What Buildings Do You Like/Dislike?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Post any Buildings with their picture or a link of their picture and tell us why you like it or dislike it?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

First, what I don't like:

A hideous sixties-vintage monstrosity in the Crossroads...

And this particular nasty example of negligent civic design...notice the blank wall facing the sidewalk, which is just like a giant "F*** you" to the pedestrian.

I sent this last one to Kunstler for his Eyesore of The Month, but he politely rejected it, saying something about it being a little too blurry. Personally, I don't see it, do you?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

for some reason i don't mind the red and white building ( i think it's a former TWA building maybe?), granted it's ugly, but it provides a pretty vivid contrast to its surroundings (color and design wise), however it does so at the same time that it keeps the streetline going and providing lots of opportunity to put something interesting in the windows. It's one of those ugly buildings i'm attached to for no rational reason other than "it's different" but not harmful to the urban fabric.

hmm, blurry? it looks pretty crisp to me. It might be that it didn't load properly (i have the same problem sometimes, when pictures don't load up right the first time they show up a bit blurry)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Here is what I don't like

This is what I do like
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Where can you find Kuntsler's eyesore of the month?

I don't mind the old TWA building either. In the retro craze, I could see that building become a very cool dance club or gallery space. I think it fits into the aged landscape of the Crossroads.

I agree about that blank-wall building on Main. I also hate the blank wall at Linwood and Main, the two office supply stores on Main, the parking-lot-facing World Market in Westport, the whole sprawlplex at Westport and SW Trafficway, Bishop Spencer Place, City Place at Westport, most all of the 60s vintage apartment complexes, the AMC building and the Bolling Federal Building.

Those are just what comes off the top of my head.

I love Power and Light, Fidelity, Western Auto, Union Station, President and most of the Rivermarket.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

DeadManWalking wrote: This is what I do like
When I was a kid I had my little brother convinced that this building was Crematia Mortem's castle.

(No idea why I just remembered that.)
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

the TWA building is going to be renovated as office space. I hve grown to like it, myself. I think that if they did a good restoration job, as a 60's retro building, it could be a pretty cool addition to the crossroads. Since they repainted it and cleaned it up some, it looks much much better than it did. Its got tremendous potential.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

staubio wrote:Where can you find Kuntsler's eyesore of the month?

I don't mind the old TWA building either. In the retro craze, I could see that building become a very cool dance club or gallery space. I think it fits into the aged landscape of the Crossroads.

I agree about that blank-wall building on Main. I also hate the blank wall at Linwood and Main, the two office supply stores on Main, the parking-lot-facing World Market in Westport, the whole sprawlplex at Westport and SW Trafficway, Bishop Spencer Place, City Place at Westport, most all of the 60s vintage apartment complexes, the AMC building and the Bolling Federal Building.

Those are just what comes off the top of my head.

I love Power and Light, Fidelity, Western Auto, Union Station, President and most of the Rivermarket.
Staubio,

The Eyesore of the Month series can be found at http://www.kunstler.com. It's not the best designed site there is, but Jim Kunstler's musings (vitriolic rants) and Eyesores of the Month are rather fun.

Completely agree about all those places you listed you don't like...they're on my hate list too. :)

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
thedream
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by thedream »

Bolling building is not that bad. I used to not like it but the more time I had to spend around there I really have grown to like it. It is neat building when pay close ateenion to its design. I also like the Granite ends of the building. I like then fact it has trees around it even though they are junk and fall apart every time it storms. I also like the new fountian on the new enterance. The circle are is in need of some new landscaping but then the only thing stoping all that form looking beautiful is their budget for it. It is up to the owners of these buildings to increase their budget on streetscape and landscaping for the grounds around them to make themselves inviting. Other then that issue I love that building it fills that part of the skyline nicely.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Helix is doing the interior renovation of Boling. The floors are designed with a very sleek modern look. You'd never know it was a govt. building.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
thedream
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by thedream »

I've seen them they are beautiful!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

THE GOOD:
One Kansas City Place (...but I'm bias for it, because I like it so much) =D> (And The Town Pavilion) =D>

THE BAD:
That new building on Grand ](*,)

THE UGLY:
City Hall :puke:
KC is the way to be!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

THE UGLY:
:shock:

City Hall??? It's a testament to Art-Deco architecture. :|

photoblog. 

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Tosspot wrote:
THE UGLY:
:shock:

City Hall??? It's a testament to Art-Deco architecture. :|

Oh, then the AT&T building. (I'm flexible on this)
KC is the way to be!
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

1KCP was designed to mirror City Hall...
jfpointer
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jfpointer »

The Star's new building is quite ugly. Looks like an overgrown car dealership.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

the Star's new building is one of the most beautiful ones in the core. Its amazing.
jfpointer
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jfpointer »

tat2kc wrote:the Star's new building is one of the most beautiful ones in the core. Its amazing.
Gak. That thing's hideous. Baron BMW on steroids, looming over the freeway loop (which in itself is an abomination).
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

i think the star building is amazing 8)
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Star building is interesting, but I can see the Baron BMW comparisons. In many ways, the new Star plant is freeway architecture. But let's please remember that the building is a printing plant. It looks pretty damn good for a printing plant. :D