OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by chaglang »

mykn wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:Wonder if 96.5, the pitch or anyone will pick up on this and give it a bad rap. That would be funny if she lost all that money in this business venture
Just curious, why would Pitch or anyone else purposely give it a bad rap? I would assume 96.5 will stay far away from this.
Because the Pitch hates everything. If I had to guess.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

flyingember wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:Wonder if 96.5, the pitch or anyone will pick up on this and give it a bad rap. That would be funny if she lost all that money in this business venture
they're not doing haircuts or coloring. I'm not style expert but wouldn't that eliminate 99% of men and most women from the place?
Men likely won't even be a target. This will be more like a pre-party place. Come in with your girlfriends and get your hair blown out by a pro, some makeup, etc....drink and talk about how everyone looks amazing...then go out.

My sis in law will bring a gal into her house to do this with her friends before a big night out. They eat that ish up. Not sure this place will be successful when you can easily bring someone into your own home though.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

kucer wrote: Men likely won't even be a target.
Don't knock it til you try it.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

fine article, incorrect/misleading title.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

it looks like they're supporting open table, if you want to make a reservation:

http://www.opentable.com/restaurant/profile/165970
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

FWIW
@angraor
@RockhillStrat @ScottKCMO @Yeslikedavis IIRC, the place where Yardhouse went was slated for sporting goods store at P&L originally.
@RockhillStrat
@angraor @ScottKCMO @Yeslikedavis Actually a bookstore originally. Sporting goods was considered as well.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Years ago! Prior to the recession.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Yeah, I'm happy to see the retail block largely leased at this point, and actually feel like the new Visit KC space is a creative and positive move (beautiful space!), but at some point we've got to get at least a small amount of retail density downtown.

This is a topic for a dedicated post, but I have been very frustrated with the lack of concentration of small retailers in KC - not good for a vibrant city, and practically a death sentence for many small retailers in DT, Crossroads and beyond. I'm thinking places like Houndstooth, Fable, Kultured Kameleon, Method, Volume 1, etc.

How great would it be if these places could concentrate in a relatively small area and market themselves together? Sort of the idea of the Garment District in P&L, but done well and with individual storefronts.

Would have been interesting indeed if the P&L retail block had taken that approach, or if the area around 18th/Wyandotte and Film Row could expand in such a way.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

downtown council needs to pick one or two non-P&L stretches that are already built for retail (say, west 8th or 9th) and focus on getting them occupied and active. encourage the law firms to move upstairs and offer the space for retail incubators, if necessary (which is what KCK is doing).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

At some point downtown council needs to start planning a pedestrian only street and target retail for that stretch. Should be near or cross the streetcar line.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

earthling wrote:At some point downtown council needs to start planning a pedestrian only street and target retail for that stretch. Should be near or cross the streetcar line.
Midtown along Main. Would love to re-do Midtown Marketplace.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:At some point downtown council needs to start planning a pedestrian only street and target retail for that stretch. Should be near or cross the streetcar line.
i have suggested to the downtown council that they focus on a small stretch, perhaps two small stretches, and incubate retail there and move all non-retail uses up or out. my suggestions would be main street from 14th to 9th (there is clear demand for retailers to be on the streetcar route), then 9th from main to quality hill (which has a somewhat decent building wall conducive to retail and some vacant lots that could easily be mixed use new construction).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

If the entire Main corridor was a nice place to walk it benefits all the side streets and it's largely two blocks away where the surface lots begin. I walked 11th from Wyandotte to Main yesterday and I had forgotten how bad a shape it's in compared to east of Main.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

https://www.facebook.com/UrbanaKC

A new "street scene" event will be happening every wednesday throughout the summer in PnL. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but apparently they will be closing the street to cars and have events. Sounds like a good idea at least. DT is starting to have nightly events throughout the summer and giving it more street vibrancy (Barney Allis Plaza has lawn games on Thursdays).
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

kboish wrote:https://www.facebook.com/UrbanaKC

A new "street scene" event will be happening every wednesday throughout the summer in PnL. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but apparently they will be closing the street to cars and have events. Sounds like a good idea at least. DT is starting to have nightly events throughout the summer and giving it more street vibrancy (Barney Allis Plaza has lawn games on Thursdays).
I've been following this and hope to attend, but it's strange how little info there is about it.