OFFICIAL - Hilton Home2 Suites Hotel (20th & Main)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Hilton Home2 Suites Hotel - 20th & Main

Post by beautyfromashes »

I'm more frustrated that it doesn't connect it's property on the south end with the Freighthouse District under the bridge. It's a great opportunity to continue the development to the East. Instead, they put a trash dumpster blocking the path from Lidia's to their hotel. Dumb.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:I'm more frustrated that it doesn't connect it's property on the south end with the Freighthouse District under the bridge. It's a great opportunity to continue the development to the East. Instead, they put a trash dumpster blocking the path from Lidia's to their hotel. Dumb.
there's a streetcar substation under the bridge there. Are you sure the opportunity still exists?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

in case anyone was wondering about where portKC's revenue comes from: http://www.portkc.com/wp-content/upload ... oll-Up.pdf
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

pash wrote:The main thing to be upset with is the amount of money the city spent on this site—first removing the Walnut viaduct, then buying out the billboard owner—to get this result. Oh, and let's not forget the imminent investments in the streetscape project, the TIF incentives, and now possibly still more financing assistance from PortKC.

If you want to build this junk with your own money, that's one thing. Go right ahead. But the city invested millions of dollars of public money in this piece of property, and this dreck simply should not be accepted in return. And to be clear, yes, I am at least as upset with our city leaders and handers-out of public money as I am with the developers. It is easier, to my mind, to excuse the former for their quick-buck hucksterism, for their poor taste, and for their ignorance of good urban-development practices than it is to excuse the public officials who apparently either consider this garbage a fair trade for the huge sums of money they threw away on it, or are otherwise completely incompetent in their roles as stewards of the public purse and architects of our city's future.
This.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

If there really is demand for hotel space for the IRS building and businesses in U.S., I'd like to see a hotel redevelopment of the glass building that is connected to US. It's so ugly! Perhaps they could make the outside look more historic since it is right next to such an iconic building.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:If there really is demand for hotel space for the IRS building and businesses in U.S., I'd like to see a hotel redevelopment of the glass building that is connected to US. It's so ugly! Perhaps they could make the outside look more historic since it is right next to such an iconic building.
There's no glass building attached to Union Station. If you mean the IRS that's the old post office building. If you mean GSA it's in the building next to Union Station.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think BeautyfromAshes is talking about Two Pershing Square.

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Yes, strip that building to the concrete and make it tie better to US as a hotel. With all the activity at US, connection to CC by link and access to the streetcar, it would be very popular. Right now, I hate how it tKes away from US. It shouldn't have been built in the first place.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

GSA has a 20 year lease for 140,000 sq ft. 18-19 years left.

That looks to be 1/3 of the building

A hotel conversion would be decades out
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

subscriber-only piece about crossroads hotels, but wanted to share this bit that hadn't been made public yet:
Sunflower Group traditionally works on historic buildings, so matching the Home2 Suites project to the neighborhood’s look was a familiar task.

“We want to design it to fit what the neighbors want and what the communities want,” Moberly said.

The first-floor facade will have an art front, tentatively a piece playing on Kansas City’s jazz history. Sunflower is working with the Mid-America Arts Alliance for the project and hopes the hotel becomes an art center for First Fridays.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/p ... ve-no.html
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

from the 20th street update:
Non-related 20th Street Work
  • Home2 Suites will begin construction of the hotel on the southeast corner of 20th and Main.
  • This will close 20th between Main and Walnut for crews to make a water service tap. This project is not in conjunction with 20th street, however the project team has been coordinating with them to minimize traffic disruptions.
  • After the water service is connected 20th- Main to Walnut will re-open. Anticipated completion one week.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

trivia tidbit: when the city reverted the flyway back to private ownership, they had to split it between adjacent owners -- half went to the hotel site, half went to superior moving. superior moving is now selling, of course.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

it's finally happening.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Two blocks west of Abbott’s building, excavation for a planned 112-room Hilton Home2 Suites at 2001 Main St. needs only a utility easement to be moved before work can begin, said developer Jason Swords.

Swords, with the Sunflower Development Group, said he expects the hotel to open “11 months from today.”

The site previously housed the Walnut Street ramp that veered northeast off Main Street and a large billboard, both of which required extensive city involvement to clear.
Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... rylink=cpy
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Voxide
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Voxide »

I know this isn't a recent development, but I was diving into the dark depths of Youtube and I found this video from 1991 that has footage of the previous building that was on 20th and main (between Main and the Walnut viaduct).

Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG1YSwNtnes#t=3m50s

I thought that footage was incredible. Unfortunately.. it suffered the fate of the wrecking ball as so many others have in this city :(. Does anybody know anything about the building that used to be there?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There were several buildings that lined the east side of the Main Street Viaduct. Among them were the Hotel North, Superior Window Shade manufacturing company, the Overhead Door Company, and on the corner of 20th and Main was Sifers Valomilk Candy Co.. It sounds like a small beans candy company, but it actually grew to be quite large before it was sold off to another company, and eventually disappeared. The original family recreated the candy and produces them in Merriam, Kansas.

Perhaps a nice gimmick for the Hilton Home2 Suites Hotel would be to leave complimentary Sifer's Valomilk candies in each of the hotel rooms as a homage to the history of their site.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The empty dirt lot a few posts up is now made up of deeper pits.