Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

Currently have Google Fiber - 'free' 5M service
14%
Currently have Google Fiber - 100M or 1 Gigabit service only
20%
Currently have Google Fiber - TV + 1 Gigabit service
41%
Am in a deployed Google Fiber area but sticking with current or moving to other ISP
1%
Am in a planned area, intend to get Google Fiber
10%
Am in a planned area, sticking with current ISP
1%
None of the above/something else
13%

Total votes: 87

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

Post by earthling »

The rollout rate appears to be somewhere between 75K-100K homes/units _passed_ per year - that's passed, not connecting. Keep in mind Google is starting from scratch with access to poles and right of ways. Cincy Bell is rolling out fiber/gigabit and doing no more than 100K passed/year and they have had right of ways for decades. When CableCo's rolled out coax many decades ago, the rollout rate was even slower in most markets.

Google's rollout rate isn't out of line, but they should set better expectations with rate of rollout and scheduling. And they've likely had more logistical issues in some hoods more than others as happens with all ISPs rolling out from scratch. It is annoying that that started rollout in the burbs before completing KCK/KCMO, which were announced first.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

All expansion halted... Google is switching focus to wireless.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... 10-cities/
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

scooterj wrote:All expansion halted... Google is switching focus to wireless.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... 10-cities/
I knew this would happen. Google Fiber was like our version of the MonoRail episode in the Simpsons. So now we are going to be left out of this new Webpass venture I assume? We are pretty much back to square one in a few years when ATT or Time Warner ends up buy the Google Fiber services and just ends it.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KC metro is fortunate to get as much fiber directly to the home (FTTH) already deployed as there may not be another metro that gets as much as KC has in % coverage. AT&T is only other ISP indicating it may do much more FTTH nationwide but they'll likely do mostly fixed wireless in the end. Fixed wireless for the last mile will be easier to deploy but doesn't have the capacity that fiber has, is susceptible to weather and wireless spectrum may be too limiting to offer unlimited data.

I wonder if Google will offer TV service over fixed wireless, and still be unlimited. Someone may end up buying GF at some point but at least KC got a major FTTH rollout that most metros probably won't see.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

earthling wrote:
I wonder if Google will offer TV service over fixed wireless, and still be unlimited. Someone may end up buying GF at some point but at least KC got a major FTTH rollout that most metros probably won't see.
With all the hoopla surrounding it plus getting your fiberhood to sign up meet a quota so a school can get free wifi plus stupid marketing to make it all hip and exclusive, was it really worth it? I almost feel like the City got swindled a bit. Maybe Google Fiber just said "Hey lets work with the most incompetent governments in the nation that will let us do whatever the hell we want and see how long we can last".

You seem to be such a huge Google Fiber fanboy, at what point will you admit defeat on this? When they get bought out by ATT or Time Warner? or when they just all leave us high and dry and just end service abruptly because Google has been known to just dump projects ASAP? The real funny thing in all of this would be all the ones who crawl back to Time Warner or ATT is to not offer any kind of deal to come back, maybe they even double the prices on the Google Fiber customers.

I would expect Google Fiber to hit the graveyard in the next 3 years.
http://www.computerworlduk.com/gallerie ... d-3508070/
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Whatever happens, GF got the other carriers off the mark. Having the infrastructure to your house is a very good thing. Their/all wireless is pretty shitty in comparison.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

brewcrew, nah not a fanboy as I typically recommend TWC's $30 50M for those looking to save, but it wouldn't exist w/out GFiber establishing the $70 Gigabit baseline. I do follow the industry closely though and understand how the network is engineered for most ISPs. Google's is better engineered with lower shared ratio and has a national backbone dedicated to GF traffic (not shared with other Google services). So that's an objective understanding, not fanboyism. None of the others do this and struggle to perform near 900M (some might really only be 500M) while GF is consistently over 900M. But most would be fine with 50M and I do recommend TWC's for only $30 - a fanboy wouldn't recommend others.

