KC needs "yield to pedestrians: state law" signs at every intersection...

Transportation topics in KC
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

KC needs "yield to pedestrians: state law" signs at every intersection...

Post by dnweava »

As someone who walks everywhere, drivers in this city need signage telling them to stop/yield to pedestrians in crosswalks because literally no driver in this city obeys this law.

longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: KC needs "yield to pedestrians: state law" signs at every intersection...

Post by longviewmo »

This feels like Reddit.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

First there needs to be better marked pedestrian crosswalks, with large stripes. Second, the signs need to read '$300 fine' as well. Even if not enforced, it should help with the problem.

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I recently had a conversation about those signs--was informed that they are more effective at getting vehicles to stop than either the typical curb-mounted crossing signs or similar signs with flashing lights/leds. And, obviously, much cheaper.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dnweava wrote:As someone who walks everywhere, drivers in this city need signage telling them to stop/yield to pedestrians in crosswalks because literally no driver in this city obeys this law.

in KCMO you have to buy these for your neighborhood.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

So, each downtown neighborhood would have to actually purchase X amount of these to have it be uniform in the downtown area? That sucks.
KC is the way to be!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AllThingsKC wrote:So, each downtown neighborhood would have to actually purchase X amount of these to have it be uniform in the downtown area? That sucks.
correct.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Just need to slap on "$300 fine" and they might actually work.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:Just need to slap on "$300 fine" and they might actually work.
There's truth to this.

Nearly every parking violation you see comes with a low starting fine. Too many fines don't adjust with inflation so the real cost of parking and not caring goes down each year. Couple that with decreasing enforcement and it's no wonder there's parking issues downtown.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

DaveKCMO wrote:
dnweava wrote:As someone who walks everywhere, drivers in this city need signage telling them to stop/yield to pedestrians in crosswalks because literally no driver in this city obeys this law.

in KCMO you have to buy these for your neighborhood.
well that is straight up retarded....

We should start fundraising then. I'll throw in $20 towards one of these signs.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

In KC, the law is 'just a suggestion'. Threats of high fines even if not enforced would probably be more effective. Intersections that have common problems with gridlocks also need signs that say "$300 fine". Is basically pointless to post 'state (or local) law'.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

*pushes up glasses, takes out retainer*

Interestingly, that sign isn't even in Missouri's road signage guide that MoDOT adopted in lieu of using the federal MUTCD.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Almost got rear ended today yielding to peds in crosswalk on Gillham near Pershing. The car instead swerved into the lane on my right and on past the startled peds.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I believe Gillham is being targeted for a road diet.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Nearly every parking violation you see comes with a low starting fine. Too many fines don't adjust with inflation so the real cost of parking and not caring goes down each year. Couple that with decreasing enforcement and it's no wonder there's parking issues downtown.
I'm not sure this is true. In KCMO, at least, a basic parking ticket is like $75 - highest I've ever seen. Enforcement, however, is non-existent throughout much of the city, especially outside downtown loop.

RE: ped xing signs, I agree they're more effective than the roadside signs and wish they were used more frequently. However what we really need are more pedestrians, and more confident pedestrians that understand that they own the ROW within a crosswalk. Not sure how to change this, culturally. In the midwest, even in pedestrian heavy areas those folks likely got there by car, and are used to taking a deferrential role to all auto traffic.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I"m about to strap on my gopro as often as I encounter hostile or inattentive drivers and I walk pretty pedestrian heavy streets.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I enjoy yielding to pedestrians on my bike. It allows me to reassure them that they have the right of way when they thank me and also gives me the opportunity to shame cars into stopping. Once or twice now I've been riding on a street with two lanes in one direction where I'll stop in my lane and then gesture the other lane into stopping.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

rxlexi wrote:
RE: ped xing signs, I agree they're more effective than the roadside signs and wish they were used more frequently. However what we really need are more pedestrians, and more confident pedestrians that understand that they own the ROW within a crosswalk. Not sure how to change this, culturally. In the midwest, even in pedestrian heavy areas those folks likely got there by car, and are used to taking a deferrential role to all auto traffic.
Really agree with this. I'm not encouraging people to walk out in front of cars, but being aggressive works.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I've seen cities make concerted efforts to change driving culture and they often work. Right now, the Seattle area is trying to change the culture around tail-gating by publicizing the obvious dangers and, importantly, targeting the offenders and handing out big fines. Getting drivers to respect pedestrians is something that should be a priority in every city in the US. Fines in most of Europe for not stopping at crosswalks with pedestrians ready to cross can be draconian, I'd have no problem with that approach in KC or the US. First things first though, in half the cross walks in the plaza area, the paint is so dull that they are tough to even see.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Highlander wrote:First things first though, in half the cross walks in the plaza area, the paint is so dull that they are tough to even see.
The crosswalk paint job is much worse in many key pedestrian crossings in Midtown/Westport area, especially where there is not a stoplight. About 41st/Main by Starbucks is an active crosswalk and drivers can't see the lines. It needs to be solid block markings per second post above, not two thin stripes, which easily fade.