Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by loftguy »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:If New Peking isn't suitably re-housed I will stop by to shit on the doorstep of this building everyday for the rest of my days.

Is New Peking that good? Or, do you just like to leave a mark on things?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Best Chinese in the RCP corridor. Been there for decades too. Run by nice folks. Has a substantial authentic menu attached to the back end of the chinese-american section; you dont even have to ask for it. That whole shopping center has turned over god only knows how many times but NP has soldiered on throughout. Serves a very diverse customer base well.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I was hoping when NP was only tenant left in stripmall, that it would be torn down for a true urban development. I suppose there still could be a chance someday. I wonder how long leases are for the current tenants.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

the land is owned by 5700 Holdings
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

flyingember wrote:the land is owned by 5700 Holdings
Which seems to be tied to Henzlik-Oliver Real Estate - a company out of OPKS which deals in commercial/retail property sales and leasing, not residential or mixed used development. That doesn't seem to bode well for the likelihood of this happening. I would guess this is just a concept.

I would love to see something like this built. I think Westport needs more residential within the core of the district.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

This opportunity will be an epic FAIL if they do not re-vision Mill Street to make it look and feel more like Pennsylvania a block away. Dump the wide lanes and center turn lane, add on-street parking on the east side of the street and make the streetscape mimic the other district streets with brick pavers and trees. Mill Street is currently a car sewer that sucks life out of this part of Westport.

Now that the Boston Market building is vacant again, build it into this project!

...and I take to my grave that Mill Street to the south of Westport Road needs to connect to Washington (which curves into Broadway) and become an awesome pedestrian connector between the Plaza and Westport.

...and what is that stupid horseshoe on the corner? That corner needs a vertical anchoring building, not this spacious plaza nonsense.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

AlbertHammond wrote: ...and what is that stupid horseshoe on the corner? That corner needs a vertical anchoring building, not this spacious plaza nonsense.
That looks like an entrance to the subway station to me. :lol:
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AlbertHammond wrote:This opportunity will be an epic FAIL if they do not re-vision Mill Street to make it look and feel more like Pennsylvania a block away. Dump the wide lanes and center turn lane, add on-street parking on the east side of the street and make the streetscape mimic the other district streets with brick pavers and trees. Mill Street is currently a car sewer that sucks life out of this part of Westport.

Now that the Boston Market building is vacant again, build it into this project!

...and I take to my grave that Mill Street to the south of Westport Road needs to connect to Washington (which curves into Broadway) and become an awesome pedestrian connector between the Plaza and Westport.

...and what is that stupid horseshoe on the corner? That corner needs a vertical anchoring building, not this spacious plaza nonsense.
=D> =D> =D>
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

AlbertHammond wrote:This opportunity will be an epic FAIL if they do not re-vision Mill Street to make it look and feel more like Pennsylvania a block away. Dump the wide lanes and center turn lane, add on-street parking on the east side of the street and make the streetscape mimic the other district streets with brick pavers and trees. Mill Street is currently a car sewer that sucks life out of this part of Westport.
FYI: I just went out and measured Mill Street in front of New Peking and it is 47' wide, curb face to curb face!!!
That is over 15' for each of the three lanes. In the winter, you can see the snow patterns that make it obvious that the lanes are crazy too wide.

Pennsylvania St in front of Harpos is 33' wide with parking.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

WSPanic wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:A little competition for Murray's? They better get off their ass and finally start accepting credit cards instead of cash or checks only. That's seriously a reason I don't go there as often. And why are they closed on Mondays? Excited to try Andys!
I think Murray's is closed on Mon and Tue, aren't they? It's nice they are open on Sundays, I suppose. They must make enough money being open 10 months a year and 5 days a week. I've never really understood it either. Maybe this new place will give them some incentive to do more. I think Andy's will have more of an impact on Miami Ice then Murray's.

Walked down to Murray's after dinner last night - they are actually closed Mon, Tue and Wed now. Disappointing.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

A Glace/Christopher Elbow store would do great in Westport.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Murry's needs a more visible location.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

kcjak wrote:Murry's needs a more visible location.
They just need to stay open and take credit cards. They'd double their business.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Murray's is obviously satisfied with their business as it is. Some business owners like to have days off. Murray's ice cream is so perfet as it is I don't want to see anything that could change that.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Never been a fan. Don't care for the ice cream. Ridiculously inneficient counter operation (did they hire OK joes as consultants?). And cash only. Three strikes so I am walking to Miami Ice instead.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:Never been a fan. Don't care for the ice cream. Ridiculously inneficient counter operation (did they hire OK joes as consultants?). And cash only. Three strikes so I am walking to Miami Ice instead.
Agreed on all counts.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

lock+load wrote:Murray's is obviously satisfied with their business as it is. Some business owners like to have days off.
That will usually never last though. The building owner will be able to get higher rent from someone who wants to make money and push them out. If you're wanting to take half the time off, sell the place.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

beautyfromashes wrote:
lock+load wrote:Murray's is obviously satisfied with their business as it is. Some business owners like to have days off.
That will usually never last though. The building owner will be able to get higher rent from someone who wants to make money and push them out. If you're wanting to take half the time off, sell the place.

Building owner has a steady tenant of many years. Even though it's not good for the neighboring businesses, they probably don't care how often/long Murray's is open, as long as they keep the checks coming in.

What this really signals, is the opportunity for someone else, to do it better and more often.

Competition anyone?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:Never been a fan. Don't care for the ice cream. Ridiculously inneficient counter operation (did they hire OK joes as consultants?). And cash only. Three strikes so I am walking to Miami Ice instead.

If Miami Ice sold Chocolate Flake Fromage and Malt Bodine, I'd be right with you. But, I'm a slave to those flavors. I'll keep taking my beating at Murray's (Thur-Sun during the spring and summer only).
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I have only been to Miami Lice once. Comparing them to Murray's is like comparing Coors Light to Blvd. Pale Ale.