Minimum Wage (Split from New Convention Hotel)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Minimum Wage (Split from New Convention Hotel)

Post by flyingember »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:There could also be a ripple up effect that might affect KCMO more with regards to jobs. Not only those at the minimum wage level will see the increase but also those that are between the federal minimum and the new city minimum. Those also affected could be those working $1 or so above the federal minimum. Will they also get a bump up to maintain the spread those jobs had over the federal minimum?
I would expect yes, but over time.

A rising minimum wage means more movement at the low end. If you make $10 today and you can't find anything better that will pay you that, then in a few years you can easily move jobs.

So the places that already pay more have pressure coming. Imagine someone that lives in midtown, works in OP at that wage, and can suddenly work a lot closer to home, maybe not need to replace their car at great expense.
Last edited by flyingember on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

And then there's this.

How far will your dollars stretch? Real value of $100 in each state is revealed and the difference could be as much as $30
In other states, such as Missouri and Ohio, you can get far more for your dollar as the cost of living tends to be cheaper, so residents can buy more for the same money.
http://tinyurl.com/pyzo64j

chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

harbinger911 wrote:[
Exactly.
KCMO gets an influx of low-skilled, low-educated workers while the suburbs get all of our businesses that move there.
This city will empty out in a decade. Much like now all that will be left are Govt and teaching jobs.
The only people living in KCMO will be illegals and basement-dwelling left-tard hipsters that post incessantly about "progreTHivism" and 2 chord bands.
Way to go liberals and KCMO, you've just put the last nail in the coffin you sheeple idiots.
I'm sure top economic experts all over the country are busy revising their nearly universal position on the real effects of minimum wage increases after that bit of salient socio-economic analysis.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

chingon wrote:
harbinger911 wrote:[
Exactly.
KCMO gets an influx of low-skilled, low-educated workers while the suburbs get all of our businesses that move there.
This city will empty out in a decade. Much like now all that will be left are Govt and teaching jobs.
The only people living in KCMO will be illegals and basement-dwelling left-tard hipsters that post incessantly about "progreTHivism" and 2 chord bands.
Way to go liberals and KCMO, you've just put the last nail in the coffin you sheeple idiots.
I'm sure top economic experts all over the country are busy revising their nearly universal position on the real effects of minimum wage increases after that bit of salient socio-economic analysis.
Didn't you know only a small cadre of business owners develop all aspects of the economy and city infrastructure and if we don't give them labor for pennies they'll abandon us and travel to their secret paradise 50 miles south where they'll live forever and drink Pepsi from water fountains and always have the newest, culturally relevant can-opener-egg-cracker-USB-port-and-sound-system their economy can build while Kansas City turns into Mad Max populated with dirty, gross, poor brown people who were too stupid and should have just accepted the gracious $7.25/h offered by their gloriously shiny and highly intelligent managers? It's too late though! You should have known and acknowledged the harbingers of sensational and FACTUAL rhetoric before this hour of reckoning came upon you! Why didn't you read more Ayn Rand? Why can't you see the objective writing on the walls you non-believers, you heathens, you libtards?!

:roll: :roll:
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

pash wrote:It's OK, you can program one of these guys to flip burgers. And he'll only cost you about one year's worth of minimum wages, so for years two through infinity, you've got a free burger-flipper!

Plus, now we'll finally get some self-checkout lanes at grocery and drug stores. No more waiting fifteen minutes for somebody to show up to take your money at CVS!
All hail the great abyss
northlander152
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by northlander152 »

I would be interested to know what the increase in the projected revenue from the 1% earnings tax will be due to this move.

Also, this may hurt some peoples earned income tax credit.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I think I saw 6% of people in KCMO make minimum wage
Theats approx 30,000 people

$1.25 x 2080 x 30000 x 1%
Is 780,000

Not much
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I would imagine a much greater number makes between minimum and $13.00, That's where you will see the greatest increase. It is honestly very difficult to get anyone to stay at a job for more than a few months at minimum wage, no matter how much it is.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

shinatoo wrote:I would imagine a much greater number makes between minimum and $13.00, That's where you will see the greatest increase. It is honestly very difficult to get anyone to stay at a job for more than a few months at minimum wage, no matter how much it is.
As someone who spent many frustrating years I'm the food service industry I can confirm the jobs are not worth the pay. And if you think those who work in that industry shouldn't earn a living wage because the economy or because they're a lesser caste...go fuck yourself and never eat at a restaurant again.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

