OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: OFFICIAL - Hyatt Regency Convention Hotel

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon May 29, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Sunk costs are one thing, higher construction costs due to delays or lost convention revenue is totally different and could end up being greater than sunk costs at this time. Again, they fail to see the bigger picture and are focused on unsupported by the majority grass root campaigns that only seek to obstruct what the city leaders are entitled to do. Personally, I think they're upset that the GO bonds passed despite their work against them and now they're seeking to reaffirm their role. I also contend that if they've been battling this for this long and have lost time and time again, perhaps it is best to refocus their attention elsewhere or try a new method to communicate their point. Maybe one of them should run for office.....
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

This is no longer a question of legalities, but strictly politics. If the current council decides that CFRG's political sway is overstated then they'll go ahead and use tools at their disposal to make the deal happen.

It might yield some bad press, but no one will lose an election because of it, assuming the process is handled/presented/spun effectively.

GO Bond election changed the conventional wisdom in this town.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

grovester wrote:This is no longer a question of legalities, but strictly politics. If the current council decides that CFRG's political sway is overstated then they'll go ahead and use tools at their disposal to make the deal happen.

It might yield some bad press, but no one will lose an election because of it, assuming the process is handled/presented/spun effectively.

GO Bond election changed the conventional wisdom in this town.
The current council should check CFRG's facebook page. 1-2 people "like" some of their posts and its always the same 1-2 people. One of them is Sue Burke and the other isn't. That's about as extensive as their political sway is.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Can a petition to counter-sue be started?
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

So will the developers move forward even in light of CFRG?
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

longviewmo wrote:Can a petition to counter-sue be started?
Do you want to run-around-sue?
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Is it just me or does the design for the new convention hotel look like complete trash?
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

justin8216 wrote:Is it just me or does the design for the new convention hotel look like complete trash?
We've discussed the Hyatt Medical Center's horrible design at length a few pages back. We've all just come to accept it now.
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

Just checked HereToStayKC.com, and was happy to find information regarding the petition. I think the post does a good job answering questions as to what will happen next.

http://heretostaykc.com/get-the-facts-a ... el-effort/
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

miz.jordan17 wrote:Just checked HereToStayKC.com, and was happy to find information regarding the petition. I think the post does a good job answering questions as to what will happen next.

http://heretostaykc.com/get-the-facts-a ... el-effort/
Also, I'm not sure what the exact petition's text is, but this is maybe a route the City's lawyers are thinking about.

"Are there any rules about what kinds of ordinances can be presented by initiative petition?

Yes. Sometimes an initiated ordinance is illegal and the City may contest submitting the ordinance to the voters. For example, only ordinances that are “legislative” should be proposed by initiative. Ordinances that are “administrative” should not be proposed by initiative. A “legislative” ordinance generally is one that is general in nature and presents a new policy or plan. Ordinances that are temporary or special in nature or that merely pursue an existing plan are administrative. "
UrbanKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by UrbanKC »

Are there any actual updates on the hotel itself, and how close we are to getting groundwork started?

The petition seems useless and pointless, especially if the city just settles everything and gets started. How close are they?
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

UrbanKC wrote:Are there any actual updates on the hotel itself, and how close we are to getting groundwork started?

The petition seems useless and pointless, especially if the city just settles everything and gets started. How close are they?
This is the latest I could find. From what I can tell it involves the Hereford House and the Hotel being able to add that property.

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... N6rhMyK4Pf
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

hartliss wrote:
UrbanKC wrote:Are there any actual updates on the hotel itself, and how close we are to getting groundwork started?

This is the latest I could find. From what I can tell it involves the Hereford House and the Hotel being able to add that property.

For clarity, the Herford House site is at 20th and main.

This is the American Herford Association property
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

flyingember wrote:
hartliss wrote:

For clarity, the Herford House site is at 20th and main.

This is the American Herford Association property
Correct, my bad!
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

Possible way of circumventing petitioners!

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 18579.html
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

YAAAAAAY!

Convention hotel opponents come up short in referendum signatures

"the city's Planning, Zoning and Economic Development Committee will vote on a new ordinance Wednesday regarding the zoning and development plan for the site. If the full council approves the plan, it would immediately take effect – and thwart any referendum challenge."

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... rt-in.html
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

2 moving parts.

They have another 10 days for more signatures.

The council will likely pass the accelerated measure, but I bet that gets challenged in court.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

grovester wrote:2 moving parts.

They have another 10 days for more signatures.

The council will likely pass the accelerated measure, but I bet that gets challenged in court.
Yea, the article sounds promising but agree with grovester here....this isn't over until dirt is turned.
UrbanKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by UrbanKC »

It passed the P&Z Committee and is on to the Council, which meets at 3:00pm today.