KC is very fortunate to have FTTH mostly metro wide no matter who may buy GF's in the future (agree 3 years is plausible), and it's building up from other ISPs. There's enough competition in KC that none can likely overprice service unless they collude, which could also happen. I've posted this piece on a trade rag...

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30784 ... ompetition

Google is likely strongly motivated to stay in the ISP biz. Their core biz model is dependent on the direction of the ISPs and Google will want a hand in it. They're broadly attributed for kicking ISP action into upgrades but now monthly downloads caps are a threat to Google's overall biz (and many other Internet services). Can see Google staying in the ISP industry long term to some degree even if not to become a major ISP. They'll maybe stay in as long as they think they can influence/lobby the industry (for better or worse).
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

brewcrew1000 wrote:With all the hoopla surrounding it plus getting your fiberhood to sign up meet a quota so a school can get free wifi plus stupid marketing to make it all hip and exclusive, was it really worth it? I almost feel like the City got swindled a bit.
In addition to earthling's good description of what we got, what did the City give up that would make you feel it got swindled? It seems that there's a perception of high cost out there. There have been questions about staying power since the very outset. I think the "oh no, it's over" narrative is a bit premature, but even if that's the case, fiber in the ground (and on the poles) is a tangible, valuable asset the city has that cost it very little out of pocket and relatively little in soft costs (construction frustration, cheerleading, etc). I think the intangible benefit side is quite high also.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

TWC has been rebranded with Spectrum in KC after Charter acquired them. 100M download and 10M upload is $45/month compared to Google Fiber 100/100 for $50 - GF includes Wifi, Charter wants $5 more. TWC offered 50/5 for $30, which was great option for those looking to save but now that $45 is lowest option, may as well go with Google Fiber if you can get it as you get much better upload and much better latency.

300/20M still available with Charter (not shown on website and apparently not marketed anymore) with $200 activation and $90/month compared to Google Fiber 1000/1000 for $70. When bundled with TV 100M is $30, but GF still offers better overall value with TV bundle. If you can get ATT Gigapower, they offer 300/300M for $50 special deal (not marketed, have to ask for it) but I think it has a cap and/or you have to get DirecTV. Charter and Google Fiber do not have caps, is unlimited data. I don't know what Charter is thinking with this pricing model when KC has 5 Gigabit players, well 4 that compete directly with their footprint. TWC at least had some low end options others wouldn't match.

edit: The Charter/TWC website shows only 60M available but it is an error, 100M is the lowest service they offer in KC. They still offer a 200 and 300 option but they don't market it and it's way overpriced anyway compared to Gigabit players in KC.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Updated chart showing major ISP options in Google Fiber markets...

Larger image of above: https://www.dslreports.com/speak/slides ... VlZC1JU1Bz

More details here...
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30195 ... speed-ISPs
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Just got our Google fiber installed in Prairie Village. Got internet and phone to replace TWC.

Didn't do Google TV since the TV boxes are $10 each after the first one. With 6 TVs, that is a significant hit over the couple of bucks a month I pay TWC for each cable card or digital converter.

Google fiber phone service is only $10/month. Half of what I was paying TWC. However, it turns out the google phone service is not compatible with our alarm system monitoring. Since that is the only reason we have a land line, the phone service will be canceled.

I don't notice a huge difference in speeds on wireless devices. I have direct wire connections for our Tivos, which also run Netflix, and those don't seem vastly speedier either. I need to check the specs of of my switch to see if it is gigabit compatible. That might be holding things back.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Hmm, they raised TV box from $5 to $10/mo. That must be new to new customers. Have heard they have tested TV to Chromecast but not sure if they'll release it.

For phone, I'm using an Obitalk box (one time under $50) that is setup with Google Voice service - a bit involved for some people to setup but I think it supports home alarm systems, it does work with fax machines. It seems Google Fiber Phone also using a variation of Obitalk. The sound is very good with no delays like with some VoIP phone systems. GF latency is much lower than TWC, which means Internet based phones (VoIP) won't have delays or hiccups.

