The KCMO School District

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: The KCMO School District

Post by kucer »

Green named MO Superintendent of the Year.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 78709.html

I know...I know....it doesn't mean sh*t.
tacitus
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by tacitus »

Stowers Foundation pledges $2 million toward Academie Lafayette-Southwest high school partnership
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 31503.html

Looks like Stowers and several other civic leaders are starting to dangle some carrots.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 37849.html

Bill Eddy is one of several civic leaders James Stowers III named in his letter to the Academie Lafayette school board who he said would be supporting the charter if it could launch its high school at Southwest.

Eddy, the former dean of the Bloch business school at the University of Missouri-Kansas City and a former Kansas City school board member, said “it has to do with territory and control.”

“There are groups in the community who historically have had a major stake in the Kansas City school district,” he said. “It is concerning to them to take students in a major school out of the normal control of the school district.”
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Looks like Dr. Green is leaving the district for a job in Georgia.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 22472.html
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Is there similar historical data? Because if you look at the MARC census maps it's clear there's been massive outflows of population from east of Troost.

Also, how does the population compare to the school age population? Roughly half white doesn't mean the kids in school are half white.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

How many half white kids are there?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

pash wrote:
chingon wrote:Agree with your larger point but probably worth noting that while KCMO might be 60% white, the portion of the city within the school district is majority black by a large margin. Most of that 30% black population lives in the KCMO school district, which is probably only about 200K people total. So the geography of the KCMO school district is probably in the neighborhood of 70% black.
The demographics of the KCPSD came up elsewhere and I found this site, which has data on all public school districts in the nation. The numbers are from the most recent five-year estimates of the Census Bureau's American Community Survey, aggregated over the census tracts within the boundaries of the Kansas City Public School District:

Code: Select all

Total population: 192,692
  Race:
    White only: 87,765 (46%)
    Black only: 80,627 (41%)
I'm not sure why people seem to think that the area covered by the KCPSD is majority black, much less black by a large majority, but now they can stop thinking it.
Interesting. I'm surprised.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

What will the statistics for the individual schools show?

How are the populations spread?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

" It shows a drop of 45,403 people for the census tracts covered by the KCPSD over that period, from 239,525 in 2000 to 194,122 in 2010. Yikes."

Look at the individual census tracks within the KCPSD and you might see quite a few differences concerning which tracts grew population and which ones lost population and where they are.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:" It shows a drop of 45,403 people for the census tracts covered by the KCPSD over that period, from 239,525 in 2000 to 194,122 in 2010. Yikes."

Look at the individual census tracks within the KCPSD and you might see quite a few differences concerning which tracts grew population and which ones lost population and where they are.
Keep in mind that not all the population loss in those census tracts are necessarily attributed to just families leaving the city. A large number of households in the central city have no children living in the home. Many are occupied by single adults that were formerly occupied by families in past decades. In addition, families today usually have fewer children than 40 years ago. When so many houses are filled with single people, the population will stagnant and decline.

Many houses in central neighborhoods of KCMO are now occupied by younger single people that have never been married, divorced people, unmarried couples, couples with no children in the home, and seniors. This includes larger old houses that are occupied by one or two people now, that might have had more individuals living there when a family occupied the dwelling. On my block alone, half the houses are occupied by single adults. This includes the large houses that might have three or four bedrooms. Many large homes are occupied by seniors and empty-nesters who raised families there.

Two of my neighbors are in their 80s, and live in large old family houses. They raised their families there, and their houses have been childless for almost 40 years. One is a widow that has lived in her three-bedroom house alone for 20 years, after her husband died. In probability, both these houses won't be available to other families until the current homeowners go into the nursing home, or die. Two of the other large houses on the block are inhabited by single adult children who moved into their parents' house at some point after they went into the nursing home, or died. Both singles living in these houses are middle-aged and childless.

You multiply this situation across numerous old KCMO neighborhoods and that certainly explains a lot of the population decline south of the river. Now, add to that the fact that most parents living in KCMO have one or two children, instead of four or five children like in the 60s and 70s, and that also accounts for some population decline. Another factor is that seniors are living longer than in past decades, so some houses are not turning over as quickly as in the past. If thousands of seniors owning larger houses live a decade longer than 50 years ago, then those houses don't become occupied by families with more occupants as soon as they might have in the past.

Another explanation is that senior adults can often remain in houses in older neighborhoods in KCMO longer than in the suburbs because once they no longer drive, they can still take the bus, or taxi, and remain in their home. This allows them to age-in-place longer in their former family home because they are less isolated, and trapped in their homes when they stop driving themselves.

There are older neighborhoods in the Northland that are starting to experience population declines as seniors occupy many of the houses in the subdivisions. Most of these houses are three-bedrooms. So a house that might have had four or five people living in them in the 1980s now have one or two people living in them.

Population drop in neighborhoods south of the river can be partially explained by these significant demographic changes.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Fang, I would not disagree with you, but 98% of why your comments are correct is directly related to the school district sucking so bad. I strongly feel the ONLY thing holding back more positive re-population of this area is the school district. If it had the reputation and test scores of Blue Valley SD, then this area would be hopping with kids and families. Most of these young singles/couples leave the neighborhood as soon as they have kids nearing school age. This cycle keeps repeating.

Sure, there will still be the geriatrics, but they eventually move on and are replaced with a remodeling project and increased investment in the house, and often a young family.

Fix the schools and the house values climb and more people will re-invest to make these their "forever house".

I, personally, would love to live in the KCSD area, but refuse to deal with the school issues. Fix the schools and me and many more like me move back to KCMO.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCMOSD needs to be dissolved and students distributed to the other districts within KCMO. How many districts are there in KCMO? Expand each into KCSD territory. Probably not as easy as it sounds but KCSD simply needs to go away, accept it can't be fixed.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

earthling wrote:KCSD needs to be dissolved and students distributed to the other districts within KCMO. How many districts are there, like 6 public in KCMO? Expand them into KCSD territory. Probably not as easy as it sounds but KCSD simply needs to go away, accept it can't be fixed.
I would go the other direction and break KCSD into 4 or 6 new smaller districts. It is too big. Make each new smaller district have one high school with feeder neighborhood grade schools. That way, being on the school board isn't some political thing, but a manageable volunteer job that can influence the quality of the particular neighborhood they care about and live in. This is how it used to be done.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I dunno, the mgmt is too incompetent and breaking it up will just keep tenured teachers who should be gone. I have no children (with no plans) so not in the loop on all of this, but I know some who work with KCSD and are absolutely astounded by the incompetence on all layers - like would not allow many in the system to even bag groceries, would put milk on top of bread. The whole structure needs to go away and start over from scratch or expand other districts into KCSD territory and re-hire teachers from scratch (who actually qualify).
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Sure...I am all for starting from scratch. If you make applesauce from rotten apples, you get.....rotten applesauce.
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

AlbertHammond wrote:Fang, I would not disagree with you, but 98% of why your comments are correct is directly related to the school district sucking so bad. I strongly feel the ONLY thing holding back more positive re-population of this area is the school district. If it had the reputation and test scores of Blue Valley SD, then this area would be hopping with kids and families.
SMSD has high test scores yet it's still losing population, Blue Valley will have the same issues with population loss in 20 years and it has already closed many elementary schools in the Northern parts of the district