Gay marriage

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gay marriage

Post by KCMax »

The 10th Circuit has denied the request to stay the decision by a US District court to overturn the gay marriage ban in Kansas. So on Wednesday in Kansas, unless the Supreme Court of the US steps in, you can get a same-sex marriage.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

A Missouri gay meets a Kansas gay and they get engaged. Where do they marry? :D
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Sounds like where ever they want. Pretty soon at least.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Call me a bigot, but I cannot support bi-state marriage. A person should stay within their own state population to marry, just as God intended.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I can't support people marrying outside their immediate families. Next thing you know, folks will be marrying unicorns!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

AllThingsKC wrote:Call me a bigot, but I cannot support bi-state marriage. A person should stay within their own state population to marry, just as God intended.
Last edited by earthling on Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

You might have read beyond "call me a bigot, but I cannot support" there.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Actually, I missed the bi-state part - kinda changes the context a bit much.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

FangKC wrote:A Missouri gay meets a Kansas gay and they get engaged. Where do they marry? :D
Which ever state offers more tax incentives!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i got gay married in jackson county a few weeks ago by a kansas judge. did anyone's straight marriage end on april 24? if so, my apologies.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote:i got gay married in jackson county a few weeks ago by a kansas judge. did anyone's straight marriage end on april 24? if so, my apologies.
Congrats!
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Thanks for checking in with the American Taliban perspective there, timewarp!

Enjoy the death throws of your cultural dinosaur-hood.

Also, SPOILER ALERT:

God didn't invent marriage. And while I'm raining on your fantasy parade/charade, Mikey, Santa Claus is a FUCKING LIE!
ULCajun
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ULCajun »

I know we are in the midwest, but sheesh, i thought harbinger was trolling.
People still exist that thing this way? Me and my boyfriend have had no problems in the city, but i'm actually concerned about going outside the city together.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

ULCajun wrote:I know we are in the midwest, but sheesh, i thought harbinger was trolling.
People still exist that thing this way? Me and my boyfriend have had no problems in the city, but i'm actually concerned about going outside the city together.
You really think someone like Harbinger has the stones to actually confront someone in person? I wouldn't worry about it. Coward trolls are the most common thing on the internet these days.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The culture wars are everywhere in US, including San Fran and NYC. With more and more people becoming non/less religious or less bible literal, some who are are getting louder and are the ones politicizing religion. They are called dominionists and theocrats - the GOP should just rename themselves as such. Fortunately they are not the future. They are louder but the obnoxious in your face evangelicals are shrinking with each generation, which just gets them more riled up.

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2015/05/P ... RLS-01.png
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Marriage is just a word and many define it in different ways. Mainly it is a contract and our society has defined that contract as being between only two people, of different sexes, and a person can only be in one type of this contract at a time. Above it is mentioned instead of allowing gay marriage just have civil unions. Well, that was tried a few years ago and probably many in the gay community would have settled for that. However a large number of people were against the thought of civil unions. So why not go for it all.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Marriage is just a word and many define it in different ways. Mainly it is a contract and our society has defined that contract as being between only two people, of different sexes, and a person can only be in one type of this contract at a time. Above it is mentioned instead of allowing gay marriage just have civil unions. Well, that was tried a few years ago and probably many in the gay community would have settled for that. However a large number of people were against the thought of civil unions. So why not go for it all.
Just a big ol' load of crap. If this were to be followed, blacks and whites couldn't get married. You and Harbinger seem to think this "separate but equal" thing can really work. Ever read a history book?

Moreover - YOUR RELIGION may have defined marriage that way, but "society" hasn't done shit.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

You misunderstood the post. Thought my first sentence would give away my stance. Then the final sentence.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Well traditionalists get caught up in a certain culture in a certain era and fight to keep it static. Humanity has been around eons longer than concept of marriage. Marriage is a human invention and human inventions evolve over time. They may evolve based on majority view and right now the majority view on this subject in the US has changed in just a decade. That freaks out the traditionalists (and dogma literalists in this case) and so they are trying to politicize the definition.

IMO, marriage is a personal contract that shouldn't be recognized by govt to begin with, and certainly not defined by govt.