Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Post by loftguy »

moderne wrote:Has anyone seen the row of collonades on Wyandotee iust south of ARmour. Delightfully redone and coordinated. Surround by decorative vegetal wrought iron security fencing As charming as anything in the NOLA Garden District. One sixplex is called the Yardbird suites in honor of the time Charlie Parker lived there.I really wish infill might adopt a model of 3 story walk up 6 plexz collonades slightly enlarged to include expected for modern liveing such as washer dryers in units 'walik in closets and pantrys and two bathrooms. and of course secure parking with carports.And of course those airy large outdoor balcony summer sleeping spots.
$1,800+ per month for such a new construction walkup.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

This is what will displace Hyde Park residents.

Not that people will was to sell, but tax bills will skyrocket with buildings like that going in.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

chaglang wrote:
grovester wrote:
KCMO won't add bike lanes because they don't want deal with Hyde Park and the inevitable parking, uh, discussion. The city has a $600k grant to spend on this and right now only plan on repainting the sharrows.
Well that's messed up.

Welcome back BTW.
Update: it turns out that KCMO won't add protected bike lanes on Armour because Public Works doesn't want them. Old Hyde Park, Squier Park, and Hyde Park have teamed up to press the city on the issue, but from what I heard tonight it's turned into a huge fight.
The decision is made by the City Council, not Public Works. PW gives advice, that is all. Now PW can have a big influence on the Council but the final decision would be the Council's, if they desire.
What was PW's reason(s) for being against?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

loftguy wrote:
moderne wrote:Has anyone seen the row of collonades on Wyandotee iust south of ARmour. Delightfully redone and coordinated. Surround by decorative vegetal wrought iron security fencing As charming as anything in the NOLA Garden District. One sixplex is called the Yardbird suites in honor of the time Charlie Parker lived there.I really wish infill might adopt a model of 3 story walk up 6 plexz collonades slightly enlarged to include expected for modern liveing such as washer dryers in units 'walik in closets and pantrys and two bathrooms. and of course secure parking with carports.And of course those airy large outdoor balcony summer sleeping spots.
$1,800+ per month for such a new construction walkup.
There are 4 replica 6-plex colonnades being built in Beacon Hill. I haven't heard what they will be charging for rent. Anyone know?

I have seen two different amounts for the cost of this project, which also includes the rehab of one historic 6-plex: $7M and $8.5M. I assume they are getting some tax credits. Maybe the $7M is the cost after the credits. So that would break down to $233K per unit. Yeah, that would requite some pretty hefty rents.

With the spate of new construction single-family infill houses we have been seeing in Midtown neighborhoods like Longfellow, Beacon Hill, and Union Hill, I did briefly have the opinion that the city would be better off with higher density multi-unit buildings in these spots (duplexes, 4 and 6-plexes). But on second thought, I think the best approach is single-family on the residential side streets and larger multi-family/mixed use on the main streets, like what is being built on Gillham in Union Hill and the Mac new construction on Main. I think there are enough opportunities on the major roads - Broadway, Main, Gillham, Troost, Linwood, 31st - to build enough units in larger buildings to add enough density. The single family construction fills a need and also adds homeowners who are more invested in the neighborhoods than renters.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

"Being built" is putting it very optimistically.
mykn

Post by mykn »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:But on second thought, I think the best approach is single-family on the residential side streets and larger multi-family/mixed use on the main streets, like what is being built on Gillham in Union Hill and the Mac new construction on Main. I think there are enough opportunities on the major roads - Broadway, Main, Gillham, Troost, Linwood, 31st - to build enough units in larger buildings to add enough density. The single family construction fills a need and also adds homeowners who are more invested in the neighborhoods than renters.
Would be a good way to fill in the voids on the major roads, increase pedestrian activity, and (better yet) keep people from complaining that renters will take up the street parking.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

