OFFICIAL - Embassy Suites (former Federal Reserve)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Old Federal Reserve (925 Grand)

Post by geeman68 »

Any word on movement for the Embassy Suites conversion?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

geeman68 wrote:Any word on movement for the Embassy Suites conversion?
financing...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Does anyone know how many parking spaces are in the attached garage? In an old article about the development, it was mentioned that there were 528 parking spaces in both the garage and the attached surface parking lot. I just want to know how many are in the garage itself.

From Google Aerial, there appears to be 40 spots on the surface lot, so I'm guessing 488 spots in the garage. The hotel will have 301 rooms. That leaves 187 spaces for staff and visitors in the garage. Not all hotel guests will arrive in a car, so more spaces might be available for other purposes. I wonder how many employees will work at the hotel at maximum staffing during a shift? Does anyone have any guess based on other similarly-sized hotels like the President or Phillips?

I'm trying to figure out if the surface parking lot can be redeveloped, with some underground parking, if the Grand Avenue Temple office building gets redeveloped into apartments, and additional new apartments are built above any new garage there.
cpt4599
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by cpt4599 »

Scaffolding was setup on the south side of the building today. Is this project moving forward?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

cpt4599 wrote:Scaffolding was setup on the south side of the building today. Is this project moving forward?
Really? I didn't seen anything. They have a lane blocked off, and did some sidewalk repair it looks like, but I haven't seen any worker activity. Maybe you saw some overflow from Pickwick? Or maybe I missed it.

I'd love to see this move forward. This building, especially on the east side garage and north side, sees quite a bit of...loitering, for lack of a better word. Pickwick security has helped a bit, but only so much can be done until it's developed.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

WoodDraw wrote:
cpt4599 wrote:Scaffolding was setup on the south side of the building today. Is this project moving forward?
Really? I didn't seen anything. They have a lane blocked off, and did some sidewalk repair it looks like, but I haven't seen any worker activity. Maybe you saw some overflow from Pickwick? Or maybe I missed it.

I'd love to see this move forward. This building, especially on the east side garage and north side, sees quite a bit of...loitering, for lack of a better word. Pickwick security has helped a bit, but only so much can be done until it's developed.
The east side of the Federal Reserve looks like some defensive wall out of the movie "The maze". It's just one of the most stark, unfriendly, blank intimidating walls in KC if not the Midwest. Getting something done would also help out the Pickwick. The Pickwick is a nice building but the east side of the fed reserve really harshes its vibe.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Highlander wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:

The east side of the Federal Reserve looks like some defensive wall out of the movie "The maze". It's just one of the most stark, unfriendly, blank intimidating walls in KC if not the Midwest. Getting something done would also help out the Pickwick. The Pickwick is a nice building but the east side of the fed reserve really harshes its vibe.
Agreed. The security concrete planters aren't the friendliest either. Building needs a lot of work.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I walked by to make sure I wasn't going crazy. A few boarded up windows, some sidewalk repair, but no sign of activity. The planters and garage entrances seem to be worker/homeless smoke break and drinking areas. Last night a group of people hanging and playing music on the east side garage exit.

This building really is a disaster. So pedestrian hostile. If that surface lot on the North East side could be developed and just anything to break up the monotiney of the awfulness of this place and add some light. Especially with the retail opening up at Pickwick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I mural would help that east face quite a bit.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:I mural would help that east face quite a bit.
Or a light show, or some such decorative use (see page 3)
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote:I mural would help that east face quite a bit.
Would it though? Unless they paint it in neon.

What would really help is some landscaping, if they're going to keep the security bunker feel to it. And light. And develop that surface lot.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I really find the building handsome, if austere. To alleviate the austerity I'd first replace the security barricades cum planters with less massive planters made of materials that would provide relief from the concrete overload. I'd consider changing the color on the gridwork. I don't know what's on the other side of the grid, but opening those spaces for retail/food service would be nice. I'd explore turning the facade into a green wall. Of course, someone would have to pay to have that maintained but it could be beautiful.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I'm not sure which I'd rather have, an East Loop development or this building redone. It breaks my mellow every time I walk past it.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

There were some lights on in the tower when I walked by last night. Not sure if that's normal, or if the pigeons have learned how to use electricity.

Pickwick is looking very nice. Are the developers doing anything else downtown?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but who currently owns this building? Is there any way we could get in touch with some local gardening club and partner with the city and do something with these planters? I'd be willing to throw in some donations. Just a little color in the spring would at least make this block look presentable. Local artists as well, now that the streets have a little more light.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DELTA QUAD HOLDINGS LLC
10459 PARK MEADOWS DR
LONE TREE, CO 80124
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

flyingember wrote:DELTA QUAD HOLDINGS LLC
10459 PARK MEADOWS DR
LONE TREE, CO 80124
Thanks. I guess I'm less sympathetic then, especially since I just watched rats run in and out of the building on my way home. Do they own the garage as well?

At least the rats and pigeons seem happy. "The Old Federal Reserve - An Urban Animal Sanctuary"
Last edited by WoodDraw on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Looks like they're in chapter 11 bankruptcy. That explains the financing...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I have a feeling the last announced hotel plan won't happen, and the building will be sold again.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

FangKC wrote:I have a feeling the last announced hotel plan won't happen, and the building will be sold again.
Agreed.