OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by KCPowercat »

Send it to https://twitter.com/st_vockrodt

If he won't deal with it being a Star writer, I"m sure he's got someone back at the Pitch that will dig.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

swid wrote:
pash wrote:I still can't believe that nobody in the local press has reported on DeJanes's squatting in KCATA's right of way, nor that the pro-streetcar side are failing to make it known that their most noisome opponent is literally leading a political campaign to protect her commandeering of public property for her own use.
Oh, someday, I suppose that someone will stumble upon the collective oddities of 39.015224, -94.590256, the KCATA ROW, and the adjacent parcel owner and decide that others might want to know.
I used the historical imagery view in Google Earth to look at that property, and while some of the old pictures are grainy, it appears she's been making some nominal use of the KCATA land (possibly a garden?) for many years. In recent views she's become bolder and erected more permanent improvements on it--what appears to be a driveway and shed. With her being a lawyer, I'm sure she's familiar with adverse possession laws, and she may feel she has some standing at this point in any claim--although I'm not sure how the fact that the adverse party would be a governmental entity and she's built in a utility right-of-way might change things.

The lookback images at least clarify things for me a bit. She was already squatting on the property when the 2014 streetcar extension was proposed, so it's not like she grabbed it in response to the plan. So for her, "Save The Trolley Trail" really just meant, "save my backyard." I really don't understand what stake she has in the matter now though. An extension to UMKC wouldn't affect her property nor its taxes.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

HalcyonKC wrote:
swid wrote:
pash wrote:I still can't believe that nobody in the local press has reported on DeJanes's squatting in KCATA's right of way, nor that the pro-streetcar side are failing to make it known that their most noisome opponent is literally leading a political campaign to protect her commandeering of public property for her own use.
Oh, someday, I suppose that someone will stumble upon the collective oddities of 39.015224, -94.590256, the KCATA ROW, and the adjacent parcel owner and decide that others might want to know.
I used the historical imagery view in Google Earth to look at that property, and while some of the old pictures are grainy, it appears she's been making some nominal use of the KCATA land (possibly a garden?) for many years. In recent views she's become bolder and erected more permanent improvements on it--what appears to be a driveway and shed. With her being a lawyer, I'm sure she's familiar with adverse possession laws, and she may feel she has some standing at this point in any claim--although I'm not sure how the fact that the adverse party would be a governmental entity and she's built in a utility right-of-way might change things.

The lookback images at least clarify things for me a bit. She was already squatting on the property when the 2014 streetcar extension was proposed, so it's not like she grabbed it in response to the plan. So for her, "Save The Trolley Trail" really just meant, "save my backyard." I really don't understand what stake she has in the matter now though. An extension to UMKC wouldn't affect her property nor its taxes.
I am pretty certain you cannot gain ownership of a publicly owned property by adverse possession. It only applies to private property.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The right-of-way is not public property I would assume since it is not owned by the city nor county nor state nor federal governments.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

It is owned by the ATA
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It's like the streetcar authority but bistate.

The KCATA runs a special district that's a subdivision of both states.

So it's more like a school district owning land.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"So it's more like a school district owning land."

Not quite. A school district is a government entity, an independent government entity. It's been awhile since I was part of a discussion on this so I can't remember what one said that defined what made the difference. But the KCATA is more like a private company instead of a government entity.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

it's a political subdivision of the state and a corporation, rsmo 238.010

"There is created the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority of the Kansas City Area Transportation District (hereinafter referred to as the "Authority"), which shall be a body corporate and politic and a political subdivision of the States of Missouri and Kansas."
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Not every act gets a tweet or a press release.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:Not every act gets a tweet or a press release.
I would hope not.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

pash wrote: Let's return to the point: Sherry DeJanes has taken a public agency's land for her own use and is leading an on-going political campaign to keep that public land from being put to a public purpose that might interfere with her squatting. And nobody's doing a damn thing about it, or even bothering to make known what she's doing, and has been doing for several years now.
Something tells me as a state-level corporation/political entity they can demolish any unauthorized improvements on their land without asking. Making it a non-issue until they need to use it.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I don't think your line of reasoning is good in the long term for the streetcar or its extension. It would fit in nicely with a theme of city government abuse and bullying. If the city would pursue that demolition and then not build on the ROW due to its poor scoring it would seem quite petty and punitive.

Time & place.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I don't think DeJanes warrants any more attention than she already gets and isn't the reason the extension vote failed. That dishonor would lie with East Side leaders.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Does anyone know how many people voted in the last election within the expanded TDD bounds?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote:Does anyone know how many people voted in the last election within the expanded TDD bounds?
you mean the april 4 municipal? i surprisingly do not have that information. KCEB charges for voter files. what question do you want to answer?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

DaveKCMO wrote:
kboish wrote:Does anyone know how many people voted in the last election within the expanded TDD bounds?
you mean the april 4 municipal? i surprisingly do not have that information. KCEB charges for voter files. what question do you want to answer?
??

https://www.kceb.org/useruploads/4417/S ... L_4.17.pdf
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

If I sent someone the precinct list would you calculate this for me? #exhausted