OFFICIAL - Hilton Home2 Suites Hotel (20th & Main)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Hilton Home2 Suites Hotel - 20th & Main

Post by kboish »

some quotes from the fact sheet linked above.
Analysis:
The subject property is a highly visible property, located at an
important intersection in the community, immediately
adjacent to two substantial public improvement projects: the
20th St Streetscape Improvements, and the streetcar.
Development which occurs in such locations should be
designed with these improvements in mind and thus should
be pedestrian friendly and transit supportive.
Staff believes the revised plan generally meets these recommendations. The applicant has provided a retail tenant space on the ground level and worked with staff to relocate and enlarge the space to make it more visible and marketable to potential tenants. The plans presented to City Plan Commission showed potential artwork locations on the individual masonry columns at the ground level along 20th St but the area between the columns was open. The plans have since been revised to show a metal artwork screen. The intent of the metal screen is provide a “canvas” or backdrop upon which art will be applied (the artistic graphics depicted are conceptual, but the metal screen or similar with art applied or integrated will be required if the proposed plan is approved). Pedestrian scaled lighting at the ground level of the building has also been provided. In lieu of requiring the entire ground level of the building (along 20th St in particular) to consist of retail tenant space, staff believes the revised design is a reasonable compromise which complies with the general intent of the guidelines noted above.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ml?ana=twt
The Kansas City Council unanimously approved a development plan Thursday for the 114-room Home2 Suites by Hilton extended-stay hotel at the southeast corner of 20th and Main streets.
Assuming a property tax abatement is approved, construction will begin by the end of the year, with opening to follow 12 months after that.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I've decided that no matter how imperfect the design might appear to be, it's a whole lot better than a redundant viaduct and a parking lot that is marked private and gets little use.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

construction may start this winter.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

january construction start.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote:january construction start.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... n-the.html
MW Builders, part of Overland Park-based MMC Corp., has been selected to build Home2 Suites by Hilton, a $16 million, 110-room extended-stay hotel to be built at the southeast corner of 20th and Main streets in the Crossroads Arts District. Todd Winnerman, a vice president with the general contractor, said ground will be broken in January, with completion of the 62,000-square-foot, four-story building expected within 12 months. Vertical construction should begin as soon as March.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Apparently needs more financing. Too late to ask for better design?

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 34375.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Dump these losers. Site is prepped now with the bypass gone and billboard figured out.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Agreed. Dump (or don't help) the project and help developers who understand pedestrian scale design. Downtown doesn't quite yet have the plethora of development to be picky but it's time to get picky about any project that sucks (if asking for city help).
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I am speculating here, but I'm guessing the design is NOT being driven by Sunflower Development Group, which has done some great redevelopment in the City. I have a feeling it is more driven by the True North Hotel Group, which is probably dictating a bunch of design requirements based on a development model they use in their other hotel projects--a minimum of parking spaces, certain square footage, etc. A pre-conceived template---so to speak--that they are trying to fit into a really odd-sized parcel with no underground parking. Most chain-driven developments are pretty much the same overall.

Keep in mind that Sunflower Development Group has done, or are doing, some of our City's best redevelopments: Cosby Hotel, Ambassador Hotel on Grand, Pershing Lofts at 215 Pershing Road, 500 Walnut, Argyle Building, the Brookfield Building at 11th and Baltimore, the old Faxon School, and a couple of projects on the 1500 block of Grand. Sunflower Development Group has taken on some tough projects like the Cosby Hotel, which probably saved that building from demolition. No one else seemed willing to touch the Brookfield Building either. Both the Cosby Hotel and 1111 Grand buildings were at risk of collapse when Sunflower took them on, which probably saved both.

If there was enough financing available to do some below-grade parking in a garage, the project would probably be much-better designed on street-level. In some respects, I wish the Port Authority involvement could make that happen because we would probably get a much-better designed project. But adding below-grade parking would make the development more expensive to build, and probably require more incentives. It would require a longer period to pay off, and a different matrix of income from the hotel (more guaranteed room nights annually, or retail rents) to finance it. Adding the garage would reduce the margin of profit, which is probably tight as it is, without added public incentives.

Even if garage parking was part of this hotel design, while it might make the street-level experience better, I doubt the overall appearance of the hotel would change that much because, again, this is a chain-driven product, and they tend to stick to a specific appearance that is part of their brand identity.

So the desire to boot the developers probably shouldn't be so much directed at Sunflower Development Group, and instead, be the desire for a trendier, better operator of the hotel that might go for a better design.

That's unlikely to happen at this point because Sunflower has already partnered with two other hotel operators in redevelopment of historic buildings, the Hotel Indigo flag, a boutique arm of the InterContinental Hotels Group, in the Brookfield Building, and The Ambassador Hotel Group's hotel at 1111 Grand. There are just not that many other hotel management operators to pursue--without approaching chains.

http://sunflowerkc.com/projects/
Last edited by FangKC on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Well reasoned, Fang.

This development is geared specifically to serve the government employee market. Proximity to IRS, Federal Reserve and GSA is the driving factor.

Government workers coming into KC for training and project development are the type of per diem based-extended stay customer that is expected to be served in this development. It's a pretty clever development, but there is a slim margin.

I had a glance at the revised rendering about a month ago and I'm OK with how this will present. Until then, I had somehow missed that a small retail space has now been included in the prime corner of the project, which I was told was in response to constructive neighborhood conversations.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

loftguy wrote: I had a glance at the revised rendering about a month ago and I'm OK with how this will present. Until then, I had somehow missed that a small retail space has now been included in the prime corner of the project, which I was told was in response to constructive neighborhood conversations.
Not ideal, but the project has taken steps toward interacting with the street in a more positive way. I believe this is the most recent rendering. It also looks like they plan on using some sort of artwork to distract from the first floor parking.

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

That does look better than what I remember.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah much better.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

For comparisons sake, this is the progression of the renderings:
1st Rendering:
2nd:
Most Recent:
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

yeah, but the new one has the streetcar in it, so it's automatically cooler.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Ah I saw a much older rendering very different and much worse unless I'm confusing with another project.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm okay with the most recent, and third, design. The appearance has evolved to a better end-result.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

...seems a waste at street level (except at the corner). All that at-grade parking under the building will hurt the pedestrian experience. It ain't ugly, but it is not great urbanism either.