OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote:question about qualification for the ballot. If for some reason you do not qualify for a ballot for some technical reason (like incorrectly filling out the form, but otherwise qualifying) will you be notified in advance that you do not qualify or do they simply not send you a ballot when the time comes?
the only rejections i've seen thus far are:

1) applicant not signing the form
2) applicant registered to vote outside the TDD boundary
3) applicant not showing in KCEB voter file

having a fillable PDF this time has greatly reduced processing time, similar to the general absentee ballot application: http://www.sos.mo.gov/cmsimages/forms/e ... sentee.pdf

you can call the court and confirm your application was accepted -- (816) 881-6671. if you fail to qualify, you will simply not receive a ballot.

that number is on the court's website and was in the public notice in the star (published 3x).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The online form isn't working for me. When I fill it out it says that my address is not valid. I suspect it's the condo #. I typed it exactly as listed on my voter ID card and other ways, not taking it.

Also, I noticed it shows the address to mail it to in a popup window. Does it also put on the generated PDF as it should instead of that popup.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

DaveKCMO wrote: ...
you can call the court and confirm your application was accepted -- (816) 881-6671. if you fail to qualify, you will simply not receive a ballot.
Thanks, appreciate the info.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:
That's another area for confusion. Nothing on the ballot request form says that someone has to contact a phone number to get their status for receiving a ballot. That's the kind of thing someone can file a grievance and mess with the election.

See https://www.kceb.org/voters/rights/

In person someone can file a provisional ballot and be validated later. That at least provides a chance for due process.

Yes, voters need to take personal responsibility to check but if the process for how to check isn't clearly outlined how would they know they need to be responsible?

There's no reason any election should be confusing about what the process involves. TDD elections are already a place opponents focus on, this one needs to be stupidly above board.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

flyingember wrote:
That's another area for confusion. Nothing on the ballot request form says that someone has to contact a phone number to get their status for receiving a ballot. That's the kind of thing someone can file a grievance and mess with the election.

FROM THE APPLICATION ITSELF:
Questions should be addressed to (816) 881-6671.
It is your responsibility to submit a complete and timely application. If you fail to do so, you will not receive a
ballot.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

That's not on every application form prior to submissions, especially if you're working on automated submission of your website.
https://streetcarvote.org/

Again, details matter.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

flyingember wrote:That's not on every application form prior to submissions, especially if you're working on automated submission of your website.
https://streetcarvote.org/

Again, details matter.
which is why you should read what you sign, especially when it says "I declare under penalties of perjury that I am qualified to vote in this election" on both our web form and the paper form.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

100% agreed on reading but working in IT I'm used to dumbing things down from tech speak and putting key text in stupidly clear giant red text.

I use pretty images
I hand hold
I write lists a lot

I know hand holding is well covered with events for ballot submission. The map is a better pretty image now. That leaves the last part.

I like the website because it takes a minimum amount of information and hand holds the person along. It just is missing the first step or what if you don't know if you should be filling this out? Don't let them guess wrong and not get a ballot, point them in the right direction on who to call.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

get your ballot applications in, people! only 767 applications received as of today. spread the word!

official site: https://www.16thcircuit.org/streetcar (download, complete the PDF, sign, and return via mail/fax/hand)
automated version: https://streetcarvote.org/ (works best on touch devices, automatically faxes result and proof of voter reg to court)
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

wait, so if I live in the starter line district(downtown), can I vote in this phase 2 election?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

dnweava wrote:wait, so if I live in the starter line district(downtown), can I vote in this phase 2 election?
yes
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

kboish wrote:
dnweava wrote:wait, so if I live in the starter line district(downtown), can I vote in this phase 2 election?
yes
wow, I thought it was only phase 2 area that could vote on it. The city hasn't been very clear on this. We need to spread the word to downtowners then! I just applied for my ballot.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

That's a bigger point that I don't think has been made blatantly enough: Anyone living in the current TDD would be a fool/incredibly spiteful to not request a ballot (and then vote yes) for the expanded TDD.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Interesting, the TDD results are due back three days after the Chastain plan is on the ballot. One week in August will determine if the city has $0 for rail or not, between the two choices.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

We will know the uncertified results for the TDD election on August 2.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Also, if phase 2 passes. Then the mainstreet corridor can outnumber brookside or eastside areas and get more expansions while not necessarily needing 50% of the vote in those areas since the existing area can vote to raise someone else's taxes while theirs would stay the same. Hmmm
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

dnweava wrote:Also, if phase 2 passes. Then the mainstreet corridor can outnumber brookside or eastside areas and get more expansions while not necessarily needing 50% of the vote in those areas since the existing area can vote to raise someone else's taxes while theirs would stay the same. Hmmm
That seems dangerous. The benefit of the TDD approach to me is the strong local buy in. I'd be very reluctant to use it this way, and would likely vote against it.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WoodDraw wrote:
dnweava wrote:Also, if phase 2 passes. Then the mainstreet corridor can outnumber brookside or eastside areas and get more expansions while not necessarily needing 50% of the vote in those areas since the existing area can vote to raise someone else's taxes while theirs would stay the same. Hmmm
That seems dangerous. The benefit of the TDD approach to me is the strong local buy in. I'd be very reluctant to use it this way, and would likely vote against it.
Which is why the courts have to review the proposed district so someone doesn't try to bully an expansion in place
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The city isn't the driving force of this tdd and the RTA has been very clear that the original TDD residents is able to vote in phase 2. It's on the map and everything
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

You can only build the project you describe in the TDD petition, unless you go back to those voters to change it.