On your WiFi performance, GF's current WiFi router can only do about 400M max, the hardwired can do near Gigabit. And you have to have a modern device that supports 'AC' Wifi to get over 200M. Older Wifi devices might only do 50-100M. Word is, GF is testing a new WiFi router than can deliver a Gigabit but you'd need new WiFi devices than can do it too. Or you can also buy your own WiFi router that supports "Wave 2 AC" to get the full Gigabit wireless.

For the most part, most people don't need anywhere near a Gigabit and you won't notice much difference from 100M vs 1000M unless doing large file transfers for the most part. I'm oversimplifying but is the case for most non-power users. Streaming video tends to use well below 10M each stream and even 4KTV streams tend to be below 20M, meaning with a 100M connection you could do near 5 4K TV streams at once - more than most realistically need. Is too bad GF forces you to get a Gigabit plan if you want TV. They don't offer TV with 100M service.
Last edited by earthling on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Hard wired should be 900+ on a speed test, if not, you've got a slower card, switch or router. Wireless is meh but adequate.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Did Google maybe release new 4K TV capable boxes and raise the price? I heard they have been testing 4K TV boxes, so have they been released?
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

earthling wrote:Did Google maybe release new 4K TV capable boxes and raise the price? I heard they have been testing 4K TV boxes, so have they been released?
do they even have any 4K content?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Youtube and Netflix apps are built into the GF TV box, which have a fair amount of 4K content and growing. Am thinking Google Play Movies also might offer 4K and pay per view, not sure. Might still be a while for broadcast content providers to offer 4K.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

earthling wrote:Hmm, they raised TV box from $5 to $10/mo. That must be new to new customers, I'm still showing $5/mo on my bill. Have heard they have tested TV to Chromecast but not sure if they'll release it. After 2 years renting you own the TV boxes and can sell to someone else, meaning you could also buy from someone who is selling a TV box if they cancel GF service after 2 years.
This is no longer true. The monthly fee for the box is now a rental fee and you no longer own the box, therefore the fee never goes away.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I just checked and you are right, edited it out of post. They recently stopped allowing ownership (rent to own). That's a bummer. Hopefully they will release using Chromecast as a TV extender from Fiber TV app. Heard they've been testing it but no sign yet if it will be released. $10/mo per TV box is pricey. Chromecast only about $35 one time purchase and you own it, can still use it for other services even if no longer using GFBR.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

KCLofts wrote:Just got our Google fiber installed in Prairie Village. Got internet and phone to replace TWC.

Didn't do Google TV since the TV boxes are $10 each after the first one. With 6 TVs, that is a significant hit over the couple of bucks a month I pay TWC for each cable card or digital converter.

Google fiber phone service is only $10/month. Half of what I was paying TWC. However, it turns out the google phone service is not compatible with our alarm system monitoring. Since that is the only reason we have a land line, the phone service will be canceled.

I don't notice a huge difference in speeds on wireless devices. I have direct wire connections for our Tivos, which also run Netflix, and those don't seem vastly speedier either. I need to check the specs of of my switch to see if it is gigabit compatible. That might be holding things back.
Wireless will be limited to the speed of the wireless router. For instance if you're using the GF box for wifi it is 802.11n which has a theoretical max speed of 450mbps. That goes down based on proximity of the wireless device to the router as well as the number of other wireless devices connected.

When we had 802.11n in our house I would usually average about 90 to 120mbps. We now use an 802.11ac router which has a theoretical max of 1.3gbps, but even there I usually only get about 300 to 500mbps out of it.

On wired devices, especially like the Tivo's, they are probably using 100mbps Ethernet instead of gigabit Ethernet ports. Other devices can have similar issues. Your cabling will also matter, you won't see gigabit speeds unless you're using cat 5e or higher ethernet cable. The other issue is the website you're testing it against may have bandwidth limitations of its own.

Basically in my experience you'll never get the full gigabit speed with any online site or service. What you do get is the ability to have multiple devices using your Internet simultaneously and NOT affecting the speed/performance of the other devices (unless everything in your house is using wifi).