Zipcar

Transportation topics in KC
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Private Car Share

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah get a $10 discount if you are a UMKC student/staff but anybody can sign up. I'll probably wait until I "need" it before I pay $35 application and start the clock on a $50/year membership.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, the Plaza and Downtown areas particularly need this. Is surprising how many people around Plaza do not have a car. More than you'd think.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

If UMKC does open its downtown fine arts campus, I would expect ZipCar to come along. I would also expect that if they start to get any significant number of non-students signing up, we might see non-UMKC locations.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Zipcar service zeros in on UMKC, Rockhurst campuses
And if the membership program catches on at the two local universities, Boston-based Zipcar eventually could be locating its online rental cars on other Kansas City locations as well, said Michael Serafino, Zipcar’s general manager for university programs.

“There is likelihood, but I’m hesitant to say when,” Serafino said. “We start at the university level, where there is some density, and try to grow out into local communities, but we need a beachhead.”
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

hertz and enterprise also offer car-sharing services. doesn't have to just be zipcar downtown. i was just approved for a membership. my zipcard should arrive soon!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Enterprise can rot in hell. #neverforget
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote:hertz and enterprise also offer car-sharing services. doesn't have to just be zipcar downtown. i was just approved for a membership. my zipcard should arrive soon!
I think Hertz and Enteprise require drivers over 25. ZipCar is 18, which is probably why they are mostly based around college campuses. What's interesting about ZipCar is that there is no interaction with a person, all done online or via smartphone app.

http://www.zipcar.com/how/

What's also interesting is that the UMKC version apparently includes bike sharing and free bus pass. Not sure if that's per car rental or full year.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

bus pass is paid for by a new student fee. the athletic department runs bike share, i think?
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Most rental chains restrict drivers 21-24 to smaller cars.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The UMKC Zipcar location now shows actual cars available at the site. Use it or lose it...

http://www.zipcar.com/umkc/find-cars

click on the green tag on map

hmm, this needs it's own thread (and it's not downtown)
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Zipcar hourly rental

Post by earthling »

UMKC has Zipcar hourly rentals, available now. Use it or lose it.

http://www.zipcar.com/umkc/find-cars

Click on green tag on map to see the actual cars available.
Last edited by earthling on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by blackbird »

Yup - cars are available now (a Focus and a Prius). They're parked right by the student center, not far from the Spencer Theater. Both UMKC and the City are interested in expanding if we can get the utilization percentages up on the cars at UMKC to a point that they'd be willing to add them. Agreed with the previous poster - use it or lose it. Zipcar's current model is to expand through university campuses, so Rockhurst and UMKC pairing up should hopefully help the program grow faster, since 18-21 year olds have to be affiliated with the host university campus to rent the car.

Other than that, anyone 21+ can rent the vehicles. Membership also allows you to rent the Zipcars anywhere else they have them, so it's particularly useful if you're traveling somewhere (Chicago, Philly, etc.) and don't want to rent/park a car but need one for a quick trip somewhere. If you are going to sign up, enter "postlaunch12" in the promo field and get an extra $10 of driving credit free.

There's good access to these cars via the two MAX routes and others. I know a lot of people are skeptical because UMKC students tend to bring cars, but hopefully having this service will mean they'll think twice about bringing a car to campus since they now have this option. Still, it needs support from the larger community as well to grow.
blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Zipcar hourly rental at UMKC

Post by blackbird »

[cross-posted in private car sharing thread.]

Yup - cars are available now (a Focus and a Prius). They're parked right by the student center, not far from the Spencer Theater. Both UMKC and the City are interested in expanding if we can get the utilization percentages up on the cars at UMKC to a point that they'd be willing to add them. Agreed with the previous poster - use it or lose it. Zipcar's current model is to expand through university campuses, so Rockhurst and UMKC pairing up should hopefully help the program grow faster, since 18-21 year olds have to be affiliated with the host university campus to rent the car.

Other than that, anyone 21+ can rent the vehicles. Membership also allows you to rent the Zipcars anywhere else they have them, so it's particularly useful if you're traveling somewhere (Chicago, Philly, etc.) and don't want to rent/park a car but need one for a quick trip somewhere. If you are going to sign up, enter "postlaunch12" in the promo field and get an extra $10 of driving credit free.

There's good access to these cars via the two MAX routes and others. I know a lot of people are skeptical because UMKC students tend to bring cars, but hopefully having this service will mean they'll think twice about bringing a car to campus since they now have this option. Still, it needs support from the larger community as well to grow.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Zipcar was acquired by Avis, it would be kind of nice if Zipcar was available at all the Avis locations around town. The Avis at 34th and Main would be a nice Zipcar spot.

Wonder how the one at UMKC is doing?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

ZipCar added airport location. KC now has 2 locations. Downtown seems ready for a location..

http://www.zipcar.com/kansascity/find-c ... 1726264914
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCMO is planning to issue an RFP for car-sharing, most likely just for downtown. zipcar doesn't need this kind of arrangement unless they're parking their cars in public space.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

https://twitter.com/staubio/status/696731186018684928
#KC in negotiation with Zipcar to bring car share to dedicated city-provided spaces downtown.