Smart City Project

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Smart City Project

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the first two kiosks will be installed in front of the college basketball experience and mcfadden's on march 5.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is it true that Google is testing driverless cars in KC? This article claims Sly said so...
Kansas City’s mayor, Sly James, said his city’s competitive edge comes from its installed fibre network. He says KC has more fibre in place than any other city, and it is also the place where Google Fibre is testing its 1Gb/s broadband and its driverless car technology.
Haven't found any other reference so might be an error... or just not publicized?

http://www.globalconstructionreview.com ... smar7test/
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I'd be surprised if KC wins that challenge as it looks to be focused on traffic, which isn't exactly an issue in KC.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:I'd be surprised if KC wins that challenge as it looks to be focused on traffic, which isn't exactly an issue in KC.
https://www.transportation.gov/briefing ... -challenge

all of the DOT communications focus on this statement: Define what it means to be a “Smart City“ and become the country’s first city to fully integrate innovative technologies – self-driving cars, connected vehicles, and smart sensors – into their transportation network.

if other outlets are focusing more on the congestion or traffic mitigation angle, that's their bias.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah so if the SmartCity aspect is indeed the focus and not traffic, KC has a good chance.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

pash wrote:Maybe the mayor's office is talking with Google?
Not saying I've heard exactly this, but maybe I've heard exactly this. I wish I knew more, but everything I've heard involved someone stopping themselves before they said more.

I think the mayor's office has been in contact with Google regarding a number of things since the Google Fiber announcement, but there have been hints at some cool future announcements for a while now. We've all heard rumors of a potential large scale wifi offering that has seemingly taken forever to not manifest itself, but I wouldn't be shocked if Google/Alphabet tries something in KC related to driverless vehicles. The fact that downtown KC doesn't have bad traffic actually make it a great place to test new technology.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Nice blurb on KC's smart city initiatives and local transportation industry tie into IoT (internet of things), claiming to give KC a good shot to win competition discussed above...

http://www.computerworld.com/article/30 ... ities.html
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Any thoughts on Kansas City being in the mix for this "Test City"?
http://www.govtech.com/fs/Rumors-Mount- ... -Tech.html

Specifically, this quote near the end of the article caught my eye:
"Alternatively, Alphabet might simply be looking to find a part of a city it can turn into a “digital district.” That might involve a bid process with cities and counties. According to The Information, Denver and Detroit are early prospects in the company’s eyes."
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCtonic wrote:Any thoughts on Kansas City being in the mix for this "Test City"?
http://www.govtech.com/fs/Rumors-Mount- ... -Tech.html

Specifically, this quote near the end of the article caught my eye:
"Alternatively, Alphabet might simply be looking to find a part of a city it can turn into a “digital district.” That might involve a bid process with cities and counties. According to The Information, Denver and Detroit are early prospects in the company’s eyes."
I feel like KC is uniquely positioned to get some more really cool projects like this, though it is difficult to see what the true ultimate goal is from Google's perspective. KC already has a Google infrastructure, and Google already has a relationship with the city and a relationship with the utilities in the city. The city has already had discussions with Google regarding public wifi and many more hush hush possible projects. I'm sure Google has employees managing relationships in every large city, but I feel like KC has the distinction of being a city on the rise and of such size that a company like Google can pretty much do whatever they want (or get away with more than in a city such as Denver). Detroit is very attractive because it is even more of a blank slate, but that could also pose some challenges from an infrastructure/community engagement perspective.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KC has been getting a wide range of coverage and attention on the Smart City initiative. Streetcar usually mentioned along with it. Has particularly picked up in the last month. Too many to post so can check out Google News list here..

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl= ... HN2a5-ZW0o

This article stands out...
http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-an ... smart-city
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the winner of the smart city challenge grant is next month. that will be a VERY big deal if we win.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

DaveKCMO wrote:the winner of the smart city challenge grant is next month. that will be a VERY big deal if we win.
We could definitely use it more than the other 6 finalists that already have well established local economies. I feel good about our chances
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote:the winner of the smart city challenge grant is next month. that will be a VERY big deal if we win.
KC last to be visited from Transportation Secretary, May 20. This explains what the winning city gets...
http://www.infozine.com/news/stories/op ... sid/64577/

I'd be surprised if KC wins but would indeed be a very big deal.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KC smart city planners hoping to have driverless vehicles running in KC within 3 years. Not sure if they mean Uber style service or what. I could see starting with some fixed routes, like from streetcar line to certain destinations - Westport/Plaza, etc.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... -city.html

Has anyone confirmed rumor if Google is testing driverless cars in KC as Sly implied?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

earthling wrote:KC smart city planners hoping to have driverless vehicles running in KC within 3 years. Not sure if they mean Uber style service or what. I could see starting with some fixed routes, like from streetcar line to certain destinations - Westport/Plaza, etc.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... -city.html

Has anyone confirmed rumor if Google is testing driverless cars in KC as Sly implied?
Far from a confirmation, but I've heard rumors that Google is at least talking about something very much like that and may already be further along than many realize. It is possible that we will get a glimpse at what could happen to the Smart City winner or even in KC regardless (to a degree) via Google I/O this week. They should announce plans or a proverbial roadmap for driverless cars over the next few months and years. KC is uniquely positioned to accommodate Google's new technology since the disruption to the community would probably be minimal here as compared to other tech-oriented communities.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Google puts out a monthly report of their driverless vehicles and part of that is where they are located. KC is not currently on the list.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Thanks, I thought the Sly comment was suspect or at least too vague.

BTW, might be gimmicky but with KC wanting to become a 'living test lab' for muni IoT (and actually getting momentum), I could see a buzz phrase like 'Kansas City | Beta City' (KC|BC), meaning KC is willing to beta test anything.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KC Beta Beta.

In a side note, Pittsburgh is revealed to have driverless Uber in the testing phase (also a finalist).