OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by longviewmo »

http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?p=463677#p463677. It's not too hard to imagine with how the building looks.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I recall it being said by people who were around at the time UMB built it's new bank at 11th and Walnut that the building was designed so that additional floors, or an office tower, could be constructed on top of part of the existing building. That however assumes that UMB would be adding a lot of additional staff. It is probably unlikely at this point they would, since banking operations have gotten incredibly efficient through technology at growing the bank without adding employees. Of course, UMB could vacant any of their other buildings and consolidate staff in a new building, or buy another bank and bring some of those employees into an expanded building.

I found this on the ASAI Architecture and PGAV Architects site for the UMB Building.
UMB Headquarters Building -- On a prominent site at the heart of Kansas City's central business district, 360,000 SF mixed use regional bank corporate headquarters building and is master planned for expansion in the future to 630,000 SF.
http://www.asaiarchitecture.com/port3.htm

H&R Block is probably unlikely to build a second tower for their own staffing needs. They could however exercise their building rights to build another office building to rent out. I'm guessing though that they will give up their air rights and Cordish will build either some office space there, or another apartment building. But it could be 20 years out before any of that happens. If they do another apartment building, it would probably be the last one to be built, since Two, Three, and Four Light are all easier builds. They would be constructed on existing surface lots. Any apartment building placed on top of existing retail buildings at 11th and Main would be disruptive to those businesses. So only continued demand would warrant going that route.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The UMB tower was not to be built on top of the existing structure but at the north end of the block with a tear down of the buildings at 10th and Walnut and Grand. It was to be 25 floors and covered in the same flame color granite, quite handsome.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

moderne wrote:The UMB tower was not to be built on top of the existing structure but at the north end of the block with a tear down of the buildings at 10th and Walnut and Grand. It was to be 25 floors and covered in the same flame color granite, quite handsome.
That would have been another architectural tragedy - sacrificing buildings to avoid building on parking lots.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

[quote="moderne"]The UMB tower was not to be built on top of the existing structure but at the north end of the block with a tear down of the buildings at 10th and Walnut and Grand. It was to be 25 floors and covered in the same flame color granite, quite handsome.[/quote

Note to everyone: If a Kemper ever pulls a building permit, pay close attention to what is intended.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

At this point though, it would probably be easier, and cheaper, for UMB to build a new building on the block of 10th, 11th, Grand, McGee. They already own it, and it's completely cleared of buildings.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

I'll be damned! Thanks guys! :D
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Five Light

Post by Critical_Mass »

Someone close to me attended a lunch this past week with the city manager where they discussed many topics such as the infrastructure bond, etc. During the lunch, one of the things he mentioned was that there were now plans for a Five Light. :shock:
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Five Light

Post by FangKC »

Was there any mention where Five Light would be built?
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

That's too many lights!!
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

StrangerThings wrote:True. H&R original 2nd tower location.
On top of the retail block just to the west of the current H&R building?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, the building that Jos A. Bank and the Yardhouse is in. When the P&L District was conceived, this block was designed to have a tower built later atop the retail--presumably an annex building for H&R Block.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0982131 ... a=!3m1!1e3
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Critical_Mass, did your friend say anything about Cordish's plans for the proposed apartments in the Midland Theater Office Building?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Awesome. Don't name it five light.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

FangKC wrote:Critical_Mass, did your friend say anything about Cordish's plans for the proposed apartments in the Midland Theater Office Building?
No, that was not mentioned to me, nor was the proposed location for Five Light, though sounds like StrangerThings answered that question above. The only other P&L-related tidbit mentioned to me was about Cordish's interest and plans to invest $$$ in the I-670 lid / park. I was told it still would require stimulus funds or some other outside financial contribution to become reality (estimated @ $140m total cost(?)) but could become a priority project, starting in 2 - 3 years if the additional $ is awarded.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

KCPowercat wrote:Awesome. Don't name it five light.
there's a Captain Picard joke in there somewhere...
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Very exciting. If Cordish is really willing to fund the south loop cap that would be huge. It would allow the city and MoDOT to focus on decommissioning the north loop. Damn I'm excited.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote:Yes, the building that Jos A. Bank and the Yardhouse is in. When the P&L District was conceived, this block was designed to have a tower built later atop the retail--presumably an annex building for H&R Block.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0982131 ... a=!3m1!1e3
in previous discussions, didn't we confirm that Block has first right of refusal on the space? clearly they're not growing and have consolidated other KC locations -- like the call center full of sidewalk smokers -- at the HQ tower. in short, they probably don't need it.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Didn't realize that block was constructed with foundation to allow for a hirise on top. Nice. Anyone else hear rumblings on this? Shouldn't take long for rag insiders to find out how credible this rumour is.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

earthling wrote:Didn't realize that block was constructed with foundation to allow for a hirise on top. Nice. Anyone else hear rumblings on this? Shouldn't take long for rag insiders to find out how credible this rumour is.
I don't think that they plan to build it on top. Here is what i saw on twitter.