Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by Highlander »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Midtownkid wrote:The Restoration Hardware on the Plaza closed. Too bad, it was a nice looking store.

I wonder what will happen to the space? I hope something great that uses the intact architectural details and maybe even makes use of the movie theater portion. Really hope they don't gut it
i say restore the plaza theater as a theater. could be an event space, concert venue, single-screen premium cinema, etc. they could still have some smaller retail stalls, just not the entire thing.

I've heard the new owners want to take the plaza in a different direction. More grown up stuff - less teenage clothing oriented. No movies.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

It is possible to have movies without teenagers.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Highlander wrote:
I've heard the new owners want to take the plaza in a different direction. More grown up stuff - less teenage clothing oriented. No movies.
Millenials are the largest demographic. They are no longer teenagers. They are adults with jobs and money now. I expect most retailers are shifting to meet their needs.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

As seen in that photo, I never knew 47th St had angle parking.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Highlander wrote:
So, The Plaza wants to become Westport now?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote:
Highlander wrote:
No - back to the days of an exclusive shopping center. Not sure that will be all that easy to accomplish.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote:It is possible to have movies without teenagers.
ban them, like the cinemark used to do.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote:
Highlander wrote:
lol westport = grown up
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ yes, was being a little tongue in cheek. :)
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Aside from West Elm, Restoration Hardware was the last national home goods store on the Plaza, no?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Midtownkid wrote:The Restoration Hardware on the Plaza closed. Too bad, it was a nice looking store.

I wonder what will happen to the space? I hope something great that uses the intact architectural details and maybe even makes use of the movie theater portion. Really hope they don't gut it
i thought i read somewhere (probably on this board) that, for some reason, the KC Restoration Hardware is a really high-performing store and that KC was being considered for a more flagship type store? Did i make that up?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Here is a list of all of the current proposals or pending development surrounding the plaza. This excludes the currently under construction whole foods/UMKC apartments. All in all its over 800 units. Did I miss anything substantial?

47th and Madison/Roanoke Pkwy (The Triangle)
Units: 150+(?)
Height: 10+
Note: Proposed- Apt over retail

48th and Summit (Old Nelle Peters Site)
Units: 175
Height: 6
Note: Proposed- Stated not to need incentives

46th and Jefferson
Office
Height: 12
Note: Proposed- I’ve heard this is looking to move forward…just a rumor though

46th and Broadway/Wornall
Units:132/ Hotel- 175
Height: 10
Note: Approved- no incentives

46th and JC Nichols
Units: 84
Height: 7 (Currently 4 w/ parking garage- proposed addition of 3 levels)
Note: Proposed senior living

44th and Washington Street- midblock
Units: 18
Height: 3
Note: Approved-no incentives

44th and Washington
Unit: 188
Height: 4
Note: Proposed- wrapped garage- no incentives

45th Ter and Broadway
Units 31
Height: ?
Note: Proposed- No incentives

46th and Walnut
Units: 98
Height: ?
Note: Commercial and Rez- Proposed

And for some reason I thought I remember seeing a proposal for both the corner of 44th and walnut and 43rd and Walnut for new apartments…but I can’t find where I saw that.
Last edited by kboish on Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

RE: Plaza Theater - I've always thought that space would make a great small performing arts venue, and as such would add some much needed cultural appeal to the Plaza proper.

Does anyone know how much of the auditorium interior remains?
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

Apple Store opens 8/20.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

rxlexi wrote:RE: Plaza Theater - I've always thought that space would make a great small performing arts venue, and as such would add some much needed cultural appeal to the Plaza proper.

Does anyone know how much of the auditorium interior remains?
In my youth a buddy of mine and I got in where the old theater is. I only went there once when it was still open for business. It closed in 99. We got in probably circa 2002-2003?

Image[/URL]

If you go down the dead end alley across from Topsy's, then happen to get lucky with some unlocked doors and don't mind running up stairs next to windows, you can get up on the roof. After that walk over to where you're above Restoration hardware, and another lucky unlocked door takes you right into the projection room which is elevated above the otherwise flat roof. I remember going in a door on the right side where I circled but I can't make out where it is now. There was a bunch of dusty old reels, projector equipment, manuals, and trash. If memory serves me there was a row or two of seats up there in front of the projection booth, and we could see through cracks in a drop ceiling into Restoration hardware below. We didn't get any pictures unfortunately, this was obviously before smartphones.

My memories are a little fuzzy now of what it was like in there, I remember seeing the top of the screen where there was a crest, but I don't recall much else, such as if the ornate ceiling still existed or anything. My guess is it's still there, since there was a drop ceiling where you could look through cracks to Restoration Hardware or offices below. But, I think that would also mean that the theater would not be useable becase seats/floor was removed so that Restoration Hardware had a taller ceiling or so that offices could be added. Wish I had taken photos :-(

A little history and some old photos:
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/1434
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

kboish wrote:Here is a list of all of the current proposals or pending development surrounding the plaza. This excludes the currently under construction whole foods/UMKC apartments. All in all its over 800 units. Did I miss anything substantial?

Any renderings or articles on this development? I see the sign everyday on the way to work but that is it...
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, this is a particularly interesting one I haven't heard of.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

hartliss wrote:
kboish wrote:Here is a list of all of the current proposals or pending development surrounding the plaza. This excludes the currently under construction whole foods/UMKC apartments. All in all its over 800 units. Did I miss anything substantial?

Any renderings or articles on this development? I see the sign everyday on the way to work but that is it...
There isn't any article on the development I am aware of. It was discussed at length during the plaza/midtown area plan hearings because the height for this site was lowered from what was previously allowed. As a matter of fact, I am now remembering that the lawyers were discussing the potential purchase of the property. Since this particular parcel was not grandfathered under the previous plan they may have not completed the purchase and the project I'm listing may be dead.

http://kansascity.granicus.com/MediaPla ... ip_id=9357

Skip to 1 hour 29 minutes to hear her and others talk about it at length.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Interesting, thanks for sharing.