Union Hill Development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Union Hill Development

Post by loftguy »

geeman68 wrote:
taxi wrote:
moderne wrote:I put a reservation on a unit in the McGee building. To be completed in August. Among other things, sitting in the coffee shop across the street the scale of the intersection felt European as did the positioning of the lower level retail. But with American comforts such as an elevator! Anyone know any good reasons
I should back off on this? Want to sale my BC area house and somehow downsize to half the space. Want to rent not own.
Sorry, what/where is BC?
Interesting to hear you say this, I'm amazed at all the people I know who are obsessed with owning and are unable to realize that there are often real benefits to renting, in many cases.
What are your primary pros/cons of renting? I would like to sell my home but its tough as I'm in Grandview and the housing market hasn't recovered from when the slump hit. Not sure how to go about selling my house without losing my shirt. :(
Your situation is primary cause to rent. You simply fulfill the terms of your lease and move on. Low $ risk by comparison.

Second would be that maintenance is on someone else.

Those can also be the con of renting. Fulfilling a lease can also be painful, when a relocation is mandated. For that reason, if an move is a possible necessity, you better be real clear on what your lease requires in such case.

And a landlord who does not take care of maintenance issues, well that is a pain. So, do your research on them beforehand.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"What are your primary pros/cons of renting?"

Of course each individual has his/her own situation so it is hard to generalize but one thing one can take from renting is you will always rent unless at some time you buy. If you buy and continue to own there is likely a point in time that a mortgage would be paid off so there would be no monthly principal and interest payment.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Yea, BC means Briarcliff. Reasons to move into apartment and sell house: Spouse and I approaching age when stairs to bedroom level might be an issue and both have health issues that can progress in the future, want to move before one or both are impaired; want to be back in urban core; usual house maintenance issues, costs, don't want to worry about snow removal; could make more $$ investing equity in house than waiting for house resale values to increase worth of investment.
Negative I see is much smaller living space, getting rid of possessions collected from around the world, not being able to do anything to "improve" residence.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

moderne wrote:Yea, BC means Briarcliff. Reasons to move into apartment and sell house: Spouse and I approaching age when stairs to bedroom level might be an issue and both have health issues that can progress in the future, want to move before one or both are impaired; want to be back in urban core; usual house maintenance issues, costs, don't want to worry about snow removal; could make more $$ investing equity in house than waiting for house resale values to increase worth of investment.
Negative I see is much smaller living space, getting rid of possessions collected from around the world, not being able to do anything to "improve" residence.
If you perceive future mobility issues, I might suggest leasing a place a touch closer to the grocery store. You could get a place downtown and be a five-minute walk from the store--perhaps easier than driving in the future. Also: streetcar.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Costco would be the walkable grocery. Thought about DT but would have to pay at least $250.00 more a month for same space. And much more to get a balcony. To get me into an apartment it has to be brand new space as my only memories of renting in my youth was having to deal with living space that someone had already at best gentley used. The Max is close and also the future streetcar expansion. It is possible with that transportation option we could go down to one automobile.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

also, slightly further afield but isn't there going to be a new grocery store of some kind at 27th and Troost?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

No one walks to Costco! Blasphemy!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Guess I will have to get a little red wagon to pull as I don't think Costco sells anything that will fit in a backpack!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

moderne wrote:Guess I will have to get a little red wagon to pull as I don't think Costco sells anything that will fit in a backpack!
Or an apartment!
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

moderne wrote:Guess I will have to get a little red wagon to pull as I don't think Costco sells anything that will fit in a backpack!

There are apartment dwellers in our downtown, who co-op on commodity purchases from Costco.
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

There are apartment dwellers in our downtown, who co-op on commodity purchases from Costco.
That is a great idea plus you save on the membership too.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Union Hill's rebirth ends with a 181-apartment, 13-home bang.

http://tinyurl.com/mttqrn6
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

some photo updates:

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

What's the story on the bottom building? It's looked like that for months.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

chaglang wrote:What's the story on the bottom building? It's looked like that for months.
They're going for the "exposed wood" look. It's the latest trend in the condo market.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The contractors are completing the buildings with different dates of completion. When the masonry is completed on one, the crews go to the next building in order. The building on Gilham would be the last, but by then 2 more buildings to the south will be going up. Looking closely you can see a few windows and doors going in on the Gilham buildilng.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

My only (mild) complaint about these new developments, specifically the ones on 30th, is the terrible job done containing runoff from the site. The street looks like a dirt road. I would be somewhat displeased if I were a resident up there.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

smh wrote:My only (mild) complaint about these new developments, specifically the ones on 30th, is the terrible job done containing runoff from the site. The street looks like a dirt road. I would be somewhat displeased if I were a resident up there.
That's the responsibility of the contractor to contain. Surprised no one has called them in on that.

I'd be more concerned about the gigantic blank facades on the north and south faces of the building on Gillham.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

chaglang wrote:
smh wrote:My only (mild) complaint about these new developments, specifically the ones on 30th, is the terrible job done containing runoff from the site. The street looks like a dirt road. I would be somewhat displeased if I were a resident up there.
That's the responsibility of the contractor to contain. Surprised no one has called them in on that.

I'd be more concerned about the gigantic blank facades on the north and south faces of the building on Gillham.
No kidding. Wouldn't those end units fetch higher rents with more windows, or is the architect unable/unwilling to modify the unit layouts to accommodate them?