Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by DaveKCMO »

mykn wrote:Yes, this was an OHP meeting actually. Please come to the next one, we will be discussing the OPUS development more. I believe the next will be on June 21st.

Have you gotten signed up for the streetcar election yet? We're having an OHP signup at Mother Earth Coffee this Sunday from 11-6.
events all over midtown this weekend: https://www.facebook.com/pg/streetcarneighbors/events/
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

DaveKCMO wrote:
mykn wrote:Yes, this was an OHP meeting actually. Please come to the next one, we will be discussing the OPUS development more. I believe the next will be on June 21st.

Have you gotten signed up for the streetcar election yet? We're having an OHP signup at Mother Earth Coffee this Sunday from 11-6.
events all over midtown this weekend: https://www.facebook.com/pg/streetcarneighbors/events/
As a Pro Streetcar person I was wondering Are there any places where anti-streetcar sign ups going on? Does anyone know if the churches in Midtown are getting parishioners to sign up so they can vote no?
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
mykn

Post by mykn »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:

As a Pro Streetcar person I was wondering Are there any places were there are anti-streetcar sign ups going on? Does anyone know if the churches in Midtown are getting parishioners to sign up so they can vote no?
Good question, I haven't heard of any besides this DeJanes nonsense in our neighborhood. I try to stay away from that crap though, no need for higher blood pressure.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Seems many Midtowners were not particularly interested in the original downtown streetcar line but now that it's running successfully they want it through Midtown. Even those I know who mostly were concerned about property tax increases now want it as long as it's free to ride. Was almost certain the initial Midtown streetcar expansion vote a few years ago would not pass as many first wanted to see if downtown line would work out. This is truly the ShowMe state after all.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

earthling wrote: This is truly the ShowMe state after all.
It is surprising how accurate this adage really is.
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Does anyone know if the churches in Midtown are getting parishioners to sign up so they can vote no?
I haven't heard a peep from my church, which is right on Main. I would guess -- although I in no way represent the parish -- that our leadership would be in favor of the streetcar extension, because it could make it easier for people in need to reach the church for food distribution, which is a large component of our outreach.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

earthling wrote:Seems many Midtowners were not particularly interested in the original downtown streetcar line but now that it's running successfully they want it through Midtown. Even those I know who mostly were concerned about property tax increases now want it as long as it's free to ride. Was almost certain the initial Midtown streetcar expansion vote a few years ago would not pass as many first wanted to see if downtown line would work out. This is truly the ShowMe state after all.
Would an expansion be free? I thought the plaza route would be a pay route.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri May 19, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Free fare buses would/should be a boost to re-energizing the city core, especially the E Side. With KC's desire to become a 'living lab', that would certainly make for an interesting say 5 year experiment if the TDD or other funding can be pulled off.

Many cities have free bus along key shopping/tourist districts (like Denver's 16th St Mall) but is there any US city with several free bus lines for purpose of commutes or broader connectivity?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Kind of what I was talking about with the transportation aspect, was that if you could establish a small tax in each county, or a multi county transportation tax, then we are no longer waiting around to see if the Feds will hand us the rest of the money. At that point anyone city or district within that boundary that wanted to establish a tdd could start that and the build out could begin. I know that transportation as a right seems kind of radical, but I honestly think things like that help bring young people and hype to our city, in previously unseen quantities.

The other benefit is it would be a huge helping hand for the east side residents, and instead of wondering if we will have 10 miles of rail before 2050 we could have 50-60. I also think this might be a solution to our sprawl, a way to level the playing field with free parking, and bring density not only to our city but to our suburbs as well
mykn

Post by mykn »

Ohh how about higher taxes on parking lots to pay for fare free busses!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:Many cities have free bus along key shopping/tourist districts (like Denver's 16th St Mall) but is there any US city with several free bus lines for purpose of commutes or broader connectivity?
there are no US cities our size with citywide free transit. most are either college or resort towns, or only offer free service in a specific zone (typically downtowns).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:
earthling wrote:Many cities have free bus along key shopping/tourist districts (like Denver's 16th St Mall) but is there any US city with several free bus lines for purpose of commutes or broader connectivity?
there are no US cities our size with citywide free transit. most are either college or resort towns, or only offer free service in a specific zone (typically downtowns).
There's a wikipedia article on the subject
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... ted_States
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The former Coldsnow building has a sign up saying it will be a new dog camp (or something like that)
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote:The former Coldsnow building has a sign up saying it will be a new dog camp (or something like that)
which building?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The one just north or Pryde's - the beige stucco building. I think it was Keith Coldsnow, no?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote:The one just north or Pryde's - the beige stucco building. I think it was Keith Coldsnow, no?
Not even close

This is who was there last
https://www.facebook.com/Gore-Automotiv ... 411110087/

The Coldsnow art store is 9 blocks west
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

flyingember wrote:
kcjak wrote:The one just north or Pryde's - the beige stucco building. I think it was Keith Coldsnow, no?
Not even close

Closer than you realize. That building was an art supply store at one point. It closed maybe 2005 or later. I was a Keith Coldsnow's before they moved. It may have also been a Utretcht before they moved, though I remember that they were in that strip mall that houses FreeBirds. Source: I worked in the neighborhood and shopped at both for work-related supplies.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

flyingember wrote:
Not even close

Yeah, it definitely was Coldsnow back in the 1990s.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I distinctly remember that being a Coldsnow--or at least some kind of art supply place--whilst wandering around Westport when I was supposed to be in high school.