Brookside

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Brookside

Post by chrizow »

voltopt wrote:I spent seven years in EBro (Rockhill Ridge) and recently moved. It wasn't a terrible neighborhood, but most of the neighbors had a sort of inward focus that didn't translate into a sense of community.
interesting. for us, in the 5 weeks we've been in BKS, we've met and chatted with as many, if not more, folks on our block that we did in 8 years in SHP.
most of our block there was nice-enough but either highly transitory (renters, students) or highly "inward" (to put it mildly!). maybe it's true everywhere, but i think in midtown and BKS things are very block-by-block. half the households on our block have spare keys to several houses on the block. very strong sense of community, which we hope to tap into!
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

chrizow wrote:
voltopt wrote:I spent seven years in EBro (Rockhill Ridge) and recently moved. It wasn't a terrible neighborhood, but most of the neighbors had a sort of inward focus that didn't translate into a sense of community.
interesting. for us, in the 5 weeks we've been in BKS, we've met and chatted with as many, if not more, folks on our block that we did in 8 years in SHP.
most of our block there was nice-enough but either highly transitory (renters, students) or highly "inward" (to put it mildly!). maybe it's true everywhere, but i think in midtown and BKS things are very block-by-block. half the households on our block have spare keys to several houses on the block. very strong sense of community, which we hope to tap into!
I'd agree with the block by block assessment. Another thing might be demographic - when I lived on Holmes/56th in BKS, I was mostly single or married without children, so my perspective was toward external things. To that end, the neighborhood was a bit underwhelming, but I think that's what people like most about it: it's relatively quiet and predictable. My block didn't have many children when I was living there, and the people who did have children seemed to segregate themselves from the renters and non-children folks. A handful of the houses were rentals, so that may have affected the internal/vs external vibe.

We've been on our block in Manheim for about 10 months, and everyone is incredibly friendly. There are many kids on the block and the neighbors regularly have fire pit gatherings, the kids wait at the bus stop together, people have communal dinners, etc. I appreciate the sense of community here, because most of the people have lived here for many years and are active. Also, the small, private neighborhood watch page isn't nearly as negative and bigoted as some of the other ones in midtown/brookside. I also appreciate that the demographics of the neighborhood are more closely aligned with our daughter's public school. Consistency!

I'd guess it is a block by block thing, like you said, in terms of neighborliness. I'm sure if I didn't spend 7 years there, I'd have a different perspective.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Does anyone have any intel on the owner/manager of the BKS Shops properties and their intentions? Seems like when they first acquired the property, there was a big uproar over threatened or rumored evictions (Foo's, BKS Toy and Science) but then it doesn't seem like much happened. Now I am hearing rumors again about Foo's being ousted. I am not specifically all that concerned about Foo's (though it would be a loss) but moreso the overall plans for the shops.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Julian will close in July

Given that it seems like Celina is invariably at the Belfry every time I've been in there (and that the Belfry's move across Grand fell apart), this doesn't strike me as terribly surprising.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I always guessed she like hanging at Belfry, but Julian paid the bills.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

She seems pretty hands on and maybe couldn't trust a daily operating manager at Julian with her name directly associated. Or running 2 locations was too much for her to handle. Whatever reason, too bad for BKS as Julian was pretty good. Eight years a long time for a chef driven concept anyway.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Tried to go to Julian back in October with out-of-town family. Was completely dead (albeit weeknight), had to wait quite a while for the one front of house staff member to acknowledge us, inquire about seating. Looked a little run down. No Celina. Ended up at Carmen's nearby. The writing seemed on the wall, which was disappointing as I remember it being a solid spot, and still love the location/building/patio.

Best of luck to Ms. Tio in the xroads, I need to get to the Belfry again, enjoyed my one prior experience. Also nice to see the xroads/urban core momentum between this shift, and rumors of Rye on the Plaza.
mykn

Post by mykn »

rxlexi wrote:Tried to go to Julian back in October with out-of-town family. Was completely dead (albeit weeknight), had to wait quite a while for the one front of house staff member to acknowledge us, inquire about seating. Looked a little run down. No Celina. Ended up at Carmen's nearby. The writing seemed on the wall, which was disappointing as I remember it being a solid spot, and still love the location/building/patio.

Best of luck to Ms. Tio in the xroads, I need to get to the Belfry again, enjoyed my one prior experience. Also nice to see the xroads/urban core momentum between this shift, and rumors of Rye on the Plaza.
We went over Easter weekend and it was the same thing, food wasn't as good as I remembered it either.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I went a couple of years ago and had the same experience - very dated interior, completely dead and food was just average. Hoping she can make the Belfry work.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

How to ensure the decline of all your businesses is to be the only person that can keep a place running well. After 8 years the entire cook staff should be able to keep a place going and there's a solid manager handling front of house.

