Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by JBmidtown »

pash wrote:No place deserves this.
Agreed.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

Don't like it? Build your own.
Growing, thriving cities like San Diego have replaced many surface lots and old, obsolete single-family houses in their core with buildings and designs similar to this.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

We're striving for San Diego now??!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

A whale's vagina?
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

NorthOak wrote:Don't like it? Build your own.
Growing, thriving cities like San Diego have replaced many surface lots and old, obsolete single-family houses in their core with buildings and designs similar to this.
Same goes for Denver. I was there last week and they had fully build out neighborhoods where every single building had this design.
beautyfromashes wrote:We're striving for San Diego now??!
I'm not a fan of this design at all but we would be lucky to have neighborhoods as dense and lively as they have. Just because we architecture nerds don't like it doesn't mean that the suburban kids looking to move in and have a big city experience don't.

I do agree that we could and should do way better but i also understand that developers will cheap out and cut corners everywhere they can to make projects financially feasible.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

mister816 wrote:I do agree that we could and should do way better but i also understand that developers will cheap out and cut corners everywhere they can to make projects financially feasible.
My take on what is happening here.. that was a mostly correct statement, but I took the liberty of correcting it a bit:

"i also understand that some developers will cheap out and cut corners everywhere they can to make projects more profitable regardless of the long-term effects of doing so"
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

San Diego is a disaster on a pedestrian level and Denver's neighborhoods with buildings like this feel cheap and awful. Just imagine what they'll feel like in 10 years when all these cheap materials look like hell and need to be replaced. I don't think it's asking too much, ESPECIALLY SINCE THEY'RE GETTING INCENTIVES, for a modicum of respect for the pedestrian level and materials that aren't the cheapest available.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:San Diego is a disaster on a pedestrian level
I lived in San Diego and I couldn't disagree more.

Kansas City is a disaster on a pedestrian level.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:San Diego is a disaster on a pedestrian level and Denver's neighborhoods with buildings like this feel cheap and awful. Just imagine what they'll feel like in 10 years when all these cheap materials look like hell and need to be replaced. I don't think it's asking too much, ESPECIALLY SINCE THEY'RE GETTING INCENTIVES, for a modicum of respect for the pedestrian level and materials that aren't the cheapest available.
100 percent agreed.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

Have you ever been to a non tourist area of San Diego. My experience in SD was a few months atCamp Pendleton (the USMC base) and the surrounding area. They are far and i mean FAR ahead of Kansas City in almost every way.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

mister816 wrote:
Have you ever been to a non tourist area of San Diego. My experience in SD was a few months atCamp Pendleton (the USMC base) and the surrounding area. They are far and i mean FAR ahead of Kansas City in almost every way.
Been to Camp Pendleton and it's in a great spot. Don't know why we're comparing the pedestrian level of anywhere in San Diego to KC for any reason though. But regardless... The RM West I and II both suck - especially II. Lets just say its a project that belongs in Olathe (not San Diego). That's really the point here - not anything about a city on the coast of California.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

KCtonic wrote:.... Don't know why we're comparing the pedestrian level of anywhere in San Diego to KC for any reason though. But regardless... The RM West I and II both suck - especially II. Lets just say its a project that belongs in Olathe (not San Diego). That's really the point here - not anything about a city on the coast of California.
You're not following the thread. I said there are apartments exactly like this in design being built in growing cities like San Diego (and Austin, Denver, Minneapolis, etc). These infill projects are how these cities developed a critical mass. Not everywhere is Manhattan. The real point here is that KC needs this project and another 500 similar projects just to fill in the holes from the river to 31st.

Can RM 1 and West be "better?" Sure but why are we critiquing and nitpicking these projects to death when downtown has as many surface lots still as it does developed blocks? We still have 30 sq blocks of surface lots remaining in the loop alone and people are complaining about this.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

Yes, we've heard it all before a million times.
Sure, do all you can to try to get the developer to change things to your liking.
But the incessant whining on here won't get anything accomplished.
That project is not as bad as you make it out to be, there are no "surface lots" or "blank walls" in the RMW II version.
And how is this not pedestrian friendly?
Your hyperbole doesn't help.
This version is far superior to RM West I

We still have 30 sq blocks of surface lots remaining just in the loop alone.
We still have another 50+ blocks of surface parking lots in the Crossroads.
In the light of that, you claiming that you and others would like to see "nothing built" rather than projects like this is very queer.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

There's plenty of "I don't like it" on this site but where it's subjective.

This project is really lazy. It's poorly designed other than to make money.
It wouldn't take much to do much better. It fronts two streets and it doesn't try to do anything with either of them.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

It's not just lazy it's also cheap and tacky.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I can't say for certain, but it looks like something might be happening with 516 Grand. It's a single parcel that has two attached one-story brick buildings and an empty lot between them. I don't see any permits on the parcel viewer, but the Block & Co. listing (sign attached to the bldg) doesn't appear to be advertised on their website (taken down?). I walked past these buildings last week and again today and it looks like there are work crews and some dumpsters in the back alley and empty lot. They've had the front doors open both times. Not sure if they are gutting it and beginning some construction work or if they are just being used as workshops/fabrication/etc. similar to the neighboring garage attached to Icon Architects.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

If those are at the NW corner of Missouri & Grand, they were a demo threat at one point recently.