OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Post by flyingember »

Look, that wall has three different colors for the buildings.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

my lack of sympathy comes from a belief that more buildings will fill the other empty spots, thus diminishing the "light" impact on the skyline.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Understandable. My take is a general 'no more cookie cutter projects' downtown in general. It will be a re-occurring theme from me for all future projects in the city core. We've allowed enough given how badly downtown has needed development. But the momentum is good enough now to start expecting better than monotony.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:But the momentum is good enough now to start expecting better than monotony.
absolutely, but i do stand firm that the skyline impact is a lesser part of the equation. one light does an amazing job at the street level, compared to practically everything else built in KC in the last decade or two.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Cordish did a great job at streetlevel and also generally no cookie cutter with the retail buildings. But so far it appears that the residential buildings will lean that way. No harm in trying to sway against a wall of monotony if still possible to sway. I'm not saying don't do the project if not, just can it be swayed to mix things up a bit more with Three/Four lights and if they do Convention Hotel. If no one even suggests it, won't happen.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

No one has pointed out that the 2,3,& 4 Lights stairstep in height, reflecting the height differences of the Big 3 postmodern towers lined up directly behind them on 12th St.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I hadn't noticed. That's actually kind of neat looking.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

I love this forum! You anonymous people truly entertain me. That being said, I very much respect the passion I read in the posts and the knowledge gained. Now back to that glass; particularly on the new LIVE CONVENTION HOTEL!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Several got involved with the City maybe because of this site. I'm heading there as the 'cookie cutter police'. You're welcome! :)
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I could do without some of the passion. I wish this site were split in two - one area for news, one for comments.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

When people don't care, you get a snowball effect of poorer and poorer projects/execution. Developers will do things as cheaply and/or repetitious as possible if no one cares. The passion isn't nearly high enough in KC. KC is often noted for being content with the sub-par. With the momentum and attraction of more developers, now is the time to get more involved.
Last edited by earthling on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The problem is more that we're talking in circles in two different threads about this. All of our views have been stated, and now it's basically more of a "you hang up, no you hang up" exchange between everyone.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah nearly every emotional or hot thread does that for the most part but that is the case with any forum anywhere on any topic. Airport thread constantly goes in circles, probably the hottest topic, and it should! (I intentionally re-state same point as many appear to do, can step it down a notch).

Notice that when topics get hot, the forum overall becomes much more active.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Which is why the airport thread has become hard to read as well. :) There are only like 12 people that regularly post here. We all know each other's position.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

WoodDraw wrote:Which is why the airport thread has become hard to read as well. :) There are only like 12 people that regularly post here. We all know each other's position.
Pfft nuh uh, no one knows my position.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Earthling, I've been following KC development and politics since the early '80s. (I know I'm not alone on here.) I can't think of a time since when there was more caring about the state and future of the core and the city. I'm glad you care, too. And, really, I'm glad you're passionate.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

Updated Renderings courtesy of cityscenekc.com

http://cityscenekc.com/new-renderings-o ... dead-zone/

Not really sure if anything has been changed in the main rendering, but it does confirm the full glass facade and there's still no "Live!" signage.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

New Renderings of Planned Convention Hotel Show Transformation of Current Downtown Dead Zone

When I read the headline (misread actually), I thought the story was about how the hotel was redesigned to make the Baltimore frontage more pedestrian-friendly and more active use, i.e. retail, and restaurant/bars with outdoor seating, etc. :lol: :lol:
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

pash wrote:I see no reason to revise my earlier prediction: this poorly designed hotel is going to extend the dead atmosphere of the convention district into the Crossroads.
I predict it will be the exact opposite.

800 hotel rooms will add hundreds of people to the surrounding area. The 16th St streetcar stop will be busy day and night.

Families will walk up and down Baltimore and Wyandotte and 16th St, reaching places that don't exist today.