JBmidtown wrote:As someone who spent many frustrating years I'm the food service industry I can confirm the jobs are not worth the pay. And if you think those who work in that industry shouldn't earn a living wage because the economy or because they're a lesser caste...go fuck yourself and never eat at a restaurant again.
Why'd you leave the food industry?
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

beautyfromashes wrote:
JBmidtown wrote:As someone who spent many frustrating years I'm the food service industry I can confirm the jobs are not worth the pay. And if you think those who work in that industry shouldn't earn a living wage because the economy or because they're a lesser caste...go fuck yourself and never eat at a restaurant again.
Why'd you leave the food industry?
It wasn't good for my complexion
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I don't really think everyone deserves a living wage. The living wage for a single parent of 3 in Jackson County is $30.90. Should anyone be able to work at Chipotle and make that? I don't think so. Does the minimum wage need to be increased? Yes, nationally.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

JBmidtown wrote:
shinatoo wrote:I would imagine a much greater number makes between minimum and $13.00, That's where you will see the greatest increase. It is honestly very difficult to get anyone to stay at a job for more than a few months at minimum wage, no matter how much it is.
As someone who spent many frustrating years I'm the food service industry I can confirm the jobs are not worth the pay. And if you think those who work in that industry shouldn't earn a living wage because the economy or because they're a lesser caste...go fuck yourself and never eat at a restaurant again.
If the job WAS worth the pay, then you would never have the motivation to advance your career outside of the food industry and graduate to bigger and better things. Some jobs aren't worth the pay FOR A REASON.

Plus, working isn't all about money. It's about SHOWING that you're WILLING and ABLE to work hard regardless of the pay. If you're able to do that, then your future employer will snatch you up in a heartbeat. Good, honest help is hard to find..and employers know that. You can't talk about minimum wage, or jobs in general, without mentioning firings and the reasons for such. Nobody wants to be forced to pay some joe schmoe slacker the same amount as amazing Erik. Your pay is relative to your performance..if not yet, then in time.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

It appears in some cities the local unions are looking for an exemption to higher minimum wages for the jobs they represent. They negotiate a compensation package for wages and benefits. So, say the minimum wage is $15 then a union job with a wage of $12 and $3 in benefits would be the same.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

So, if unions are negotiating to the same wage as the minimum wage, what's the point of joining a union?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:So, if unions are negotiating to the same wage as the minimum wage, what's the point of joining a union?
these will vary but they're all things a union could get. Unions formed over working conditions moreso than money.

Firings for cause with union representation, not just at will. Designated severance, required COL raises, not just what the company decides that time. Better protection from whistleblowing, ability to refuse to do certain work based on safety, demand for specific training. Specified hard to change hours and breaks (able to plan life around your schedule). Your role is defined to get overtime, not determined the moment you were hired. Your job stays your job with negotiation with the Union to change responsibilities, defined promotion paths. Defined bonuses have agreed upon requirements. No special treatment. Everyone in the same job with the same experience makes the same rate, there's less women vs men pay issues. Defined processes to report bad workers and get rid of them (good for management, good to not work with crummy workers)

I forget the name but recently watched a movie over women on strike at a factory. it was over pay but that was because they felt they were mis-classified as unskilled workers that got paid less. So the union allowed them to work as a group to get their classification and thus pay changed. I would assume the classification mattered in other situations there like vacation priority.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

^^^ Yes, but those are categorized as the $3 worth of extra benefits that were mentioned. It seems to me that people join unions in order to get something above what they could get on their own. Why aren't union leaders pushing for wages higher than the minimum and instead asking for exceptions?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:^^^ Yes, but those are categorized as the $3 worth of extra benefits that were mentioned. It seems to me that people join unions in order to get something above what they could get on their own. Why aren't union leaders pushing for wages higher than the minimum and instead asking for exceptions?
Strategic planning.

Maybe they feel they can get other benefits than just more money.

Obviously this is all hypothetical but maybe the union knows that they can employ 20% more people if they can ask for 15 minute longer paid breaks and not higher wages and that what would pass a union vote.

A union needs to be smart. They give higher productivity goals for raises, they get something with high intangible value like a longer break and not a profit impacting thing like more wages. Maybe joining the union means a higher chance for promotions because a deal made and that does pay better than non-union.

At that point it's up to them to determine if they're worth it. Maybe they're not when one's income isn't tied so closely to membership.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

flyingember wrote:At that point it's up to them to determine if they're worth it. Maybe they're not when one's income isn't tied so closely to membership.
And that's what I'm saying. I don't think with an increased wage to $15/hour that unions have as much value. I don't really think workers care about a longer break. Most Americans don't even use all of the allotted vacation every year. We want more pay and we want to know that if we do a great job, we will be promoted fasted than someone who does a lesser job, even if they've been their longer.