OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: New Broadway Bridge

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:I'm all for increased ped connections anywhere but I can't imagine even with these upgrades many are going to use this.
That's not the point of ADA. It could be one person in a wheelchair once a year and the Feds expect an accommodation, assuming there's access for able bodied users.
understand that. I also understand the concept of prioritization.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

https://twitter.com/nlbmprez/status/746472793118646272

You mean the one we're going to replace?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote:https://twitter.com/nlbmprez/status/746472793118646272

You mean the one we're going to replace?
a new structure would keep the name, i'm told.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Might need new title for this topic.
"KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- There are few names more synonymous with Kansas City than his. An effort underway to honor John “Buck” O’Neil was introduced in the Missouri State Senate on Tuesday morning, as two legislators unveiled a bill proposing a Kansas City landmark to be renamed to honor the baseball legend.

He wasn't born in the metro, but it's said that O'Neil grew up along with Kansas City. Missouri State Senators Jason Holsman (Dem.) and Ryan Silvey (Rep) along with Negro Leagues Baseball Museum President Bob Kendrick, are pushing to see the downtown Broadway Bridge renamed to honor O'Neil."
http://fox4kc.com/2016/03/01/broadway-b ... eils-name/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Might need new title for this topic.
nope. as i mentioned above, the legislation supposedly applies to a new bridge in this location.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

How does the Broadway family feel about this?
KC is the way to be!
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

It looked like one of the new bump-outs caught a truck today. Practically jammed the whole loop while it was stuck. I'm too tired right now to link the pictures from Twitter of it but a bunch of people were complaining about the improvements saying stuff along the lines of, 'Of course this would happen,' and 'Why mess up a perfectly good intersection?' :| :| :|

This incident really shows why the bridge needs to be replaced and realigned instead of refurbished. Any money spent on refurbishing it now is the same as throwing it away because that doesn't solve the real problem of interstate through traffic that's too big or inappropriate for city streets and intersections.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

JLowe2018 wrote:It looked like one of the new bump-outs caught a truck today. Practically jammed the whole loop while it was stuck. I'm too tired right now to link the pictures from Twitter of it but a bunch of people were complaining about the improvements saying stuff along the lines of, 'Of course this would happen,' and 'Why mess up a perfectly good intersection?' :| :| :|
From the angle shown in the traffic cam, it looked more like the truck took the turn too tight and hit a car that was turning right from the rightmost lane. The truck didn't appear to be wedged against the new barriers, instead a car was wedged between the truck and one of the other barriers that has always been there.

Those who said it was a perfectly good intersection before are probably the same people who liked to go straight from the right turn lanes and the left turn lane, turn right from lower Broadway southbound, or turn left from northbound Broadway. :)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

get ready to hear more about "NoLo" (north loop)...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No mo no lo
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

important meeting! http://www.beyondtheloopkc.com/event
Exploring the future of the Broadway/O’Neil Bridge and North Loop
FEBRUARY 23, 2-4:30 PM
Kansas City Public Library Central Branch
Helzberg Auditorium
(FIFTH FLOOR)
14 West 10th Street
Kansas City, MO 64105
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

A really interesting article on a program called "Highways to Boulevards". KC not included.

https://www.cnu.org/our-projects/highways-boulevards
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

BIG turnout at this afternoon's public meeting. nicely run public meeting by burns & mac. no news, just asking participants to weigh in on goals and priorities, etc. lots of tweets: https://twitter.com/BeyondTheLoopKC

more meetings are coming.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

What's the guess of this actually turning into a serious, big project? Obviously there has been a big PR rollout of getting rid of the highway and reconnecting the CBD with river market, but is this something that has city support or more let's let a few dozen people talk about capping truman road like we always do?

I think this is one of the more important discussions we should be having and there isn't even a thread. This would be big for downtown.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote:What's the guess of this actually turning into a serious, big project? Obviously there has been a big PR rollout of getting rid of the highway and reconnecting the CBD with river market, but is this something that has city support or more let's let a few dozen people talk about capping truman road like we always do?

I think this is one of the more important discussions we should be having and there isn't even a thread. This would be big for downtown.
The study is being sponsored by MODOT, MARCKC, and the City of Kansas City.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

ldai_phs wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:What's the guess of this actually turning into a serious, big project? Obviously there has been a big PR rollout of getting rid of the highway and reconnecting the CBD with river market, but is this something that has city support or more let's let a few dozen people talk about capping truman road like we always do?

The study is being sponsored by MODOT, MARCKC, and the City of Kansas City.
And the federal government is involved too, I think? That's why I'm hopeful :) I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight into how people are thinking? Like is there any opposition developing yet?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I like that they are talking about the useable amount of land made available. But, I almost worry that that land won't be used well and that they'll take the opportunity to building some sprawling fortress 'since they have the space'.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

beautyfromashes wrote:I like that they are talking about the useable amount of land made available. But, I almost worry that that land won't be used well and that they'll take the opportunity to building some sprawling fortress 'since they have the space'.
There are so many possibilities. I'd like to hear more about green space and pedestrian/bikes too. But any new space, there needs to be rules that it's for infill and can't just be parking lots that owners sit on for the city market.

I live very close to this area, and one of the reasons I didn't look in the river market was I just felt it was too disconnected because I love walking. I love everything about this proposal.

Please keep us updated on when more hearings are set.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

restoring the grid will be a huge push from residents. as far as attracting a single large tenant on a campus, the push would for "amazon style" versus "sprint style".