OFFICIAL - Second and Delaware

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Second and Delaware

Post by voltopt »

It is a great project, no doubt, but I caution all KC acolytes to look past the shiny PR elements and really think about what makes KC the place that it is, and the place that it could be. Delaware Street north of 2nd is public, currently, and is one of only four possible connections to a future riverfront use. This project cuts that off; even if it remains open symbolically, the connection will be privatized and will be beyond the public's control. This may seem like a fair trade off to some, but why is it even necessary for this project? An urbanist would rail against this consolidation of a superblock at this most significant and historic site - it is changing the imprint of the city, an imprint that has existed in this area since before the Civil War. I know it heads no-where now, but it is short-sighted to think that the riverfront will remain the way it is forever. Many seemingly impossible developments have happened recently, and someday in the future the Riverfront and rail tracks may get the attention they deserve.

Once this is vacated, you can't easily get it back.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

zonk wrote:No incentives on 2nd & Del???
It received 10 year 100% followed by 15 year 50% abatement for about $3 million in Chp 353 assistance.

And the vacation of the right of way should be considered an incentive.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Yep...thx Kboish! That's what i thought. All this abatement helping finance the sustainable features on the project? Similar to BNIM eh?
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

And the City contributed $2.9m.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

2.9 million over 50 years, the rough lifespan of concrete if unmaintained (for worst case costs) is $58,000 per year to get a quality project.

Sounds like a better deal than some of them on the table.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

2.9 million (or roughly $3 million) over 25 years. I don't recall the total price of the project.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kboish wrote:2.9 million (or roughly $3 million) over 25 years. I don't recall the total price of the project.
I was doing the life of the building, not life of the incentives.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I thought the 2.9 mil was for the completion of 2nd street from Delaware to Wyandotte?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

loftguy wrote:I thought the 2.9 mil was for the completion of 2nd street from Delaware to Wyandotte?
Yeah, I think a lot of people forget that part of this project is restoring the grid for that block. That'll be a big deal for linking Market Station to the rest of RM.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

voltopt wrote:It is a great project, no doubt, but I caution all KC acolytes to look past the shiny PR elements and really think about what makes KC the place that it is, and the place that it could be. Delaware Street north of 2nd is public, currently, and is one of only four possible connections to a future riverfront use. This project cuts that off; even if it remains open symbolically, the connection will be privatized and will be beyond the public's control. This may seem like a fair trade off to some, but why is it even necessary for this project? An urbanist would rail against this consolidation of a superblock at this most significant and historic site - it is changing the imprint of the city, an imprint that has existed in this area since before the Civil War. I know it heads no-where now, but it is short-sighted to think that the riverfront will remain the way it is forever. Many seemingly impossible developments have happened recently, and someday in the future the Riverfront and rail tracks may get the attention they deserve.

Once this is vacated, you can't easily get it back.

Just want to acknowledge this post- why can't cities have a Board of Aesthetics that uphold urban planning priniciples? I guess I'll save that question for the fanfic.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 12913.html
Ground work is beginning about three months later than originally expected. Blight abatement and excavation is expected to take about three months before work begins to construct the project’s parking garage.
Arnold, who has redeveloped other River Market properties, said Monday that the project this month closed on crucial financing through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, obtaining a $49 million fixed-rate, government-insured mortgage loan.

That financing is coupled with issuance of $30 million in tax-exempt Multifamily Housing Revenue Bonds authorized by the Planned Industrial Expansion Authority and sold by Ameritas.

“There was ample demand for the bonds, which was great,” Arnold said.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

site prep:

Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Seeing it in person gives you an appreciation for the size of this project. They have a lot of dirt to move on the west half where that excavator is sitting. All of that has to be cut down and the retaining wall removed for the underground garage.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I wonder if they'll find anything cool. I imagine there's a lot of history in that dirt.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

taxi wrote:I wonder if they'll find anything cool. I imagine there's a lot of history in that dirt.
Not necessarily. The original land lowering did away with any early history and the rail yard prep would have done away with a lot after that
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I'm goin over there with my metal detector to make sure.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

ZERO activity in the last week. What's up?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

zonk wrote:ZERO activity in the last week. What's up?
It's probably as simple as the next company couldn't be scheduled until the city signed off on the work already done
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ask anyone at riverbend lofts. i'm sure there's activity we just haven't noticed.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

It had been quiet. Totally.

However, today there are 20 dump trucks lined up in an endless procession as they are hauling away loess from the site.