Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Transportation topics in KC

How will you vote on Chastain's LRT proposal?

I will vote Yes!
56%
I will vote No!
26%
I don't vote!
5%
I don't live in KCMO
12%

Total votes: 148

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Post by Highlander »

flyingember wrote:This is why I wouldn't dismiss the chance of this plan for passing. More people are experiencing the train. It's a lot harder to be against something after you've experienced in in person. But will this translate to a Yes in the August election is a huge question.

https://twitter.com/TomGerend/status/867095883686588418
As of Q4 42% of city residents have ridden streetcar in past year. Up from 35% in Q3.
Chastain is well known in the community and pretty much reviled by most. He won once with probably the most dubious of his proposals but that was before he became an infamous KC oddity. I think people look past the fact that they like the streetcar and the deciding factor will once again end up being the negative perception of Chastain himself.

As always, I think his participation in the effort hurts far more than it helps.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I bet 95%+ of people voting will have forgotten who proposed it by the time they get to the ballot or didn't know to begin with. Never under estimate the laziness factor in watching news.

But participation hurting is a fair point and already proven out.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

http://kcur.org/post/virginia-based-act ... ansit-plan
“The details are in my brain. Anybody who wants to ask details, I can give you details," he said. "Don’t scoff at me, because my IQ is high, really high," he added. "That means I can remember things, and design things, and think of things that most people can’t.”
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Anybody want to re-vote after that comment?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

8-[
ULCajun
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ULCajun »

He sounds like Trump...
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

He's his own worst enemy.

The details in his brain mean nothing of course. What matters is to ordinance.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The guy has serious mental health issues.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

DaveKCMO wrote:Chastain is doing a presser at 10am at Union Station. Will be interesting to see who covers it.
Interesting indeed...

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 87554.html
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

I don't care if he's crazy, I want 25 miles of rail.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ It's not like the election has a clause where we would have to hire the guy for his opinion noon. The city has lawyers for idiots like him. I'm sure they know how to handle crazy people in this city.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The wheels of justice turn slowly.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

grovester wrote:The wheels of justice turn slowly.
And unpredictably

Another reason why I would not want to sell the city's public transportation soul to that particular devil.

He has demonstrated in the past that he will not shrink away from using the courts to see that his "vision" is realized. I don't understand the support here for Chastain's plan when there is a legitimate effort well underway to extend the streetcar from downtown to the plaza. Chastain's plan promises significantly more than it can deliver which I guarantee will lead to all kinds of bitter struggles regarding what part of the city benefits resulting in likely lawsuits if it passes and implementation is attempted. The only advantage might be that it would be get around any effort to stop steetcar expansion by requiring city wide elections. Cross that bridge when and if it comes, in the meantime, I hate the idea of Chastain being involved in anything in KC.
Last edited by Highlander on Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I have to agree. Anything with Chastain's name on it is poison as far as I'm concerned. In theory I like the ballot measure, but this dude has proven to be a menace. I liked Funkhouser in theory too, and voted for him, but I can't not admit he was pretty much awful. These narcissists who get ballot measures or mayoral (or presidential) bids up for vote have to be shut down. They're the worst. They can seem deceptively appealing, but in the end they're just in it for their own glory.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Everyone understands that if this passes, he'll sue the city until he dies, right? Like the guy has a serious mental health issue.

If you think there are parts of his plan that make sense, let's do it separate from him. Get out there and get a plan together and I'll help and vote.

I don't want this guy anywhere close to Kansas City.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

note the star article made mention of him no longer being a registered voter, which means he can no longer start or sign petition initiatives (do we think richard tolbert will continue the fight? LOL).

of course, that won't prevent chastain from suing (which he is already doing - http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 93359.html). one 2017 lawsuit was already dismissed, but 1716-CV11374 from 2017 still seems to be outstanding. the last update was...
07/05/2017 Motion to Dismiss
Citys Motion to Dismiss Amended Petition.
Filed By: TARA MICHELLE KELLY
On Behalf Of: THE CITY OF KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

...and i will argue that all of this will end up in a lawsuit, whether it's based on clay's petition initiative or not.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Chastain's intransigence on issues can be traced all the way back to the bi-state vote to renovate Union Station. In my opinion, that was one of the best things KC ever did and the fact that the city successfully engaged the Kansas side of the state line was more than icing on the cake. But it wasn't Clay's plan. He had a different idea of what Union Station should be and did everything he could to thwart the bi-state decision to renovate the station, including a petition drive. That's ancient history now but it illustrates that getting it done is not enough for Clay, it has to be done his way. He has demonstrated over and over again he has no value for anyone's opinion other than his own. Why invite that kind of divisiveness.

It's also very odd that he claims to be the savior of Union Station in his book: Tilting at Windmills

Interesting website: http://www.chastaincentral.com/content/clay.html#tilt
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

That's also 100% correct, and I can't figure out why people don't understand it. The best thing for Kansas City is to slowly do rail out to places that want it, and make them pay. It will urbanize the area, and it's one of the few scenarios across the US that is actually working.

Just stop, and make him go to a mental home
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Though one can sympathize with Clay's objectives, it is difficult to imagine that Kansas City has so many demons, fools, and villains in every area of leadership; and they were all lined up against Clay's righteous crusade. Simply, Clay is just not a team player. He alienates the very people who could help integrate him into the discussions.
Who does that sound like, hmmm...