Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

Currently have Google Fiber - 'free' 5M service
14%
Currently have Google Fiber - 100M or 1 Gigabit service only
20%
Currently have Google Fiber - TV + 1 Gigabit service
41%
Am in a deployed Google Fiber area but sticking with current or moving to other ISP
1%
Am in a planned area, intend to get Google Fiber
10%
Am in a planned area, sticking with current ISP
1%
None of the above/something else
13%

Total votes: 87

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

Post by brewcrew1000 »

In my custom google fiber plan mine says i can increase from the 0 plan to the Fiber 1000 + TV for 160 a month
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The cost went up $20 based on your current price/available price. It's jumped several times already but they never charged current customers more.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

GFBR started with about 150 channels for base TV and now at about 220 channels base. They don't have a large enough TV install base yet to leverage good deals with content providers so apparently they had to raise the price. Google recently started YouTube TV (like Sling and PS Vue) so if that brings a large base of users maybe they'll get better content deals. YouTube TV only available in a few markets for now. Might take a while to build up.

Might take a look at Sling, PS Vue, DirecTV Now if wanting smaller bundled TV. Need to use with streaming device like Chromecast, Roku, FireTV, etc.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

hartliss wrote:Got this email today, ouch:

We want to let you know that the price of your Fiber 1000 + TV plan will be increasing from $130/month to $150/month starting with your July bill. (If you also subscribe to optional packages, the prices of those add-ons will remain the same.)
I wonder if that means I can ask for them to give me new equipment since I'm still on the original version hardware?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

shaffe wrote:
hartliss wrote:Got this email today, ouch:

We want to let you know that the price of your Fiber 1000 + TV plan will be increasing from $130/month to $150/month starting with your July bill. (If you also subscribe to optional packages, the prices of those add-ons will remain the same.)
I wonder if that means I can ask for them to give me new equipment since I'm still on the original version hardware?
I have heard that if you just take your EQ in they'll exchange you for the new stuff no questions asked.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

smh wrote: I have heard that if you just take your EQ in they'll exchange you for the new stuff no questions asked.
I might have to give that a try. It's been a long time since I asked but the last time I did they told me they don't swap equipment.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

We recently had our equipment upgraded at no charge after our live TV function died. One new TV box (one old one still OK), new network/storage box, and new remotes.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So with GFTV and Spectrum rates going up and trend of 'cord cutting' in general with PayTV, we've also dumped GFTV and now streaming only. Currently doing 1 month DirecTV Now trial but don't plan to keep it. We end up watching free Pluto TV more than anything. Check it out. Pluto has OnDemand free (ad-based) movies and some interesting live channels (good nature/space shows on Xive), wide array of 'news' channels, a weather channel, an obscure 70's Hong Kong action flick channel (bizarre), though also plenty of junk depending on tastes. Check it out. The mobile app version doesn't do OnDemand yet but the Roku and Fire versions do. One annoying aspect, repetitive commercials.

As many are getting tired of rising rates for traditional PayTV with ads, would think within 5+ years there will be a trend towards two models - streaming mini bundle PayTV with no ads and free ad-based TV. Pluto is on a roll with the latter model.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If you cut PayTV and miss History/Science channels, check out Curiosity Stream...
https://curiositystream.com/

The content is mostly impressive, not as sensationalized or irrelevant as the cable channels have become (though a small portion is). Over 1500 OnDemand titles for only $3/SD, $6/HD and 4K also available, no ads. Has mobile apps and works on the major streaming devices.

Can get a free month trial with promo code: twit

Worth checking out if into nature/science/space/history shows. We plan to rotate around services every month or two... Netflix, HBO and will add this to rotation. Even if you have PayTV, might check out the trial.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Might have to check that out
I've been cord free for 7 years now.
We have the Free GF for 7 years (Was getting internet free before this also)

Our services are Netflix, HBO, YouTube Red, MLB.TV (Free thru T-Mobile) and I have a couple friends passwords for all the other channels since they have cable in exchange for my HBO, MLB and Netflix info
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, rotating services is a cheap way to go and Google's free 5M service works fine with pretty much every video service (one stream at a time). Password sharing obviously too if you don't care if others see your viewing history/saved videos, and some services may only allow one stream a time on account.

Good site for cord cutters (from traditional PayTV)...
http://cordcuttersnews.com/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Google Fiber is not offering TV service in new markets it's entering - Louisville and San Antonio. They are hinting to use OTT streaming services instead like YouTubeTV, Sling, Hulu etc.

