Closed Bars and Restaurants

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Closed Bars and Restaurants

Post by mean »

Speaking of sorely missed midtown dive bars, Kenny's News Room had to be among the diveyest dive of the dives. I once got into a wrestling match outside in the rain there over a Bob Marley song. Good times. I was surprised to go back in this thread and not see it mentioned around the time it happened a few years ago.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

It was such big news, it had its own thread.

http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1 ... 7s#p504450

Coincidentally, the gay sports bar, Out of Bounds, was also "closed" in the Kenny's thread - and now the bar that replaced the bar that replaced Kenny's is a gay sports bar.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Ah. Must have missed that thread at the time.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Out of Bounds was further north, now the Scandinavian restaurant.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I know. Its closing was just referenced in the Kenny's thread. Sorry. That was probably confusing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Should bring VD back
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The old Velvet Dog Eastern-Euro vampire coven aura is wiped out, interior too sanitized now.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat wrote:Should bring VD back
:roll:
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Pizza Bella closes, I'll admit to only eating there once.

Easy to blame Papa Keno's, but they closed their Mission Farms location last year.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Loved P.B.....but always seemed half assed service there...someone could buy this place and reboot it easily and it would succeed.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:Loved P.B.....but always seemed half assed service there...someone could buy this place and reboot it easily and it would succeed.
Concur. It had been in a slide for a while.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Pizzabella holds the honor of being the only restaurant I've walked out of after being seated. It was a slow weekday evening; the servers and the host were all talking to each other and completely forgot about our table, so...after 20 minutes, we left.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

swid wrote:Pizzabella holds the honor of being the only restaurant I've walked out of after being seated. It was a slow weekday evening; the servers and the host were all talking to each other and completely forgot about our table, so...after 20 minutes, we left.
Have been hearing similar stories from a few people lately. It really is too bad.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I ate there a bunch of times shortly after they opened. I thought it was quite good at the time, although it's no surprise that it trended downward after Dalzell got run out of town. My sole (relatively) recent visit wasn't terrible, but wasn't really up to par either. Too bad.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I ate there a bunch of times shortly after they opened. I thought it was quite good at the time, although it's no surprise that it trended downward after Dalzell got run out of town. My sole (relatively) recent visit wasn't terrible, but wasn't really up to par either. Too bad.
Agreed. Went all the time many years ago, and enjoyed it. And thanks for bringing up Dalzell - I also liked ChefBurger, Souperman and 1924 at the time. Quite the mini restaurant empire before all the drama hit. Too bad indeed.

EDIT: AND special shout out to Magazines & Coffee, formerly next to Souperman. Absolutely loved that little space and concept; curious if such a place would be successful with all of the additional development in Xroads since...
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I miss the veggie burger at Chefburger. It was the only one I'd consider ordering, and I probably got it more than regular burgers there.

As for PB, it has been rudderless for a while, surviving with zero marketing/promotion/modification to the menu as one of the only pizza joints of its kind in the metro. Il Lazzarone upped the ante, and PB was really just surviving based off location and the beautiful tall windows. Some new blood could really enhance this stretch of the neighborhood.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Don't think this was mentioned on here but all the Doughnut Lounges closed up last week. I was never really a fan of the place. I thought the Doughnuts really sucked and the place was kind of an identity crisis, was it trying to be a doughnut place or a restaurant or a bar? It did seem very odd that they just expanded in January then all the places just close up a few months later.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

too bad. I really liked their old fashioned donuts. Better than most I’ve had. Didn’t love their cake donuts, but still thought they were good. It was overpriced IMO, but not terrible.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

From the Star, it sounds like several restaurants are about to join this list:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 31274.html

The reasons given; overbuilding of restaurants, labor shortages etc... seem to be national phenomena and not necessarily limited to KC. I don't mind the loss of the chains (Ruby Tuesday - I was surprised they are still around) but hate to see Bread & Butter concepts and Bristol's parent having issues as well as other KC staples (Fred P. Ott on the plaza).
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

But some places expanding.