OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by flyingember »

Having a parallel second line has value, but that's not part of the next election,

It has no described route through downtown, one line goes north from the city market, another starts from union station and goes south

It's basically expansion of the starter line, there's no route to parallel it.

But the related question, why would another street not deserve stops? Why not at city hall, in the crossroads or hospital hill?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:Is the solid color routes what could be easily built, then dotted routes buses? Or is dotted routes future rail expansions?
dotted routes are electric bus connections from rail. the ballot language doesn't specify the terminus for each rail line, so this is a decent assumption on how far you could go with federal funding for all extensions and additional funding mechanisms for KCK and NKC.

nothing on this map is in conflict with the smartmoves regional transit plan or the city's previous streetcar expansion work.
Are KCK or NKC actively talking about buildings light rail/streetcar? Also, is Clay Chastain's plan to build streetcar or dedicated right of way light rail or both?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

ldai_phs wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:Is the solid color routes what could be easily built, then dotted routes buses? Or is dotted routes future rail expansions?
dotted routes are electric bus connections from rail. the ballot language doesn't specify the terminus for each rail line, so this is a decent assumption on how far you could go with federal funding for all extensions and additional funding mechanisms for KCK and NKC.

nothing on this map is in conflict with the smartmoves regional transit plan or the city's previous streetcar expansion work.
Are KCK or NKC actively talking about buildings light rail/streetcar? Also, is Clay Chastain's plan to build streetcar or dedicated right of way light rail or both?
NKC was part of the planning in 2014 so they're the most recent that has. It just implemented bike share, it funds a flex bus route for it's town and it has a lot of lower income individuals that are transit dependent. If any town is a good partner for rail, it's NKC.

One key phrase in the ordinance is to use dedicated lanes wherever possible. The 2014 study gave the train it's own lane if using Burlington. Remember, there was already a dedicated SB bus lane on that street in the past.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pash wrote:FYI, North Kansas City earlier this year began trying to figure out how to dissolve the TDD [PDF] it created to fund rail transit in 2008.

If Question 2 passes tomorrow, somebody should probably reach out to them with an update on the possibilities going forward. ...
already done. they were about to dissolve it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

I couldn't sleep so I voted. When will election results start rolling in? 8pm?
UrbanKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by UrbanKC »

JBmidtown wrote:I couldn't sleep so I voted. When will election results start rolling in? 8pm?
I voted this morning! Trying to encourage other KCMO residents to do the same!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCEB is notoriously slow, but getting better. maybe 10pm.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Reminder: The streetcar expansion is in danger of moving forward if Question 1 passes. If for streetcar get out and vote NO on Q1 today.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

earthling wrote:Reminder: The streetcar expansion is in danger of moving forward if Question 1 passes. If for streetcar get out and vote NO on Q1 today.
I think you meant to say "in danger of not moving forward if question 1 passes?

I was voter #12 (no on 1, yes on 2) in my polling place (Don Bosco Center) at 7:45am. Not going to be a big turnout.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KCtonic wrote:
earthling wrote:Reminder: The streetcar expansion is in danger of moving forward if Question 1 passes. If for streetcar get out and vote NO on Q1 today.

I was voter #12 (no on 1, yes on 2) in my polling place (Don Bosco Center) at 7:45am. Not going to be a big turnout.
Which means that 1-2 votes WILL make a difference. Encourage folks to vote today.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCtonic wrote:

I think it's correct, to put another way, "streetcar moving forward is in danger if Q1 passes".
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCtonic wrote:

I think it's correct, to put another way, "streetcar moving forward is in danger if Q1 passes".
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:
KCtonic wrote:

In the slim chance it passes and holds up I would argue it means the city has to think bigger. A Denver sized project where every part of the city gets something, working to bring urban and commuter service in one package, is a path forward that could be taken. Take the 2008 plan and think 5x bigger kind of thing.

I still think it will be thrown out on the grounds it can't be followed because they included any trains that carry goods (freight lines) in the definition and KC has to follow the commerce clause and support interstate rail connections. There's no way it could put supporting those projects up to a vote.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote:KCEB is notoriously slow, but getting better. maybe 10pm.
So who will report results first, you or KC Star. ;)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

citywide, so it will be the star or one of the local TV networks. they have systems to handle the reporting from the various election boards (four? five?). for the TDD vote, i just had to go to one place.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

DaveKCMO wrote:citywide, so it will be the star or one of the local TV networks. they have systems to handle the reporting from the various election boards (four? five?).
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

It's not looking good. I'm hoping it's just Clay County numbers skewing the results so far.