Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Post by KCMax »

Longboards Wraps coming to Mission Mart

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... n-location
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Nice article, some of the commenters seem awfully familiar. :shock:
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Yes only 2 new places so far because every other places has locations in metro.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Keystone redevelopment back on and Gateway Developer has to speak at next city council meeting.
winB
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by winB »

The owner of the nearby donut store on Johnson Drive told me he hears Wal-Mart is leaning toward pulling out with the idea of anchoring the redevelopment at 95th and Metcalf. Just a rumor I know but it's something the small business owners in that area are talking about.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

winB wrote:The owner of the nearby donut store on Johnson Drive told me he hears Wal-Mart is leaning toward pulling out with the idea of anchoring the redevelopment at 95th and Metcalf. Just a rumor I know but it's something the small business owners in that area are talking about.
Of course. Can't wait until the NIMBYs raise hell over a Walmart there...
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Maybe they can put it where the Kmart used to be.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Would mean the 2 Neighborhood Markets would close meaning 2 more empty grocery stores to fill because already have 2 empty former Hy-Vee's and yes the one at 91st street still has a for sale sign. Also close the one at 75th street and turn it into a Shopko and one at 119th Street snd Metcalf into Lowe's ir Menards or Mejier or Florida type store.
http://www.franknewmancommercial.com/cu ... abeled.pdf Sears is among missing.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

This will be depressing because of what "might have been" (and apologies if this was posted previously):

http://www.arnoldimaging.com/the-gateway/

Nice little video. Extremely pie-in-the-sky, as we all know too well now.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

This is in WEST Gateway, just east of Metcalf.

Natural Grocers, four new restaurants ready to build in Johnson Drive Cornerstone Commons project
Natural Grocers is still the main tenant in the project that takes up just under three acres where the former Keystone auto dealership was located. The proposal has three buildings and will include four fast casual restaurants in addition to the grocery store. Two restaurants will be in each of the smaller buildings.
Already a ton of restaurants in the area, but there are a lot of office workers around there. Good to see Natural Grocers fill the void that Wild Oats left a few years ago.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

http://pvpost.com/2014/06/05/gateway-de ... deal-28360 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... in_Houston Academy Sports and Outdoors and Stage Also the 2 other Large Tenants.are making their Decisions this month. Wal-mart is committed to it and Sprouts wants to expand.

Also got to know who the 4 Fast Casual paces are.
sbrundel
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by sbrundel »

Did everyone see this? Gets more ridiculous everyday.

http://pvpost.com/2014/06/21/syracuse-u ... lays-28810
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

sbrundel wrote:Did everyone see this? Gets more ridiculous everyday.

http://pvpost.com/2014/06/21/syracuse-u ... lays-28810
This guy doesn't seem to be able to deliver. I see the project being cancelled, and Walmart eventually will be the sole tenant under a different developer (that is, if they just don't pull up stakes from the area entirely and build at Metcalf South). Sigh.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Developer owns the property.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

mistervinix wrote:
This guy doesn't seem to be able to deliver. I see the project being cancelled, and Walmart eventually will be the sole tenant under a different developer (that is, if they just don't pull up stakes from the area entirely and build at Metcalf South). Sigh.
Walmart will not leave the NE JoCo market. 95th & Metcalf is in a different catchment area.
In my opinion, the current RP location is pretty good. RP needs to tune up that part of Roe and Walmart needs to renovate the site and building. That might be a good use of a retail sales tax to allow Walmart to tax shoppers to help them improve the grounds.

I have always felt the best way to repel white Midwest shoppers is to make all aisle and store signage bilingual. Nothing tells a white Midwesterner "I am in a bad part of town" like Spanish/English signs. Are you seriously telling me that ESL shoppers really need this nugget of spanish signage when all products and pricing is labeled in english? The neighboring Lowes is also guilty of this.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AlbertHammond wrote:
mistervinix wrote:
Walmart will not leave the NE JoCo market. 95th & Metcalf is in a different catchment area.
In my opinion, the current RP location is pretty good. RP needs to tune up that part of Roe and Walmart needs to renovate the site and building. That might be a good use of a retail sales tax to allow Walmart to tax shoppers to help them improve the grounds.

I have always felt the best way to repel white Midwest shoppers is to make all aisle and store signage bilingual. Nothing tells a white Midwesterner "I am in a bad part of town" like Spanish/English signs. Are you seriously telling me that ESL shoppers really need this nugget of spanish signage when all products and pricing is labeled in english? The neighboring Lowes is also guilty of this.
They did just renovate the interior of the Wal Mart, but I agree, the site itself could probably use a touch-up. And of course, the taxpayers will foot the bill.

I don't think the Spanish has any bearing on repelling or attracting white Midwest shoppers. And its not a bad part of town by any stretch of the imagination.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

AlbertHammond wrote:In my opinion, the current RP location is pretty good. RP needs to tune up that part of Roe and Walmart needs to renovate the site and building. That might be a good use of a retail sales tax to allow Walmart to tax shoppers to help them improve the grounds.
Walmart would likely need more land than is currently available to replace the RP store. If they could use the space where the CVS is next door, then maybe. I think they've made it clear, though, that they want to relocate the store. Hell, with all the traffic the IKEA will generate in Merriam, maybe they'd level a nearby hillside there to build a new store (or take the old K-mart/Sears building site on Shawnee Mission Parkway).
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

KCMax wrote:
They did just renovate the interior of the Wal Mart, but I agree, the site itself could probably use a touch-up. And of course, the taxpayers will foot the bill.

I don't think the Spanish has any bearing on repelling or attracting white Midwest shoppers. And its not a bad part of town by any stretch of the imagination.
That Walmart was recently renovated? Wow...I was just in there last week and it felt shabby in there.

I know that when I travel in the Midwest and I see two-language signs in a store, I feel like I need to be more aware of my surroundings and step up my mental security level. It is totally an indicator for me that I am in a neighborhood with economic problems. it may not set off your warning lights, but I guarantee it does for the typical person. Too many RP residents choose to go to other Walmarts than this one because it simply scares them. Walmart doesn't care, but RP sure as hell should care.