Streetcar Opposition

Transportation topics in KC
mykn

Re: Streetcar Opposition

Post by mykn »

hartliss wrote:http://www.besmartkc.com/

Group is gearing up to help people vote (vote no of course). I added my commentary to their home page below, making sure I have my facts straight.

We hope you will join us in saying NO to:

HIGHER PROPERTY TAXES - true, if you live in TDD, right?
HIGHER SALES TAXES - is this accurate?
HIGHER RENTS - potentially due to landlords passing on the prop tax increase, right?
TAXING CHURCHES AND NON-PROFITS - I understand this to be true
These jackasses commandeered our neighborhood associations email list and sent out a propaganda email to everyone on our neighborhood today. They will stoop to any low.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

recent donation to SmartKC:

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kelly's and the levee donated to smartKC, according to their latest filing: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx1_a ... U1pVVBGZDA
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

A lady from SmartKC was interviewed on a news segment last night about how the streetcar ballot process is too burdensome, yet at no point in the newscast did they mention why the rules are the way they are.

http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/kan ... -has-kinks
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

If the legislature didn't like the TDD law the way it is it would have been changed already since it's a method to impose *new* taxes

That's the only answer you need.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DaveKCMO wrote:kelly's and the levee donated to smartKC, according to their latest filing: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx1_a ... U1pVVBGZDA
Jeez, you'd think a Westport pub would actually want to give their liquored up patrons another option for getting home that doesn't involve them driving their own cars.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Highlander wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:kelly's and the levee donated to smartKC, according to their latest filing: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx1_a ... U1pVVBGZDA
Jeez, you'd think a Westport pub would actually want to give their liquored up patrons another option for getting home that doesn't involve them driving their own cars.
You would think they would pick a mode a transportation which can't go somewhere else in town, helping increase their customer base.

It's always about money.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

As did Pulse Development and Block Co. - sort of goes against the "developers" being for the streetcar movement.
mykn

Post by mykn »

hartliss wrote:
As did Pulse Development and Block Co. - sort of goes against the "developers" being for the streetcar movement.
Interesting, I wonder if that's why there wasn't much opposition against the manor square development...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

you are wise to assume there are a lot of proxy wars happening in midtown.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

But on the flip side, Connect KC had a great list of corp. donors with connections/locations along the corridor.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

flyingember wrote:
Highlander wrote:
You would think they would pick a mode a transportation which can't go somewhere else in town, helping increase their customer base.

It's always about money.
In fairness, it could also decrease it. It's a train to the power and light district too. That aspect could be a wash with two entertainment districts along the line.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^That won't pass by heart of Westport. Would think the streetcar stop will be at 39th/Main for the 39th crosstown bus and not Westport/Main, so more walking to get to central Westport from streetcar.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I think they just don't want any property tax increases.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kcjak wrote:I think they just don't want any property tax increases.
which is why their CIDs -- westport and broadway -- are also based solely on sales taxes (main street CID is based on special assessments).
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

DaveKCMO wrote:
which is why their CIDs -- westport and broadway -- are also based solely on sales taxes (main street CID is based on special assessments).
I wonder how many residents in the area got to vote to have their sales taxes raised? Was it mail in? How were residents notified? If people think the streetcar district is gerrymandered (straight lines are so unfair), they should check out how this CID and Independence Ave CID are shaped. Pretty clear they are avoiding including the people who actually pay the sales tax. No news stories about that, huh?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
I wonder how many residents in the area got to vote to have their sales taxes raised?
zero.
Was it mail in?
yes. ballots had to be notarized. ;-)
How were residents notified?
no residents in the CID boundary, so no notice to those outside of the boundary is required (unless you count a public hearing and city council ordinance).
If people think the streetcar district is gerrymandered (straight lines are so unfair), they should check out how this CID and Independence Ave CID are shaped. Pretty clear they are avoiding including the people who actually pay the sales tax. No news stories about that, huh?
broadway CID boundary:

westport CID boundary:

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

DaveKCMO wrote:
kboish wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
I wonder how many residents in the area got to vote to have their sales taxes raised?
zero.
Was it mail in?
yes. ballots had to be notarized. ;-)
How were residents notified?
no residents in the CID boundary, so no notice to those outside of the boundary is required (unless you count a public hearing and city council ordinance).
If people think the streetcar district is gerrymandered (straight lines are so unfair), they should check out how this CID and Independence Ave CID are shaped. Pretty clear they are avoiding including the people who actually pay the sales tax. No news stories about that, huh?
broadway CID boundary:

westport CID boundary:

Yup. (and I was being slightly rhetorical, but i think you drive the point home).

Check out Independence Ave's boundaries. CID's are required to be contiguous. They really push the limits of this concept in order to exclude potential voting residents. So much so I wonder if it would survive a legal challenge.

edits for clarity
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

oh, it would all survive a legal challenge. i think the point is you have business owners claiming taxation without representation or what's-in-it-for-me when they've done the exact same thing to serve their own interests.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.