OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: OFFICIAL - Hyatt Regency Convention Hotel

Post by WoodDraw »

Another tidbit from the downtowners, they seem to know it's a pedestrian nightmare at parts. He talked about doing art along that side during the presentation. I was going to ask for follow up, but he had to go to a council meeting.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

A lot of renderings we haven't seen yet are available in the document downloadable from this page.

A lot of the commentary on here about the street-level experience around this building, especially along Baltimore, are brought up by the City Plan Commission.

Everything is towards the end of this document, which is rather large.

KCDowntown
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

I'll add the renderings here. More technical drawings are available in the PDF.

WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Somebody likes red cars.

Anyway, I think a little pedestrian shittery can be forgiven with projects like these, but yikes.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't think this looks too bad. It would be nice if taller, but it will be a pretty substantial building in that location and the latest design is not bad. Also, it's near the convention center, which is pretty much a dead zone for pedestrians anyway, just like convention center districts are in every city. Hopefully the city puts more effort into how the cordish buildings interact with the street and the naming of them (don't clutter up the kc skyline with One Two Three light signs). Those buildings need to have good street and sidewalk interaction. I'm not sure much can even be done with the Hyatt Hotel.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Approved. Maximum price set in May, financing after that. Groundbreaking late summer. Open late 2019/early 2020.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 45789.html
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KSHB was using old pictures from the initial, taller rendering last night on their newscast [-X
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

StrangerThings wrote:At this point, it wouldn't be very smart on Cordish to name the third tower something other than 3 light. The 4th tower will likely not be 4 light though, so there's that. If they make it to a 5th and 6th tower, I don't see them sticking the # light label on those as they won't be sister buildings to 1-3 light.
To that end, I've noticed in the past that Cordish originally only reserved the wesbite domains for their one, two and three light towers.

KCDowntown
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

What about instead of three or four light, can we petition for them to be called red light blue light?
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

Stranger- Do you know when 3 light will be announced. I remember they said that construction would start before 2 was completed. I think 2 looks Great!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If developers want city tax help they absolutely should.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Riverite wrote:What about instead of three or four light, can we petition for them to be called red light blue light?
+1 :lol:

A "green eggs and ham" cafe in one of the retail spaces/lobbies would make this all the better.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So is the financing all in place, any open items before pulling trigger or potential roadblocks?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Financing is not in place.

Plenty of stumbling blocks ahead. The major obstacle is a final max cost from JE Dunn which is due in May as flyingember pointed out. If that is within their current estimates then they should be to secure financing (still a potential roadblock though) and be able to close on the contract for the Hereford building and get them moved out and proceed with demo and site prep.

Edit: oh and I think the city is still trying to figure out how to unencumber the land contribution that is currently being used as collateral for some other financing deal...
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

kboish wrote:Financing is not in place.

Plenty of stumbling blocks ahead. The major obstacle is a final max cost from JE Dunn which is due in May as flyingember pointed out. If that is within their current estimates then they should be to secure financing (still a potential roadblock though) and be able to close on the contract for the Hereford building and get them moved out and proceed with demo and site prep.

Edit: oh and I think the city is still trying to figure out how to unencumber the land contribution that is currently being used as collateral for some other financing deal...
Have to agree with this synopsis as well..while the "approvals" are in place the most important component (financing) isn't. Big, big hurdles.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cordish has gotten a really fair deal from the city and the city has bent over backwards to make their investment work....I don't think there is much evidence of the city being hard to work with in this case.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

And Cordish doesn't seem to be making much effort with P&L still having several empty retail spots. Hard to grasp how they could let several spots sit empty for years. You'd think offering lower rents and getting some revenue on those spaces is better than none at all. The corner spot across from the movie theater should easily be filled by now. Are they perhaps exploiting the KC deal? Not insinuating they are, just wondering if they benefit somehow not filling those spaces.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

right fit = rally house 10 years later?....meh.

I totally understand that governments have processes in place that private business may think is cumbersome...I don't think those processes are a bad thing nor are they unique to KCMO.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Can you give us a retail type or example for what you think Cordish would consider the right fit for a space like 14th and Main?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

High end ponaks