beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: beer.

Post by grovester »

It's at 17th & Campbell, just west of hwy 71, on the south end of a large building. There are a set of wooden steps you can see from the parking lot.

The inside is cozy, like you've barged into someone's clubhouse, but everyone was quite friendly. I'm going to assume there were a lot of regulars there at just past 5. They have windows looking toward the brewery production area, they could really do themselves good by blowing out the west wall someway.

The beers were good, you can get most in town, I had just had the monk and honey earlier in the week at westside local. The abv skews a bit high, but not crazy high, 6-8 maybe. The lumber lung was an oak casked dark ale(?), pretty hearty for hot weather, but they had the ac cranked. Others had the IPA and the pale ale, which was a bit too hoppy for my flavor of pale ale. No food, but the web page said you're welcome to bring your own. There are a couple of picnic tables on the patio and a few small tables inside. Beers were $5 each which seemed really reasonable.

Being as we were there on a FF, I'd guess it's not regularly crowded, it is a bit off the trail. It was full though when we left. I can see visiting as they roll out new brews.
http://www.tornlabel.com/tap-room/
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

StL_Dan wrote:
grovester wrote:Tried the Torn Label tap room this evening. Small interior space, maybe 25 seats. They have a deck which will be nice once the weather breaks, as it's west facing. Good beers, about 6 choices, tried the Lumber Lung and Monk and Honey. Once Howard's opens I can see grabbing a burger and heading here for beverages.
Tell me more.
I think he meant more on Howards...found here: http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5701&start=1380

I went to torn label for the first time on the airshow weekend. Enjoyed it thoroughly sitting at the outdoor tables watching the Blue Angels. Definitely out of the way and minimal signage (only thing i saw was a wooden sign shaped like a beer bottle) but worth seeking out.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Thought it seemed kind of cryptic.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

droopy wrote:
StL_Dan wrote:
grovester wrote:Tried the Torn Label tap room this evening. Small interior space, maybe 25 seats. They have a deck which will be nice once the weather breaks, as it's west facing. Good beers, about 6 choices, tried the Lumber Lung and Monk and Honey. Once Howard's opens I can see grabbing a burger and heading here for beverages.
Tell me more.
I think he meant more on Howards...found here: http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5701&start=1380

I went to torn label for the first time on the airshow weekend. Enjoyed it thoroughly sitting at the outdoor tables watching the Blue Angels. Definitely out of the way and minimal signage (only thing i saw was a wooden sign shaped like a beer bottle) but worth seeking out.
Thanks!
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

grovester wrote:It's at 17th & Campbell, just west of hwy 71, on the south end of a large building. There are a set of wooden steps you can see from the parking lot.

The inside is cozy, like you've barged into someone's clubhouse, but everyone was quite friendly. I'm going to assume there were a lot of regulars there at just past 5. They have windows looking toward the brewery production area, they could really do themselves good by blowing out the west wall someway.

The beers were good, you can get most in town, I had just had the monk and honey earlier in the week at westside local. The abv skews a bit high, but not crazy high, 6-8 maybe. The lumber lung was an oak casked dark ale(?), pretty hearty for hot weather, but they had the ac cranked. Others had the IPA and the pale ale, which was a bit too hoppy for my flavor of pale ale. No food, but the web page said you're welcome to bring your own. There are a couple of picnic tables on the patio and a few small tables inside. Beers were $5 each which seemed really reasonable.

Being as we were there on a FF, I'd guess it's not regularly crowded, it is a bit off the trail. It was full though when we left. I can see visiting as they roll out new brews.
http://www.tornlabel.com/tap-room/
This is appreciated too. Thanks, grovester.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ruins pub - 1715 main

interesting self-serve craft beer by the ounce + hungarian "ruin" bar concept. haven't tried the food yet, but the self-serve beer thing is pretty cool. they give you a card and you place the card in the tap you want and pour. the screen tells you how much you've spent. once you reach 32oz (state limit) they can reset you manually. 40 taps, plus 9 or so behind the bar.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

DaveKCMO wrote:ruins pub - 1715 main

interesting self-serve craft beer by the ounce + hungarian "ruin" bar concept. haven't tried the food yet, but the self-serve beer thing is pretty cool. they give you a card and you place the card in the tap you want and pour. the screen tells you how much you've spent. once you reach 32oz (state limit) they can reset you manually. 40 taps, plus 9 or so behind the bar.
How do you pay for your ounces? That's something I haven't seen an explanation on yet. Different price per ounce for different beers? Is the card they give you tied to a credit card or something? Seems like an interesting concept, didn't know they opened already. Thanks!
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

This will be the ruin of many a pour boy.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

droopy wrote:Is the card they give you tied to a credit card or something? Seems like an interesting concept, didn't know they opened already. Thanks!
yes. there were two of us and we only got one card (not sure why). when we paid up at the bar they were able to split the final amount on two debit cards.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Boulevard's The Calling has the shelves in some Houston liquor stores. Excellent beer - Maybe my favorite Boulevard Beer yet.

http://www.boulevard.com/the-calling/
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I have been generally unimpressed with BLVD's new offerings of late. Too many IPAs or radlers for my taste. Snow and Tell on the other hand is pretty darn tasty. Oak aged scotch ale, not too potent, 6% so you can have more than two.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I love the Snow and Tell.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Crane Brewing has released Apricot Weiss, Farmhouse IPA, Saison & Orange Gose in Kansas. Anyone tried them yet? Love the packaging.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mgh7676 wrote:Crane Brewing has released Apricot Weiss, Farmhouse IPA, Saison & Orange Gose in Kansas. Anyone tried them yet? Love the packaging.
What's the closest place to downtown that carries them? It kills me they aren't in MO.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

smh wrote:
mgh7676 wrote:Crane Brewing has released Apricot Weiss, Farmhouse IPA, Saison & Orange Gose in Kansas. Anyone tried them yet? Love the packaging.
What's the closest place to downtown that carries them? It kills me they aren't in MO.
They had Crane at Tipsys Liquor Store at Johnson & Metcalf a couple weeks ago. The IPA was great.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

This sounds kind of fun. Anybody been on the tour?

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 67913.html
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Boulevard has purchased adjacent building to be a visitor center with a beer hall. Huzzah!

http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/bou ... on-madison
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I'm usually way on top of these things, but somehow this one slipped completely under my radar until I noticed it this morning. A new brewub, Calibration Brewery, opened in NKC yesterday just north of Paul & Jack's Tavern. That area bounded by Burlington, Swift, Armour, and 18th continues to explode.

http://www.pitch.com/food-drink/blog/20 ... ansas-city

http://www.calibrationbrewery.com/
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Finally!

http://kcbeerblog.blogspot.com/2016/10/ ... -beer.html

Sure hope this guy is a doctor.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.