Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Post by flyingember »

SWFan wrote:Just got an email from our HOA management company stating that Google Fiber reps were going to be present at our March HOA board meeting to answer questions about the service. Not sure I'll be going to that board meeting since they will probably only be answering questions about the cost and service tiers. I doubt they'll give any rollout date information.

Some of my neighbors that had utilities marked in the last month have reported active digging/routing of fiber, so with this March meeting I'm guessing we're a sure bet for having active service by year's end.

We've yet to have any utilities marked on my particular street, nor any of the streets within a couple blocks of our house.
not exactly.

this meeting would also be about the prequal process. unless they changed their mind for the suburbs you need to get the neighborhood to sign up in sufficient numbers to be approved and they'll install in order of the percentage response.
http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/201 ... ansas.html

what they're doing right now is the conduit install they need for their huts. they'll only run the actual fiber once their boxes are in place and they have a place to terminate it.

here's a permit for a job near me. if you click on google you'll get a whole list of permits, the newest are at the bottom
http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... 6&jur=KCMO
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

flyingember wrote:not exactly.

this meeting would also be about the prequal process. unless they changed their mind for the suburbs you need to get the neighborhood to sign up in sufficient numbers to be approved and they'll install in order of the percentage response.
http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/201 ... ansas.html

what they're doing right now is the conduit install they need for their huts. they'll only run the actual fiber once their boxes are in place and they have a place to terminate it.

here's a permit for a job near me. if you click on google you'll get a whole list of permits, the newest are at the bottom
http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... 6&jur=KCMO
I believe this, based on where they are digging in our neighborhoods it does seem more like its just laying conduit.

However, I don't know why our HOA would tell us they are coming to the meeting to answer questions versus telling us to show up because its for the prequalification process. Guarantee if its the second option, most of the neighborhood would show up. As it is now, lots of people will likely just skip the meeting.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

Saw a TV commercial last night for Google Fiber listing new parts of KC getting Google Fiber and at the end of the commercial it said signups begin March 11. In the ad it included Kansas City North and Gladstone. So I'm assuming I'll be able to pre-signup sometime on March 11th or thereafter since I'm in KC North.

Our HOA sent out a notice that enough residents in our neighborhood had registered for the March 12th board meeting that they are moving it from the Shoal Creek police station over to the Shoal Creek golf course.
mailman641
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mailman641 »

http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/201 ... p-for.html

New on the fiber blog: This afternoon the signup starts for KC north/south, Grandview and Raytown
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mailman641 wrote:http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/201 ... p-for.html

New on the fiber blog: This afternoon the signup starts for KC north/south, Grandview and Raytown
and all the fiberhoods that didn't qualify last time. this includes Quality Hill
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

Well, I went to the sign up page just now and put in my address and it still says not available. Anyone in the Northland able to sign up yet?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

SWFan wrote:Well, I went to the sign up page just now and put in my address and it still says not available. Anyone in the Northland able to sign up yet?
it's not up until this afternoon per the Star, the google fiber blog and the post two above yours
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

the maps are up.

South of the river the new area is confusing at best but it follows established neighborhoods basically.
Northwest is Staley and the older areas north of 152 and then west of 169.
Northeast is everything else in KCMO north of the river

JoCo is coming in 2014, you can see how they will wrap around OP. Part of Lee's Summit in 2015, basically the organized residential areas.

The existing neighborhoods that didn't get in last time have another chance.

edit: and as I wrote this, they went live
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

google must be loading apartment complexes into the system that prequaled as a whole because the second fiberhood met their goal in the first 15 minutes and I reloaded and the second one went from 50+ to finished in a matter of seconds
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

So this may be a dumb question, but they're installing their boxes and conduit in all neighborhoods, or only ones that qualify (Or have qualified)? Reason being they are clearly installing in my neighborhood, but it hasn't met its goal to qualify.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

im2kull wrote:So this may be a dumb question, but they're installing their boxes and conduit in all neighborhoods, or only ones that qualify (Or have qualified)? Reason being they are clearly installing in my neighborhood, but it hasn't met its goal to qualify.
I'm still not quite sure, but I don't get the impression Google is putting most of the new cities through the same "qualification" scenario that the KCs went through. I think Google is pretty confident headed into some of these suburban territories. So far, I have not spoken with one aquaintance who qualified for Google Fiber and did not get at least the high speed internet.

I did, however, speak with someone in Raytown who said U-Verse is now offering a pretty great package. It is something like 250 mbps, whole house DVR, and a lot of premium channels for under $150. I don't know much about TWC and Comcast, but they appear to be glacially slow in reaction to/anticipation of competition with GF.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Daughter lives in Grandview. Already laying cable around her and should be down her street soon.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

bobbyhawks wrote: I don't know much about TWC and Comcast, but they appear to be glacially slow in reaction to/anticipation of competition with GF.
Time Warner isn't bothering so far other than to implement contracts with gift cards if you sign one
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Daughter lives in Grandview. Already laying cable around her and should be down her street soon.
Giggidy.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Post by davidc »

The latest rally deadlines:
10 Apr 2014 for South KC
15 May 2014 for NW KC
19 Jun 2014 for NE KC
unknown 2014 Johnson County (excluding Overland Park)
unknown 2015 Lee's Summit
sometime after everyone else Overland Park
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

A few odd oversights apart from the obvious one of the Overland Park feud: Parkville/Riverside, NKC, Liberty, Independence, Blue Springs. Is there any talk of expansion to those areas or are they going to be left in the dark ages?

I'm moving next month and my new house is 1 block outside of Google Fiber's current expansion boundaries. That is agonizing. Glad I didn't burn any bridges with TWC! :(
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The OP thing doesn't seem to be a big deal. It may be a couple years before Google gets to most of JoCo anyway so OP could be 3 years away. If Google decides to stay in this for the long term, they'll likely get to OP by the time they complete Lenexa/Olathe.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:The OP thing doesn't seem to be a big deal. It may be a couple years before Google gets to most of JoCo anyway so OP could be 3 years away. If Google decides to stay in this for the long term, they'll likely get to OP by the time they complete Lenexa/Olathe.
at the rate they're moving expect the rest of JoCo done by the end of 2015.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^The rate is pretty slow. I'm in Westport zip and still don't have it. They have my building wired but not my unit yet even though schedule was for last Fall. Will be surprising if they complete N/S KCMO by end of 2015, but would be good news if they can perk the pace up.