new vinyl?

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: new vinyl?

Post by bbqboy »

How can I contact the Stan guy?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I'm wary about posting the number I have on the site, as I believe it is his personal number.  I will be happy to pm you.
driver 8
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by driver 8 »

http://store.acousticsounds.com/store.cfm

Acoustic Sounds in Salina, KS has a huge selection of new vinyl online.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: new (& used) vinyl?

Post by DaveKCMO »

resurrecting this thread. my go-to list:

- mills record company (new and used)
- 7th heaven (new and used)
- vinyl renaissance (new and used)
- the two spots hidden inside west bottoms thrift stores (used)
- half price books (new and used)

i've never been to records with merritt or zebedees, but plan on rectifying that soon. props to all of the above except HPB and one of the west bottoms spots that clean their used records before selling them.

of course, nothing beats ebay (used) and amazon (new/used) for selection, but pricing & shipping sometimes make digging locally a better option. even overstock.com is selling some new titles.

on a sidenote, it's really bizarre seeing new vinyl at urban outfitters and best buy.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Last edited by chingon on Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

DaveKCMO wrote: i've never been to records with merritt or zebedees, but plan on rectifying that soon.
Both great. Zebedees feels like what I imagined when I read High Fidelity. Merritt is like a breath of fresh air. Record people are all too often like bike shop people. Which is to say, insufferably bores.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Don't forget Prospero's on 39th. I don't know if their new space on Broadway has records, but I have found many interesting titles downstairs at the 39th street location.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i occasionally find stuff i want at zebedee's, but for used records the KC stores are all pretty grueling, IMO. love garden in lawrence is, to my ears, more than a few notches above all the KC spots.

and yeah, obv. online is great, esp. if youre looking for a specific record. ebay is okay but i have the most luck on discogs.com, store/distro list-servs (i.e. fusetron, permanent records, forced exposure) or record-geek forums like waxidermy.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

chrizow wrote:i occasionally find stuff i want at zebedee's, but for used records the KC stores are all pretty grueling, IMO. love garden in lawrence is, to my ears, more than a few notches above all the KC spots.

and yeah, obv. online is great, esp. if youre looking for a specific record. ebay is okay but i have the most luck on discogs.com, store/distro list-servs (i.e. fusetron, permanent records, forced exposure) or record-geek forums like waxidermy.
Discogs is pretty great. It feels like the electronic version of a Becket catalogue (if you ever traded baseball cards), and there are apps that make it pretty easy to scan your collection onto your account. I use this to remember if I already have something when I'm at the store.

I agree that Love Garden is still head and shoulders above all other options, but I am more and more impressed each time I visit Mills. The owner is pretty fantastic and will bend over backwards to get you what you want. She has made it a point to remember people that come into the store, and it really makes a difference. It is a difficult balance at a record store to find the right mix of "are you looking for something in particular" and "I'm going leave you the f alone to thumb through records."
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

What, would you say, is the average price of a new LP in a Kansas City record store?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:What, would you say, is the average price of a new LP in a Kansas City record store?
brand new albums range from $15-$35, depending on the title and whether it was remastered or specially packaged. i just paid $23 for a newly-remastered copy of cocteau twins' heaven or las vegas at records with merritt. by contrast, i paid $6 for a still-sealed original pressing of heaven 17's how men are at prospero's books.

you can find some new titles on amazon for under $15.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i love the renewed interest in vinyl, but it his hilarious to me to go to urban outfitters and see folks plunking down $25 for a 180g new copy of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" when you can get a cool used copy in great condition at any record store for $1-5. (and the OG pressings are often better than the new ones - the 180g aspect of it doesn't mean anything at all in terms of fidelity).

i do like Mills more now that they have a pretty decent used section, and it's priced fairly.

the record sellers in the west bottoms antique/flea markets are kinda the worst. i literally cannot pass by any quantity of records, anywhere, without thumbing through it (because you never know!), but those sellers are offering beat-to-shit $0.25 records priced at $8+. (i am sure diggers cleaned them out of legit records within 24 hrs of the places going up)

i am curious to check out the refreshed 7th Heaven shop, have not been there yet.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

OMG discogs. why did you do this to me?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

New vinyl store from Dallas opening in Xroads. Is their first expansion outside Dallas...

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... ansas-city
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

a welcome development. i have heard good things about josey records. KC's extant record stores leave something to be desired, imo.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

I enjoyed CityScene's article on Revolution and Josey Records this week.

https://cityscenekc.com/east-crossroads ... -together/

and Promise Clutter (the manager at Revolution) has to be one of the cooler names I've heard.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I was recently at Dillard's. They're selling new vinyl and a bunch of shitty suitcase players. I suspect it's holiday hangover and you'll never see that again. Maybe I'm wrong.

Dillard's!

I continue to spend most of my time at Josey (selection) and thrift stores (prices/oddities). Interesting to note that both Josey and Revolution have expanded their collections to CDs, cassettes, 8-tracks, VHS, DVDs, and vintage equipment. Mills and Merritt are still mostly focused on vinyl.

If you weren't aware, Sister Anne is a new record/coffee shop at 31st & Campbell -- small, but well curated. Worth checking out! https://sisterannes.com/

And my all-time favorite -- but too far away for frequent visits -- is Gotwhatulike: https://www.facebook.com/GotWhatULikeRecords/
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Isn't there a newish one across from Rudy's on Westport Rd? I haven't been in that one yet.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WSPanic wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:10 am Isn't there a newish one across from Rudy's on Westport Rd? I haven't been in that one yet.
That's Records with Merritt.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Alright! There was a four-year lull on this topic. Let’s get this thread happening again. Any interest in selling/buying via kcrag? Used Vinyls will be new to you, at least 😎