Freshwater - Midtown

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Freshwater - Midtown

Post by KCLofts »

New regional, sustainable fish restaurant targeted to open March 2017

Freshwater
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Freshwater - Midtown

Post by WSPanic »

Looked like they had some sort of trial run last night. The space looks like it has some work to be done, but they seem to be working aggressively towards a March date.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I went to a soft opening event at Freshwater tonight and the food was fantastic. Can't wait for the opening. It was a pre fix menu with wine pairings for each course.

Charcuterie, Striped bass crudo, Sunchoke soup with pickled mustard seek (amazing), smoked trout "salad", potato/onion/rosemary dish, braised pork ravioli, steak delmonico/sweet potato side, Green Dirt cheese course, apple pastry dessert, Messenger coffee.

It was $50 and worth much more. Service was outstanding and the staff knew the menu well. I really hope this place can overcome any perceived challenges of the location, because they are doing things right. The interior is pretty sparse, but tasteful. I assume it's a work in progress. The back will be a bar and has a ton of potential.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Freshwater officially opened yesterday.

Open Tue-Saturday, 4p-12a.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I plan on going Thursday, I really hope its a success. That location is just horrible. You almost need one of those Liberty Tax Statue of Liberties or a sign holder to know something exists in that strip
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

They've installed a sign on the top of the building that alerts northbound drivers to parking behind the building - at least it should help a little bit.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Has anyone been? I think its pretty decent. I won't say top notch, the large plates we had were just so/so. The Watercress soup was divine and was the best thing we had. I really loved the service and the pricing was very good. Bottles of wine for under 20 and overall the dishes were very reasonably priced but they were on the smaller side (Which they tell you upfront). The place doesn't really have a bar though which is kind of odd and the tables and chairs just seemed like cheap IKEA stuff. The Chef was very personable and he came out and asked everyone how everything tasted, everyone was super friendly. They also have tables right in the kitchen area. The entire setup is kind of odd.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I went to a soft opening and stopped in for a few small plates last weekend. I think you nailed the review brewcrew. Good, but not great food (yet). Pricing makes it worth it. Service is very good.

I think they will eventually use the back room as a bar. They have a bar there, but it's more of a serving station right now - which isn't a great use of the space. If they get the bar going, I will definitely stop in for some small/shareable plates and a few drinks semi-regularly.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

So.... this place was completely destroyed by a drunk driver last night. I'm on a phone out of town, or I'd post a link, but it's in the news. So sad.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WSPanic wrote:So.... this place was completely destroyed by a drunk driver last night. I'm on a phone out of town, or I'd post a link, but it's in the news. So sad.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 43514.html
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Thank god it was closed.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Sigh, on several levels.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Glad to hear the owner wants to rebuild but it's got to be tough as it involves a loss of income for himself and all employees during the process. It's unfortunate that there is absolutely no buffer between the restaurant and what is one of the main traffic arteries of the city from south to north - essentially a highway with lights. There is really no space to fix the problem.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Highlander wrote:Glad to hear the owner wants to rebuild but it's got to be tough as it involves a loss of income for himself and all employees during the process. It's unfortunate that there is absolutely no buffer between the restaurant and what is one of the main traffic arteries of the city from south to north - essentially a highway with lights. There is really no space to fix the problem.
We could make it less of a highway.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

You mean, like a trafficway?

I hope the owner has sense enough to relocate somewhere else.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Wasn't a good location to begin with. Westport Bank building would be perfect! &
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

mykn wrote:
Highlander wrote:Glad to hear the owner wants to rebuild but it's got to be tough as it involves a loss of income for himself and all employees during the process. It's unfortunate that there is absolutely no buffer between the restaurant and what is one of the main traffic arteries of the city from south to north - essentially a highway with lights. There is really no space to fix the problem.
We could make it less of a highway.
I was looking at Google maps thinking how this would be possible. There is street parking allowed on that side of the Trafficway except between 7-9 AM so it's not like 3 lanes are really needed at all times. I wonder how badly 3 lanes are really needed during rush hour? The only other way to make it less of a highway is to use speed dampening devices such as bumps. If they open in the same spot, I wonder if the chance of this happening again will hurt business? It's only happened once as far as I know in the life of the building.
Last edited by Highlander on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mykn

Post by mykn »

taxi wrote:You mean, like a trafficway?

I hope the owner has sense enough to relocate somewhere else.
touche
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

The property owner is Damon Abnos, btw.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I really wish that road would go down to 2 lanes and just have parking on the streets, the road serves no purpose for its own residents, its just a crosstown expressway to get people from Downtown to the Golden Triangle and Ward Parkway