mykn wrote:
KCtoBrooklyn wrote:But on second thought, I think the best approach is single-family on the residential side streets and larger multi-family/mixed use on the main streets, like what is being built on Gillham in Union Hill and the Mac new construction on Main. I think there are enough opportunities on the major roads - Broadway, Main, Gillham, Troost, Linwood, 31st - to build enough units in larger buildings to add enough density. The single family construction fills a need and also adds homeowners who are more invested in the neighborhoods than renters.
Would be a good way to fill in the voids on the major roads, increase pedestrian activity, and (better yet) keep people from complaining that renters will take up the street parking.
Absolutely. There's a legibility to that arrangement. For a smaller scale version, some of the numbered streets in South HP have 4 or 6 plex apartments, and SFH on the named streets. That works well too. To see what it looks like when apartments are stuck in any old place, walk through the Plaza-Westport neighborhood. It's kind of a mess.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: The decision is made by the City Council, not Public Works. PW gives advice, that is all. Now PW can have a big influence on the Council but the final decision would be the Council's, if they desire.
Right, that's how it's supposed to work. What seems to be happening is that PW makes a decision (at some level) and then waits for Council to give up/leave office or attaches an absurd price tag to the request.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

New members of the council can always request the matter to be tabled for a week or more if requested. At the same time on matters like this the two council members of the district involved usually have quite an influence on how these topics go.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Checked out the Newbern today. The lobby level looks amazing. The apartments have nice finishes...but most seemed so small. One had an old vault as part of it, a little creepy.

Some of the finishes were questionable and not really appropriate for the building (that carpet!) ...but not too terrible.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

That carpet reminds me of the period the building went up in. Fancy because you spent a lot of money on the building so don't cheap out on the inside.
And the original owners would have replaced carpet often as it wore down so I'm not bothered by it being modern.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

At the new building at Armour/Gilham
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... hisee.html

I really think a restaurant would do great over here just because of the shear density among younger people with disposable income MAC properties has created. I still think a food truck could make a killing over here, set up for a couple hours between like 4pm and 7pm .
mykn

Post by mykn »

brewcrew1000 wrote:At the new building at Armour/Gilham

I really think a restaurant would do great over here just because of the shear density among younger people with disposable income MAC properties has created. I still think a food truck could make a killing over here, set up for a couple hours between like 4pm and 7pm .
We're finally getting a coffee shop in the area. I alone will keep it in business.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Armour-Troost redevelopment plan will require condemnation

http://tinyurl.com/hwc6p8f
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

So the historic building at the southwest corner is going to die?
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Eon Blue wrote:So the historic building at the southwest corner is going to die?
That looks like a great building. At least try to save the facade! Image
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ That's dumb. Perfectly good building to renovate.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

mykn wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:At the new building at Armour/Gilham

We're finally getting a coffee shop in the area. I alone will keep it in business.
I was at the open house for the International and MAC did a really great job at completely renovating this building. Mother Jones coffee is excited about opening in the ground floor space and is working with MAC to get some dedicated parking in the garage. The apartments are super nice and though some of the bedrooms are smaller than I would like, the open floor plans are great and pretty spacious. The views on the upper floors are amazing. Finishes are nice as well. Prices start in the 1,000 for a studio and go up from there.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Read the entire condemnation article. This is an eminent domain process. They're trying to force a sale, not destroy the structures. The piece has an intersection typo but it literally says they want to renovate that building

I'm guessing there's some legal basis that the owners have to be shown to have not maintained the structures to force a sale and that's what "condemn" means
If so, this is great. I would rather the city get buildings condemned before they need to be taken down
The owners of those properties declined the PIEA's appraised-value offers, said Claude Page, a senior city planner who has been working on the plan.

A judge now will be appointed to conduct a condemnation hearing to determine "whether there is a public purpose for this blight removal to happen," Page said.

If condemnation is authorized, the court will determine the values of the properties, he added, and the PIEA at that point will be able to decide whether or not it wants to acquire them at the established prices.
He said neighbors are supportive of a master planning effort, which MAC has hired Helix Architecture + Design to lead. It calls for historic rehabilitation of the hotel building at Forest and Admiral [fixed] and four newly constructed mixed-use buildings at the four corners of Armour and Troost.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

flyingember wrote:Read the entire condemnation article. This is an eminent domain process. They're trying to force a sale, not destroy the structures. The piece has an intersection typo but it literally says they want to renovate that building

I'm guessing there's some legal basis that the owners have to be shown to have not maintained the structures to force a sale and that's what "condemn" means
If so, this is great. I would rather the city get buildings condemned before they need to be taken down
Yep. It is a common misconception that a condemned building means it is going to be torn down. Condemnation is the process through which the city can obtain ownership of a property.