application for a proposed development plan, rezoning, or project plan, as the case may be.

Section 4. That the following are exempt from the suspension: (1) approved development plans, rezonings, and project plans, and the issuance of demolition permits associated with approved development plans, rezonings, and project plans; and (2) those properties that are already designated as an historic landmark or located within the boundaries of an existing historic district or historic overlay district, except that inclusion in Main Street Special Review District or proposed Main Street Special Character Overlay District will not qualify a property for an exemption unless approved by the Director as set forth in Section 2 of this Ordinance, because neither the Main Street Special Review District nor the proposed Main Street Special Character Overlay District regulate or will regulate the demolition of existing buildings.

Section 5. That the Westport Regional Business League and Historic Kansas City will present a status update to the Planning, Zoning and Economic Development Committee every 90 days.

Section 6. That the Mayor and City Council direct the City Planning and Development Department to assess the results of the survey and integrate those results into a community planning process lead and completed by the Westport Regional Business League in collaboration with the Department and Historic Kansas City, by the conclusion of the temporary suspension. Potential outcomes could include the creation of a historic district or an overlay zoning district such as a Historic Overlay District or a Special Character Overlay District.

Section 7. That sum of $45,000.00 is hereby appropriated to the following account in the Unappropriated Surplus from the Development Services Fund:18-2210-641000-B Westport Regional Business League Westport
Planning $45,000.00
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

BTW, i thought the city just recently adopted a Midtown Area plan that was used by anti-development types in justification to thwart dense proposals under the guise that the recency of the plans adoption required strict adherence and interpretation without amendment. Now it seems a merry band of anti-development types think the plan needs a wholesale update and amendment to better fit their ideas of historic preservation? seems a bit self-serving and some may interpret it as completely hypocritical.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

UGH - time to start calling and emailing the council about this. AGAIN.