UMKC Conservatory of Music considers move to downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: UMKC Conservatory of Music considers move to downtown

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Build it and when it opens don't invite Greitens.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I don't think Greitens is invited to KC period.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It's logical, he wants to shrink the size of the state government and it looks like has learned the Kansas lesson.

The goal appears to be to say that we shouldn't be paying for certain things at the state level.
It's not an illogical stance but the program the match comes from should be cut if that's the goal, not just veto a legitimate use of it
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Hard to argue that education should not be paid for at the state level.
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

grovester wrote:Hard to argue that education should not be paid for at the state level.
Agreed. The saddest part to me is that even a Democrat, Jay Nixon, withheld funds that were meant for post-secondary education. In some ways, he was the best Republican governor Missouri has had (obvious joke).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

To make the counterpoint there's a difference between funding education and funding a building.

The points that could be made is have they looked into leasing space in an existing building if they're in need? Is there a program that's not popular and cut be cut to fund a more popular one or clear up space needed? Have they looked to build in a cheaper part of town or to scale back the size of the building?

Remember, this isn't about funding education, this is about the perception this is a waste of money given other alternatives, that the project could be more conservative. That UMKC is coming for something fancy over funding teacher salaries or student opportunities.

He's not wrong, it's all about value perception and how we spend tax money.
I think the building provides value, he clearly doesn't.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

So for the first time in ages K-12 education is fully funded at the state level. You have to make cuts somewhere and no one is ever happy. With our infrastructure crumbling I would be hard to convince me to build a new Arts campus for a university that already has an arts building 3 miles away.

I'm not saying that it's not worth funding, but it would certainly be on my "want to" list and not my "need to".
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Oh right, that's what Grietens is going to spend it on, not unneeded tax cuts or faux jobs.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

flyingember wrote: Remember, this isn't about funding education, this is about the perception this is a waste of money .
Um, that's not what this is about. It's about showing Ryan Silvey who runs shit.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Being adjacent to the Kauffman is an integral part of the plan. Other locations don't offer the same opportunities for leveraging existing facilities and don't give students the ready opportunity to practice and perform in world class rooms. From that standpoint, this location is really a conservative choice.

And wasn't the land donated?
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

I just can't wrap my head around the cost. What about this project says $96 million when i look at something like one light which cost about $17million less.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

mister816 wrote:I just can't wrap my head around the cost. What about this project says $96 million when i look at something like one light which cost about $17million less.
I'm assuming this includes operating costs and other miscellaneous costs that a university facility would require and a luxury high rise would not.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Sound abatement would raise the cost over a usual classroom building. The cost may cover equipment such as performance and practice pianos. Perhaps an organ. Performance halls would require specialized architectural design. Those things may not make up the gap you see, but there are special requirements for a building used for music education.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

For $96 million couldn't they have built out the third shell of the PAC?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Yea, I thought I remember it including an endowment for the building.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mister816 wrote:I just can't wrap my head around the cost. What about this project says $96 million when i look at something like one light which cost about $17million less.
Your $17 million less doesn't include the cost of the land it's on since the already owned it.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

JBmidtown wrote: I'm assuming this includes operating costs and other miscellaneous costs that a university facility would require and a luxury high rise would not.
missingkc wrote:Sound abatement would raise the cost over a usual classroom building. The cost may cover equipment such as performance and practice pianos. Perhaps an organ. Performance halls would require specialized architectural design. Those things may not make up the gap you see, but there are special requirements for a building used for music education.
kboish wrote:Yea, I thought I remember it including an endowment for the building.
flyingember wrote:Your $17 million less doesn't include the cost of the land it's on since the already owned it.
None of these excuses offered don't even come close to the huge gap in the cost of this thing.
One Light is a 25 floor luxury apartment building built in the heart of downtown built for roughly $80 million.
This is a 3 floor educational facility in a much lower density area with already cleared, also donated land.
Yes, we are all aware that there are acoustic and performance requirements and beautiful finishes used in the design which raise the cost substantially, and the funding endowment, but there is still a huge discrepancy in the actual cost of the building and the $96 million price tag. The total cost of grand pianos is a drop in the bucket. This project is priced to include a 25 floor student market housing project. But it doesn't.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

North Oak, sounds like you're pretty sure those folks at UMKC are a bunch of hucksters. I'm putting my money on the fact that they're not.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

I didn't call anyone a huckster, many others here have spewed hatred and called out Greitens in judgement.

I want the Conservatory to move downtown.
They want to build the very finest facilities in the country to call attention to UMKC's programs and to attract the best student and staff talent - I get that. I know that's not cheap, I just want to see more specs about the actual building that make it cost $96 million.
That price tag is outrageous - it's clearly been a snag in this process - now even causing the state to balk.
Again, I want to see this done, it will be a tremendous boon for downtown to get 600 performing art students in the heart of the city.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The state, in fact, did not balk. Grietens did, for reasons unrelated.

Comparing the 2 projects on lump sum dollar figures is pretty silly.