What happens to The Belfry if the she ends up in the hospital for an extended period?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I have usually had positive experiences with the waitstaff at the Belfry. Much smaller space, but I can't imagine she HAS to be there.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Why does Brookside have such a bland restaurant scene? It seems like Waldo has passed up Brookside in terms of Selection and Quality.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Why does Brookside have such a bland restaurant scene? It seems like Waldo has passed up Brookside in terms of Selection and Quality.
that is a really great question, and i don't really have the answer. a guess could be that BKS, in general, is pretty family-focused and also has a fair amount of older folks with relatively conservative palates? hence you get a lot of chains and then pretty bland or non-descript restos and bars like Avenues, Forbes, Hoopers, Carmen's, etc. at the same time, while i have no data to back this up, i would wager that a lot of "foodie" spots around KC are patronized frequently by BKS area patrons - who simply drive to those restaurants and do not, necessarily, demand them closer to home?

We just moved to the area from midtown and have been told (not sure if true) that a lot of homes are being turned over from retirees to young folks and young families - so maybe some "new blood" in the area could have a positive impact on the choices? this is arguably evident already in the "East Brookside" stuff that is a little more eclectic (Heirloom, Unbakery, the forthcoming brewery). i hope that the core BKS area might eventually have some better options but i am not really optimistic since most of the real estate is now controlled by an out of town landlord that does not appear to prioritize local, independent businesses.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

flyingember wrote: What happens to The Belfry if the she ends up in the hospital for an extended period?
:o What are you planning!!? Are you that upset about the closing!?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

chrizow wrote:
We just moved to the area from midtown...
Sorry, curious, can I ask why?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

beautyfromashes wrote:
chrizow wrote:
We just moved to the area from midtown...
Sorry, curious, can I ask why?
we just gravitated towards the BKS vibe now that we have a toddler. our new block is full of kids. it's also much more walkable to amenities and services than our prior location (south hyde park). we do miss aspects of our old 'hood, in particular gillham park, which we lived across the street from. i am enjoying BKS and do not really have much desire to go back to midtown.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

I have heard a new restaurant will be announced for the Julian space soon. It will fill a niche that isn't currently in BKS. Also, a pizza/taproom will be opening adjacent to Brookside wine and spirits on 63rd as a sister business to the liquor store.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

chrizow wrote:
we just gravitated towards the BKS vibe now that we have a toddler. our new block is full of kids. it's also much more walkable to amenities and services than our prior location (south hyde park). we do miss aspects of our old 'hood, in particular gillham park, which we lived across the street from. i am enjoying BKS and do not really have much desire to go back to midtown.
Makes sense! I'm just always curious why people leave Midtown for the suburbs. Hope you enjoy it.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

it's also much more walkable to amenities and services than our prior location (south hyde park)
trying not to derail the conversation about BKS, but this statement is such a perfect example of how far Hyde Park, specifically, is from functioning as a truly desirable urban neighborhood. Without any retail in or near (Troost) it's boundaries, it's a little island of fine old homes but not really a great destination "neighborhood".

Needs just a couple decent spots (coffee shop, bar, cafe, boutique, grocer, whatever) to develop that feeling where an urban core home buyer can look there and say "yeah, it's a neat old house close to everything, AND I can walk to XYZ". Northeast has the same problem, and then some. Hopefully will change going forward, Troost in particular.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

rxlexi wrote:
it's also much more walkable to amenities and services than our prior location (south hyde park)
trying not to derail the conversation about BKS, but this statement is such a perfect example of how far Hyde Park, specifically, is from functioning as a truly desirable urban neighborhood. Without any retail in or near (Troost) it's boundaries, it's a little island of fine old homes but not really a great destination "neighborhood".

Needs just a couple decent spots (coffee shop, bar, cafe, boutique, grocer, whatever) to develop that feeling where an urban core home buyer can look there and say "yeah, it's a neat old house close to everything, AND I can walk to XYZ". Northeast has the same problem, and then some. Hopefully will change going forward, Troost in particular.
indeed. we really enjoyed being on the park, and Troost did offer a couple of nearby practical amenities (True Value, and CVS/Walgreens) which were sometimes handy, but overall Hyde Park (esp. Central and South) are quite remote from things if you are on foot. And, for that matter, it wasn't exactly pleasant to walk to Walgreens or True Value anyway.

In BKS we are a short and pretty pleasant walk away from two grocery stores, CVS, multiple coffee options, restaurants/bars (although, as others have said, not the most interesting restaurant/bar options), the dime store (which sells a surprising variety of practical things), wine/liquor shops, a nice neighborhood organic farmer's market, multiple parks, etc.

BKS might be "the suburbs" but it's also probably one of the most "complete" neighborhoods in KC from the standpoint of having the ability to take care of a lot of needs on foot (or by bike). the lack of diversity is def. a shortcoming but it's a trade-off we're making in the interest of other life metrics (and, at this point, it's probably not that much less diverse, functionally, than HP.)