We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:They would have to get the feds on board, wouldn't they?
Indeed. I doubt if they would get much pushback if the airlines were onboard. KCI from a TSA perspective has to be the most inefficient airport in the country.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Yep, the feds want a single terminal. If the voters object the feds might not stand in the way.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't particularly care whether the airport is in Olathe, but if a move is actually on the table, that should be more persuasive than I was thinking originally. Not because I think a significant number of people have some deep sense of pride associated with the airport existing in their preferred municipality, but because if the current configuration is going away and being replaced by a single terminal regardless of location, they will have to come to terms with the fact that whatever "convenience" they believe KCI currently offers them is going to be gone, so they might as well vote to put the inevitable single terminal where KCI lives now.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

There's not a chance in hell a threat to move to Johnson County would be anything but a bluff. Turning New Century into an international airport would cost billions of dollars more than a new terminal at KCI, not to mention the locals in Gardner might not be too happy with the upgrade. But if a bluff will convince folks to let the new terminal happen, then go for it, I guess.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The question isn't about cost or what the locals think, it's how bad do the FAA and the airlines want it. Obviously these things intersect, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter how much it costs or who bitches about it as long the people in charge have their minds made up, unless the people bitching are prepared to have protestors camping out at New Century and blocking bulldozers. And even then I'd give them worse than even odds.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We are going to design a new airport terminal, build it, the day it opens they are going to change airport security and it's going to be obsolete the day it opens.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:We are going to design a new airport terminal, build it, the day it opens they are going to change airport security and it's going to be obsolete the day it opens.
That's a horrible argument

We won't be able to meet some unannounced future need for security so let's not solve the current operational needs we have today, which include a known problem around security.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's not an argument. It's a prediction based on some current events and an homage to what happened last time.

We don't need your expertise on every post.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

KCPowercat wrote:It's not an argument. It's a prediction based on some current events and an homage to what happened last time.

Sarcasm seems to be lost on him often.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

longviewmo wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:It's not an argument. It's a prediction based on some current events and an homage to what happened last time.

Sarcasm seems to be lost on him often.
sarcasm can't be written.

The problem with the arguement is you're not paying homage to the past.

We can't do anything, new terminal or not, without running into fancy new security issues. You're playing homage to right now and because you're arguing we can't do better than the current terminal and the security space issues in play it's a pro-renovation argument.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Dude....Stop. it was a joke.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat wrote:We are going to design a new airport terminal, build it, the day it opens they are going to change airport security and it's going to be obsolete the day it opens.
Funny thing is you may be right. The way things are going it may be 20 or more years before being built. And if based on today's needs ...
UrbanKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by UrbanKC »

I'm definitely a minority in this city (I assume) because I love the idea of a single terminal. Or at least a single security terminal that can then branch off into separate terminals that are beyond the security checkpoints.

My honest opinion of airports I've been to...

Denver: Sucks, at least the security portion, as it scares the daylights out of me. I was lucky to have arrived at a time when it wasn't really busy, so I got through security in decent time. But it looked like it could be a complete nightmare at peak times. Plus with the way the terminal is designed, the security area was really freaking loud. Seemed to make the stress of being patted down, directed through massive x-ray machines etc... just larger. Crying kids get 10x louder, the beeping of the machines seems 10x louder. Just adds more stress than is needed at that point.

Chicago O'Hare: Only flown through there twice, and haven't had major issues.

Atlanta: Freaking amazing, I love it!

Pittsburgh: Loved it, easy to navigate, though security check could probably be better.

John F. Kennedy: 2nd to worst airport I've been to. Total cluster.

Paris Charles de-Gaulle: Worst airport I've been to. FUBAR.

Kansas City: Ugh... I feel like I travel back 50 years when I enter it, especially if I've just come from modern airports. Plus I feel like an animal in a zoo in the waiting area. Caged, nowhere to go, no place to hang out. Feel like the people watching me on the other side of the glass are "free" and I'm just a trapped animal waiting to be transported. Though I like the location and convenience of baggage claim. If I take SuperShuttle, or have a ride pick me up, I always worry about if they arrive at the correct terminal, and then the correct entrance. Parking also sucks, hence why I don't like driving myself.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote:Dude....Stop. it was a joke.
Joke or not, you're advocating a dangerous and unproductive alternative which threatens to undermine future progress.

:lol:
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It was a horrible joke. it deserved to be called out.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Fess up, you didn't get it. I thought it was quite clever and scarily prescient.
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

History repeats itself, just in a slightly different form.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

The 2016 end-of-year stats for the airport are out. Total passenger volume was up 5.4% over 2015 to 11,041,750 - the most passengers since 2007. 2016 was the first year since 2007 that the number of aircraft operations increased over the previous year - up 3.2% to 122,814. (For comparison, 2007 had a passenger volume of 11,275,951 and 194,969 aircraft operations.)

The Terminal B airlines (Southwest, Delta, Alaska) account for 67.7% of all enplanements; Southwest alone is 49.2% of the airport's passenger volume.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

flyingember wrote:The storm shelter aspect actually intercepts with the adding restrooms inside security aspect that many people dismiss as unnecessary.

Many cities designed airport restrooms to be shelter space.

Denver
http://media2.wcpo.com//photo/2013/06/1 ... 40_480.JPG

St. Louis
http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/44b7bb6574744 ... efa6pk.jpg

Huntsville, AL
https://localtvwhnt.files.wordpress.com ... eather.jpg

None of those are specially designed "Shelter spaces"...they're ordinary bathrooms that public affairs chose to designate as shelter-in-place areas because of the false misconception that you would be "Safer" in an internal room versus a room with an outside wall in the event of some large storm. In a tornado that causes any real structural damage it's all a moot point. The building itself will be totally flattened by an F3/4/5, irregardless of what's inside.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

flyingember wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
pash wrote:And the preponderance of attacks, including all of those with the highest death tolls, in both the West and in the Middle East, have been against soft targets in mundane locations like town squares, nightclubs, theaters, and so on.
This is exactly my point. Yes, an airport can be a target but it's no more a target than anywhere else that has a bunch of people in a small area. There's no reason to secure every part of KCI if we aren't securing literally everywhere we go with a few hundred or thousand of people in any given day which is most places in an urban area. If you aren't arguing for locking down every part of downtown, I don't get the point of arguing to lock down every part of the airport.
It's not about locking everything down to get a benefit.

At KC someone can walk inside and be right at a large group of people and perform their attack within seconds. Multiple attackers can do the same thing, each picking a door during peak hours. There's no way to easily stop them since any response would be slower than the people. There's also no point at which to detect something and drop blast/biohazard doors that have any impact.

A new design would still have these unsafe areas but just by being able to drop security doors the airport can immediately be separated in two.

It's not 100%, no, but it would be a lot better.

And I'm not thinking of terrorists, I'm thinking of some disillusioned local or militia group with tear gas.

Risk mitigation never needs to be 100% to be worth doing.
You guys are funny.. Talking about KCI being a "Soft Target" for a random terrorist attack that focuses on killing many people in a large, crowded area...while COMPLETELY neglecting to consider that IF KCI had a large central security area (As proposed) THEN it would have an even MORE dense area to attack. Concentrating the attack in ONE area, impacting ALL passengers... versus the present possibility of an attack on 1 of 20 random mini security checkpoints that exist today, impacting 1/20th of all passengers at most.