Brookside

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Brookside

Post by mgh7676 »

More Development in "East Brookside"--
A brewery (BKS Artisan Ales), a restaurant, and a pilates studio in the building at the SW corner of 63rd & Holmes.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 28262.html
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

East(ish) Brookside has finally turned a pivotal corner - I live there now. Let's take this gentrification up a few notches.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Congrats you fucking bsider fuck! &&&
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Not sure where East Brookside starts. It seems some people want to claim Brookside in all parts of Midtown. But, if you're talking east of Oak, it still needs lots of work. The best place to start for true turning of the corner would be a redevelopment of The Landing at 63rd and Troost. A Target or equivalent at that location would change the whole city.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Midtown ends at 47th. No part of Brookside is in midtown

The barrier of east vs west is at Oak. The style of 63rd changes at that point. The neighborhood names all change at Troost nearly citywide so it doesn't go past that line.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

chrizow wrote:East(ish) Brookside has finally turned a pivotal corner - I live there now. Let's take this gentrification up a few notches.
I thought you were moving to the country to become lord of the manor?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

flyingember wrote:Midtown ends at 47th. No part of Brookside is in midtown
Yes, this was my understanding too. It's just that I have people that say they live in Brookside that live in Waldo or close to Troost. I think it makes their moms in Leawood feel less scared. :) Honestly, I don't even say anything because if that's what they have to do to live in the city, so be it. If 'East Brookside' gets people to break down the Troost barrier, go for it.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

chrizow wrote:East(ish) Brookside has finally turned a pivotal corner - I live there now. Let's take this gentrification up a few notches.
I thought Hyde Park had been seeming less nebbish lately.
watcher64110
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by watcher64110 »

I lived for 15 years in the "East of Oak" section of Brookside north of 63rd and I can assure you every one of my neighbors, (including one who had lived there since the 1950s) call their neighborhood Brookside, though technically it is called "Western 49-63" It's always been slightly more affordable with smaller bungalows, but it has always been a great neighborhood.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

East(ish) Brookside sounds like west of Oak...so Brookside or Morningside.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

So why the move? Was there something wrong with the old neighborhood or did you just want something bigger?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I'm loving what's happening in "east BKS" right now, however that is defined. Can't believe it's taken this long for the young folks and developers to discover it - the homes east of Main remain wonderful but are significantly more affordable than those to the west, and there nearby commercial corridors at 63rd and 71st that are finally turning the corner. So close to PV and Plaza, reasonable to downtown and you have Swope Park to the east (huge dog park, golf, hiking/mtn biking), an amenity that is mentioned by Brooksiders approximately never.

Totally agree with Beauty that redevelopment of The Landing would be game changer in many ways. Sadly don't think the retail we'd love to see there will touch it given the surrounding demos. Will need to be heavily subsidized at some point.

EDIT: congrats Chrizow and enjoy!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
I thought Hyde Park had been seeming less nebbish lately.
ha! HP snowflakes don't know what they're missing...
kucer wrote:East(ish) Brookside sounds like west of Oak...so Brookside or Morningside.
yeah we're in morningside. i agree with the above post that Oak is probably the line, and we're just west of it.
shinatoo wrote:So why the move? Was there something wrong with the old neighborhood or did you just want something bigger?
nothing wrong with HP, and we miss aspects of it (mostly Gillham Park). we're just kinda feeling the BKS vibe since we have a toddler. our new block is filled with kids (compared to the old block in HP, where only one other house had kids). we also enjoy the walkability of the neighborhood - even in the winter we've been walking to parks, coffeeshops, bars/restos, etc. the downside is the relative lack of diversity - BKS feels more like "the truman show" than i even expected it would. but overall BKS is pretty great.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Morningside is pretty great. Street fire at 61st & Walnut most weekend nights is fun for a beer or five.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

kucer wrote: street fire at 61st & Walnut most weekend nights is fun for a beer or five.
do tell. this is v. close to us.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I spent seven years in EBro (Rockhill Ridge) and recently moved. It wasn't a terrible neighborhood, but most of the neighbors had a sort of inward focus that didn't translate into a sense of community. Also, the 'quiet' perception sort of cloaks the fact that the neighborhood is similar in terms of break-ins, stolen autos, assaults, gunshots, and police helicoter fly-bys as many midtown hoods. It has a more homogeneous flavor and a reputation as a neighborhood that never really declined, despite all of the 'OMG EAST BROOKSIDE IS BACK!' articles we've been seeing for the past two years. I think these are more related to the fact that it is now considered a good investment opportunity for commercial and multi-family.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

BTW, by gunshots I mean 'the gunshots I hear from nearby', not like shell casings all over the street. I never had any problems at my old house, but there were various break-ins on our block over the years that I lived there.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

chrizow wrote:
kucer wrote: street fire at 61st & Walnut most weekend nights is fun for a beer or five.
A couple of my best friends have lived on the block for the past decade or so. Our families have kids in school together and get hang out quite a bit. Anyway they have a propensity to build a fire on weekends that normally results in other neighbors hanging around the fire shooting the shit and drinking beverages. They are super friendly and have welcomed many a neighbor just walking by to hang and have a beer. The block has really turned over the past couple of years and it's great to see so many young families moving in.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

kucer wrote:
chrizow wrote:
The block has really turned over the past couple of years and it's great to see so many young families moving in.
a neighbor (with kids) said the same of our block. when they moved in 8 years ago, it seemed to be mostly older folks without kids living at home. but those people retired and moved away and now the block has lots of young families and young couples (who'll probably be having kids).

on these recent 60+ degree days, the area comes alive with families and people walking around in a way that SHP never did. we are enjoying that aspect of it.

we actually had a small fire on Fri evening and a couple neighbors swung by to say hi to us newbs. i suspect it could have easily ended up in serious beerage.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

shinatoo wrote:So why the move? Was there something wrong with the old neighborhood or did you just want something bigger?
nothing wrong with HP, and we miss aspects of it (mostly Gillham Park). we're just kinda feeling the BKS vibe since we have a toddler. our new block is filled with kids (compared to the old block in HP, where only one other house had kids). we also enjoy the walkability of the neighborhood - even in the winter we've been walking to parks, coffeeshops, bars/restos, etc. the downside is the relative lack of diversity - BKS feels more like "the truman show" than i even expected it would. but overall BKS is pretty great.
Thank you. That's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Hope you enjoy it. I'm looking forward to the day I can move into the city.