BBQ WARS!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: BBQ WARS!

Post by KCPowercat »

They haven't been smoking at current location...and the article says they will now smoke on site

http://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/k ... 45880.html
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Good news smoking onsite, catered like BBQ not the same.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I couldn't find a thread for slaps bbq and it's impossible to search for "kck". I love the food here and was in this pm. They have purchased the building next door and will expand to seat 75. I hope they set up an outdoor patio and add beer. The proprietors are great folks.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

grovester wrote:I couldn't find a thread for slaps bbq and it's impossible to search for "kck". I love the food here and was in this pm. They have purchased the building next door and will expand to seat 75. I hope they set up an outdoor patio and add beer. The proprietors are great folks.
The one time I ate there the ribs were phenomenal. I thought they mentioned their expansion would come with an increase in hours to 8 or 9 PM, but it was a few months ago, so I don't know if I'm making that up.

**Edit - Looks like Yelp has them open until 8PM, but their website is out of date. Also, the potato casserole is insane good.**
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I work in WyCo fairly often, so Slap's is a pretty frequent lunch stop. I've had a couple misses there, but for the most part top notch cue with imo atrocious sauce. The spicy they added not that long ago is tolerable though.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Slaps sauce is definitely disappointing.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

lock+load wrote:Slaps sauce is definitely disappointing.
That's not good, considering they supposedly had a hand in developing a national brand sauce that represents Kansas City.

KC's BBQ sauce style will go national thanks to Kraft Heinz
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I usually don't add any more as a little goes a long way.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

As has been debated heavily in other thread, if the meat requires sauce to work, it wasn't smoked/rubbed right. But of sauces, what people like seem to vary wildly. What one really likes, another strongly dislikes. A friend has BBQ parties often and makes a point to make various sauces because of strong dislikes - usually does range of sweet, hot and vinegar based sauces - sometimes a thai inspired version that is awesome. Am not into salty sauces, like Gates. Head Country out of OK is one of my favorite of bottled sauces - vinegary zest, on the sweet side.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCLofts wrote:
That's not good, considering they supposedly had a hand in developing a national brand sauce that represents Kansas City.

KC's BBQ sauce style will go national thanks to Kraft Heinz
Given that it is apparently called "Kansas City Sweet and Smoky" they've already failed as far as I'm concerned. Sweet is for candy, and smoky is for meat. If you put liquid smoke in your sauce, just piss right off.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The new stuff had definitely been "Heinzed"
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

grovester wrote:The new stuff had definitely been "Heinzed"
It tastes like Masterpiece with liquid smoke added.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

earthling wrote:
As has been debated heavily in other thread, if the meat requires sauce to work, it wasn't smoked/rubbed right. But of sauces, what people like seem to vary wildly. What one really likes, another strongly dislikes. A friend has BBQ parties often and makes a point to make various sauces because of strong dislikes - usually does range of sweet, hot and vinegar based sauces - sometimes a thai inspired version that is awesome. Am not into salty sauces, like Gates. Head Country out of OK is one of my favorite of bottled sauces - vinegary zest, on the sweet side.
I barely use sauce at Slaps - and when I do it's just a bit of their spicy one to add some heat. Maybe dip a fry or two. I think it's really good.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Per the Star, Plowboys plans on being open in the new location for lunch on Thursday, with dinner service starting on November 3.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I was told by a Plowboys employee that evenings only Thurs through Sat.

Why do businesses think only opening some evenings will succeed....many hotel visitors during the week would use Plowboys in the evening as well as residents. Opening just some evenings immediately turns me off as a potential customer.

Maybe it's just to get them going through the winter.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCPowercat wrote:I was told by a Plowboys employee that evenings only Thurs through Sat.

Why do businesses think only opening some evenings will succeed....many hotel visitors during the week would use Plowboys in the evening as well as residents. Opening just some evenings immediately turns me off as a potential customer.

Because no business wants to lose their shirt by staying open on nights they can't break even. If they do well, they can expand to Sun-Wed. If an established brand wanted to give it a shot - fine, but it's suicide for a new restaurant.

I get that people want more Sun-Wed night options downtown, but using a restaurant as a catalyst to change established economic behavior is not going to work. The "if you build it, they will come" theory ain't gonna cut it.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

You could argue that staying open 6-7 nights a week would actually increase their sales Thursday thru Saturday, but I'd still not come down on them very hard for deciding what they did. Now, sticking with your posted hours and not closing early, etc, that's a different story.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WSPanic wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:I was told by a Plowboys employee that evenings only Thurs through Sat.

Because no business wants to lose their shirt by staying open on nights they can't break even. If they do well, they can expand to Sun-Wed. If an established brand wanted to give it a shot - fine, but it's suicide for a new restaurant.

I get that people want more Sun-Wed night options downtown, but using a restaurant as a catalyst to change established economic behavior is not going to work. The "if you build it, they will come" theory ain't gonna cut it.
They won't do well only open Thurs through Saturday night and will be missing on building a loyal following with residents in the area and all the business from hotel rooms filled by business people during the week. Weekend dinner traffic isn't looking for counter BBQ.

We actually have plenty of every night dining options downtown now... (not much in the bbq space of course) so this really isn't about that... It's about seeing other businesses do this in the past and not make it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

And I totally get wanting to keep costs down and dip their toe into evening hours.... But just like they tried Saturday hours at their prior location for 3 weeks and threw their hands up and proclaimed it didn't work, opening only a few days will be a bigger waste of money than just opening every night with a small staff.

Hope I'm wrong but seen it too many times in the past.