GF says they'll continue to offer TV in existing markets but would bet they get rid of it next year (that is if they don't sell entire service). Would think as YouTubeTV matures they'll get rid of GF TV in existing markets and give away Chromecasts or maybe sell/rent AndroidTV boxes (that allow for streaming most anything).
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

earthling wrote:Google Fiber is not offering TV service in new markets it's entering - Louisville and San Antonio. They are hinting to use OTT streaming services instead like YouTubeTV, Sling, Hulu etc.

GF says they'll continue to offer TV in existing markets but would bet they get rid of it next year (that is if they don't sell entire service). Would think as YouTubeTV matures they'll get rid of GF TV in existing markets and give away Chromecasts or maybe sell/rent AndroidTV boxes (that allow for streaming most anything).
I've been testing YouTube TV, and they need to figure a few things out before this is a legit substitute for Google Fiber TV. The difference in picture quality between a highly compressed stream that doesn't deliver 5.1 sound vs. what Google Fiber TV has (an uncompressed 1080p stream) is pretty significant. Also, there is no way people will ditch a remote control/app experience for a phone controlled TV. They need to greatly enhance their offerings on devices like Android TV, Shield TV, and Apple TV before app-oriented TV feels at all convenient.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah we've tried the YouTube TV trial and concluded it's 'still in development'. Like the tablet interface a lot (great design) but overall would rather use a remote. YTTV will fail if they don't offer on Roku/Fire/etc. And of course need to offer various channel bundles. DirectTV Now has most channel options, PS Vue is not bad, didn't care for Sling interface. We mostly just watch Pluto (free), Roku channels and CuriosityStream (starts at $3/month), which is much better than sensationalized History/Science/Discover channels.

BTW, I know several people on GFBR's free 5M service, which is still available. It appears to actually buffer up to 100M for most video services. I tested the throughput and it shows up to 100M buffering and allowing streams above 5M. All other services restricted to 5M. Might try 'stepping down' to 5M if you mostly stream, web browse and don't really need high speed for downloads. Can always bump back up to higher speed if not good enough. It's easy to switch speed under your account on the website.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Google Fiber has dropped the price of Gigabit to $55/month in San Antonio. They don't offer 100M service or phone. They offer YouTube TV instead of Traditional PayTV...

https://fiber.google.com/cities/sanantonio/

Charter/TWC also plan to rollout Gigabit soon but no word yet on which markets are first.

Will attempt to negotiate $55 when I get a chance...
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

YouTube TV is much better with a few recent improvements. They now have 60 fps for ESPN and a few other sports channels, and they now have an Android app that works well with Shield TV and other products. There is still a ways to go, but I'm closer to shutting down my cable now than I was a few months ago, especially after recently losing my DVR to a hard drive failure.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I've been using HuluTV since it launched. It is not great. Going to try Youtube.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KC rumored to be one of first few markets to get Charter/TWC Gigabit, though it's only 35Mb upload, possibly starting Dec 19. A test market is $105/month but they may have to charge less in KC with all of the cheap Gigabit presence. Will be more interesting to see how they price lower tiers.

https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Lea ... eek-140899
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Charter (formerly TWC) now offers Gigabit in KC. KC is one of first few Charter markets to get it. Should be entire footprint, check your address at charter.com.

200Mbps down and 10Mbps up for $45/month and $50 install fee
400Mbps down and 20Mbps up for $70/month and $50 install fee
1000Mbps down and 35Mbps up for $105/month and $200 install fee

These are promo rates and looks like it goes up $20/month after first year but can probably renegotiate if you have access to a Gigabit competitor.

Current 100M Charter customers should get a free upgrade but may need a new modem or just a modem reboot to get the higher speeds.

Google Fiber is 100/100 for $50/month or 1000/1000 for $70/month - no install fees. And Google still offers the free 5M. GFBR offers Gigabit for $55 in San Antonio, will be interesting to see if they change that in KC with new Charter rates. But no 100 option in SA.

The 200M Charter a good deal for first year if you don't care about upload speed, the 200 download is much more than most need. Google Fiber has much better/lower latency locally and across US, which helps with voice calls, gaming and drawing web pages faster. Competition is good but Charter is not competing at all with Gigabit.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Star article on Charter Gigabit upgrades...
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 45534.html

Does anyone have 'free' LiNKCity Gigabit in North KC? There's no monthly rate after $300 install fee...
http://linkcity.org/residential/