Whole Foods mixed-use project @ 51/Oak

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Whole Foods mixed-use project @ 51/Oak

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Well so much for that theory.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i'm told last update was they were working on an easement -- required since they will be using part of the CCROW. they were also very closely watching placement of the streetcar stop, as the current proposal is simply "in the vicinity of UMKC".
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

any updates on this?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow wrote:any updates on this?
last i heard they were still negotiating the CCROW easement.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

They should just build a fence around however much CCROW land they want and call it theirs.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

I can't believe this still hasn't happened. Lame.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The Jan 28th Parks Board meeting approved the transfer of a ground lease from UMKC to the Van Trust People. I 'd imagine this is only for the portion where the existing UMKC building is and not the new CCROW crossing they had initially proposed. So this make me assume Van Trust is planning to move ahead in some fashion with or without a new CCROW crossing.

http://www.kcata.org/documents/uploads/Actions0115.pdf
Last edited by kboish on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

from the jan. 28 KCATA board of commissioners meeting:
Tri-Party Agreement Among 51st and Oak LLC (Van Trust), the University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC) and KCATA concerning the 51st and Brookside Ground Lease. – D. Jarrold

The Board of Commissioners authorized the execution of a tri-party agreement among KCATA, UMKC and Van Trust concerning the potential transfer of the Brookside Ground Lease to UMKC.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

if you look at the parcel layout the UMKC building is entirely within university land. that land is owned by the university so there's no need for a lease with the parks dept. this looks like it's the KCATA moving the lease for land they own from parks to the university.

need way more details than the minutes to be certain
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

There's hasn't been much movement in such a long time, I would think WF has forgotten about this and has moved on. Is WF still actively engaged in this?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

kboish wrote:

The Jan 28th Parks Board meeting approved the transfer of a ground lease from UMKC to the Van Trust People. I 'd imagine this is only for the portion where the existing UMKC building is and not the new CCROW crossing they had initially proposed. So this make me assume Van Trust is planning to move ahead in some fashion with or without a new CCROW crossing.

I read that part backwards... but the inclusion of the Van Trust people still makes me assume they are working towards a resolution to get this built.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

if I had to guess I would bet they're doing exactly like what's across the street. they kcata owns the land, the development gets to use part of the row but not cross the trail. it's nothing new for the kcata on the corridor. there's three other parking lots within a block that don't connect straight to Brookside Blvd
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Is anyone else starting to hate the Trolley Track Trail? This is the second development that it's supporters have slowed down. I wish they had never set it up.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:Is anyone else starting to hate the Trolley Track Trail? This is the second development that it's supporters have slowed down. I wish they had never set it up.
nope. almost wish I lived next to it
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Developer making progress on proposed Whole Foods store near UMKC
After nearly six years of planning and negotiations, and at least 15 community meetings, a Whole Foods Market near the University of Missouri-Kansas City campus has a proposed opening date: late 2017.

The 40,000-square-foot store would anchor a new development at 51st Street between Brookside Boulevard and Oak Street. Developer VanTrust Real Estate LLC also plans 170 apartments on four and five levels above the store, and 10,720 square feet of office space.

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Finally the end may be in sight...in 2 and a half more years! I understand addressing neighborhood concerns and increased traffic projections, but how many on-street parking spaces were in danger of being lost at the expense of covered parking? And how long does it take negotiate the addition of trees? Just needing to vent my frustration since this will end up taking longer to build than IKEA.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

someone recently told me about a conversation they had with a european transplant: "community meetings to build a grocery store?"

welcome to america!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote:Finally the end may be in sight...in 2 and a half more years! I understand addressing neighborhood concerns and increased traffic projections, but how many on-street parking spaces were in danger of being lost at the expense of covered parking? And how long does it take negotiate the addition of trees? Just needing to vent my frustration since this will end up taking longer to build than IKEA.
the block could fit 20 cars on both sides. if the city enforced all the parking laws about distance to intersections, stop signs, hydrants and such 17-18 today. call it 7 with real world parking

so it's going from 17 to 13 spots
Last edited by flyingember on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

someone recently told me about a conversation they had with a european transplant: "community meetings to build a grocery store?"

welcome to america!
No kidding - this process has been insane.

On the other hand, Whole Foods/Van Trust could have built in a million other places throughout the urban core and not only dealt with much less red tape, but likely could have been incentivized and welcomed with open arms. I.E. almost anywhere midtown/downtown.