Brookside

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Brookside

Post by flyingember »

Obviously not, but with the number of things that can happen, it might as well be heading towards infinity. Someone saying there's no reason something couldn't be built is stating the opposite of the truth. Take a fixed space and you can come up with an order of a magnitude more projects that won't get built than ones that will. Everything from a home owner not liking people seeing in their back yard at night to storm water management to a property owner wanting $10,000 more for their corner lot to a racist developer not liking the demographics of bus riders.

People keep saying that Citadel Plaza can't be a reason that there's not more apartments west of Troost on 63rd but it absolutely can. And it's just as realistic as ordinances requiring bike parking in new residential projects to cause a project to not happen
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Citadel Plaza might be "a" factor for some and for some it wouldn't be taken into account. And for those it is a factor it would be way down the list of negatives.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

pash wrote:
chaglang wrote:If I follow correctly, there are a number of factors, between zero and infinity, hindering development on 63rd, east of Main, and Citadel Plaza is either the only factor, one of many factors or not a factor at all. It's like quantum mechanics applied to development. :D
I also do think the neighborhood's residents are broadly opposed to apartments and density generally. Surprisingly so, really. There might be more hope farther south in Waldo.
Pash, they are more visionary apparently than you.

In the near future--probably five years, every American will live in their own 10,000 sq. ft. single family home alone--on a 5 acre lot. This will be true for children and babies as well. With cams and wi-fi, this will be entirely possible. There will be no need for apartments, so there is no need to plan for, or build, any more apartment buildings.

Shared housing of any kind is communism.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

FangKC wrote:
pash wrote:
chaglang wrote:If I follow correctly, there are a number of factors, between zero and infinity, hindering development on 63rd, east of Main, and Citadel Plaza is either the only factor, one of many factors or not a factor at all. It's like quantum mechanics applied to development. :D
I also do think the neighborhood's residents are broadly opposed to apartments and density generally. Surprisingly so, really. There might be more hope farther south in Waldo.
Pash, they are more visionary apparently than you.

In the near future--probably five years, every American will live in their own 10,000 sq. ft. single family home alone--on a 5 acre lot. This will be true for children and babies as well. With cams and wi-fi, this will be entirely possible. There will be no need for apartments, so there is no need to plan for, or build, any more apartment buildings.

Shared housing of any kind is communism.
Seems to me that dividing up the country equally is more true to communist ideals.

Besides, neither 5 nor 7.2 acres is anywhere near big enough to keep me away all the peoples I really don't like...
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If humans keep breeding like rabbits, we'll have to cut it down to 3.6 acre lots.
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

http://m.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives/2 ... e-tomorrow

The Pitch covered Brookside's new Heirloom Bakery as well as Briokdide's expansion into "Brookside East" along 63rd. In addition to Heirloom, the former Blockbuster building has done new tenants and the former Alanz Thester space is being converted into an event space. There's also talk of new apartments at 63rd and Holmes.

http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/bro ... businesses
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

we went to heirloom saturday morning. there was a giant line out the door the entire time we were there.

they have really done a nice job with the build-out. everything we tried was really tasty too - strawberry/mint scone, cheddar/black pepper biscuit, and a homemade strawberry "pop tart." coffee appears to be from thou mayest and is quite good. i think this place is going to be a hit. i think they are doing a limited lunch (sandwiches, soup, etc) too.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I almost stopped by on Sunday but was intimidated by the black SUVs crammed into the parking lot.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

voltopt wrote:I almost stopped by on Sunday but was intimidated by the black SUVs crammed into the parking lot.
I assume that's your natural reaction after having been part of Federal Witness Relocation - welcome back to The Rag.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

First renderings I've seen of the project at 63rd & Holmes, which calls for 23 market rate apts + parking on an empty surface parking lot.

Skip to page 72 of this document.

KCDowntown
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Construction has begun on UC-B Properties' 3-story, 23-unit, apartment building on the corner of 63rd and Holmes. There will be one and two bedroom units, and each will have its' own private outdoor patio or deck.

https://www.facebook.com/ucbproperties/ ... =3&theater

http://uc-bproperties.com/63brookside/
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Looks similar to the new building on Gillham north of 30th.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

The juice/raw bar opened next door....who doesn't need $9 juice drinks?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

The framing on this one is up to the 3rd floor.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Partners blaze a redevelopment trail toward the East Side
The developers who led the charge to create a new tax abatement district, including a stretch of 63rd Street leading to Kansas City's East Side, have become the district's first beneficiaries.

On Thursday, the Planned Industrial Expansion Authority board granted property tax abatements to development partners Butch Rigby and Byron Pendleton for three redevelopment projects they're undertaking at 425, 601 and 633 E. 63rd St.

The projects, expected to cost a total of $4.6 million, are in the new 63rd Street Corridor PIEA Area, which includes both sides of the thoroughfare between Oak Street and Troost Avenue.

The abated projects include redevelopment of the former Cleveland Chiropractic building, which now stands vacant at 601 E. 63rd St. Rigby said his partnership will spend $1.8 million on improvements to the 30,000-square-foot building, including a modern glass exterior to help attract office tenants.

Support also was approved for the redevelopment of the former First Call Alcohol/Drug Prevention & Recovery building at 633 E. 63rd St. The developers will invest $1.6 million on improvements to that vacant 8,800-square-foot building, including the addition of a 6,600-square-foot second story.

The third project will result in $1.2 million in improvements to the two-story, 10,000-square-foot building that stands vacant at 425 E. 63rd St.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... d-the.html
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

New townhomes planned by UCB for 63rd St, just east of Heirloom Bakery:
As of now, there is no official name for the townhomes project; perhaps 63 Oak Townhomes as these units are located directly east of Heirloom Bakery at 63rd and Oak. Each townhome will be three levels, with two bedrooms, three full baths, a ‘flex’ space on the lower level (that could be a third bedroom), a two car garage, and three private outdoor spaces (front patio, front deck off living room and back deck off the kitchen). The units will range from 1800-2000 SF and be priced in the low $400K price range with a to-be-determined monthly HOA fee. The exterior will feature a ‘modern, contemporary design’ according to John. They plan to break ground this spring and sell in the fall.
https://insidebrookside.wordpress.com/2 ... brookside/

I think the rendering looks great. I hope they actually end up looking like that. Too bad all those big windows in the front will have views of a strip mall (former Blockbuster).