Two Light - 14th & Grand

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm not smart about these things obviously....thanks for the details.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

looking west from grand:

LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Cordish just updated their website and have a page dedicated to two light.

It shows the same renderings of three and four light but these are larger images.

http://cordish.com/portfolio/two-light- ... apartments
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The Monotonous Cordish Wall... it could be so much better if they use completely different building materials for each building and not so flat surfaces...

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I see the loop is wearing its cap there.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Don't hide the President sign!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is subjective of course but I've seen similar 'tri-series' of buildings like this in other cities and they look like 'the projects'. This looks like it might even be worse and will have a monster wall view from Liberty Memorial If Xroads develops a skyline it may not matter long term but if they simply use different external building materials for each building it would not look like 'the projects'.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

JFC
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

Guess its just opinion but, I like these buildings. once a building is over 18 stories I feel its hard to look to much like projects. One light came out pretty good. Lets give it a chance. Also, I remember 9 surface lots, not that we should settle but WOW, what a improvement we have where we all can, after 35 to 40 years, be proud of our downtown.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, it very well may turn out OK but I haven't seen any 'series buildings' I personally liked (just an opinion, I'm not worked up over it). Another challenge is when a series of buildings are built over many years intending to look similar with similar say glass. It may not end up looking like the other so is odd looking, especially with the cheap 'glass' they used for One Light - is that plexiglass? Better off just doing each entirely differently. My point is, take the risk out of the equation by not trying to make it look like a series of similar buildings. And it's a monotonous wall on top of it, along what might become the most popular park downtown.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote:along what might become the most popular park downtown.
I'm convinced a park lid over 670 would be covered in people all day every day. Right in the heart of everything.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

earthling wrote:Is subjective of course but I've seen similar 'tri-series' of buildings like this in other cities and they look like 'the projects'. This looks like it might even be worse and will have a monster wall view from Liberty Memorial If Xroads develops a skyline it may not matter long term but if they simply use different external building materials for each building it would not look like 'the projects'.
Of course I am far from an expert on a topic like this but I think having similar looking buildings might just only belong in a spread out office park setting. In a downtown area it would look like a "project". The nice thing about a downtown skyline is the variety of building styles, shapes, and sizes. Maybe if someone had some pictures of old high rise housing projects to show others may get the idea.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Who cares. Street level is more important. More residents=more retail=an active, healthy city
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

JBmidtown wrote:Who cares. Street level is more important. More residents=more retail=an active, healthy city
This!

I will not nitpick high rise condos that are covering surface parking lots right smack dab in the middle of our core. I'm excited.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

JBmidtown wrote:Who cares. Street level is more important. More residents=more retail=an active, healthy city
agreed! i'd give one light's street level an A-. we'll see what they do with more frontage.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Nah, I'm doubling down. :) MCW will be a common term when completed if per the renderings. Monotonous. Cordish. Wall.

Would be easy to avoid by making each building unique.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

I appreciate the architectural creativity, but that is one god awful building.
Looks like some modern knockoff of a Chinese Pagoda.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This building would be a nice contrast to the others -- for Three Light -- but a smaller version. It's being built in the Hudson Yards project in New York City. If you put it between Two and Four Light, it would contrast the others enough to avoid appearing to look like a monotonous project.

wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

the sole two-story "penthouse" unit on what looks to be the NE corner of the 24th/25th floors is a 1558 square foot unit with balcony on the 24th floor. i bring this up because it is the first floor plan in either of the #Light buildings that i thought raised the bar above "new construction faux-luxury layout for upperclassmen in college town", and because having seen this morning that it is listed for an unfathomable $5800 monthly rent i no longer have any remote conception that i am ever going to live in it.

https://twolight.prospectportal.com/Apa ... w/1/tab/2/

here's a rendering of the double-story living room if you're willing to click around, make a fake account, etc.: https://twolightkc.com/360-tours/

that's $3.72 per square foot, and almost exactly $70,000 a year in rent. at even one parking spot at ~100/month, you clear $70k. i have so, so many questions. but the main one: who in kansas city is going to rent this? none of the royals can rely on being here past the trade deadline next summer. travis kelce? the guy on the top floor of wall street towers, so he can choose which view of 1201 walnut he prefers on any given day?