Westport Ale House (Formerly Streetside Records)

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Westport Ale House (Formerly Streetside Records)

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Is there a general financial reason that all of these bars are springing up in Westport again? Ca Va, Port Fonda, Saloon; then Beaumont & America's Pub eventually splitting into multiple 'craft beers' places.
That's a pretty wet couple of blocks. Some rate lowered, permit cheaper & easier, or something. Or is the reason more of a general sociological one?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:Is there a general financial reason that all of these bars are springing up in Westport again? Ca Va, Port Fonda, Saloon; then Beaumont & America's Pub eventually splitting into multiple 'craft beers' places.
That's a pretty wet couple of blocks. Some rate lowered, permit cheaper & easier, or something. Or is the reason more of a general sociological one?
I would say its a marked change in the neighborhood. It is becoming more middle- and upper-middle class with more families, gay couples, young professionals. Westport isn't a hook up spot anymore where you'd drink to lose your inhibitions and go home with someone. Losing most of that element makes the area safer, open to a broader demographic, and less stigmatized. A young lady tells her mom she's going to meet some girlfriends for dinner in Westport, her mom might not picture her doing 10 shots and going home with some creepy guy.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

beautyfromashes wrote:
WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:Is there a general financial reason that all of these bars are springing up in Westport again? Ca Va, Port Fonda, Saloon; then Beaumont & America's Pub eventually splitting into multiple 'craft beers' places.
I would say its a marked change in the neighborhood. It is becoming more middle- and upper-middle class with more families, gay couples, young professionals. Westport isn't a hook up spot anymore where you'd drink to lose your inhibitions and go home with someone. Losing most of that element makes the area safer, open to a broader demographic, and less stigmatized. A young lady tells her mom she's going to meet some girlfriends for dinner in Westport, her mom might not picture her doing 10 shots and going home with some creepy guy.
Right, and the craft beer market is getting really quite large. You're seeing the same thing happen on west 39th too, and it is because Westport and Volker are hip, young, craft beer drinking neighborhoods.

Now, the trend that I find a little more surprising is the middle eastern restaurant and lounge influx. Is there a significant amount of middle eastern people moving to midtown? Or is hookah really just becoming THAT popular? It's amazing how many of these places opened up a year or two ago.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I think there may have been a change in liquor licensing as well. I believe I read somewhere that there was some sort of statute that was removed recently that limited the number of liquor licenses in a certain area, which had prevented in any new licenses being issued in Westport.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:I think there may have been a change in liquor licensing as well. I believe I read somewhere that there was some sort of statute that was removed recently that limited the number of liquor licenses in a certain area, which had prevented in any new licenses being issued in Westport.
A limit to the number of liquor licenses!?! Oh gawd... Why?? The city needs a density of businesses. I sure hope you're right about the statute being removed, but that's crazy if it ever was.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

...if you don't understand the past, you're destined to repeat it...
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

After an early dinner at Cucina della Ragazza (love the food, love the space, love everything about it), my crowd thought we might try the Ale House. A drive-by revealed that it was packed to the point of discomfort, at least for our standards. Well then, maybe Ca Va. Nope, packed too. I love to see what I think of as the new Westport doing well.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Great, these are the answers I was looking to hear. Thanks!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

heatherkay wrote:I think the signage for the garage needs to be clearer that (a) it's free and (b) it's available to everyone. The entrances are also a little cryptic.
I had no idea it was free. I usually bus to Westport as I think parking there is just a hassle.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

KCPowercat wrote:
heatherkay wrote:I think the signage for the garage needs to be clearer that (a) it's free and (b) it's available to everyone. The entrances are also a little cryptic.
I had no idea it was free. I usually bus to Westport as I think parking there is just a hassle.
Good, keep on bussing. Westport really needs more people taking the bus there. If Westport is going to continue to get more businesses and apartments and not need more parking lots and garages with them, then anyone who is along a bus route really needs to take the bus as much as possible.

Back when I lived downtown I used to love taking the Max into Westport. It's such a smarter move if you're going to be drinking and you get to experience so much more of Westport. There is a lot you get to see and hear while on that walk that you miss when you drive in and park a block from your destination. I wish more people understood this. No doubt there would be half the cars parked there if people were more efficient with their transit choices.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pretty sure westport still has a cap on liquor licenses.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Demosthenes wrote:
Back when I lived downtown I used to love taking the Max into Westport. It's such a smarter move if you're going to be drinking and you get to experience so much more of Westport. There is a lot you get to see and hear while on that walk that you miss when you drive in and park a block from your destination. I wish more people understood this. No doubt there would be half the cars parked there if people were more efficient with their transit choices.
The 155 is being changed to go along JC Nichols Pwy from Plaza to Westport as well as the 47 now going down JCN/Bway. So it's also easier to get between heart of Westport and Plaza now in addition to MAX going to E end of Westport.

BTW, saw Ale House packed to gills at 3PM Sunday.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I stopped in to the Ale House for the first time last Tuesday. We went around 9:30p to watch the west coast Royals game. However, even though there were at least 10 people working and not much of a crowd, they were unable to locate the Royals game on their satellite system. It's hard to blame the bartender, because she tried for a total of about 2 minutes before she gave up and started talking to her friends.

Tuesday is half price wings - and their wings were tasty. I don't know if I would recommend them at full price. They do that thing where an order of wings is "1 lb" - or six total, for about $11 (full price). Who measures wings by the pound? They're all bone.... pet peeve.... sorry.

Anyhow, I was completely underwhelmed. I'll give lunch a try someday.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i've decided i'll never go. too many TVs.
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

WSPanic wrote:They do that thing where an order of wings is "1 lb" - or six total, for about $11 (full price). Who measures wings by the pound? They're all bone.... pet peeve.... sorry.
i recall being told the last time i was at a buffalo wild wings (last summer i think ... yeah, i don't go there often) that wings were getting too expensive (for the restaurants) to serve "by count" and are now being sold by weight.
DaveKCMO wrote:i've decided i'll never go. too many TVs.
seems strange to have a place that has so many tv's, yet the employees can't even find a common channel that shows the city's baseball team. defeats the purpose.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I'll echo the thoughts on Ale House's mediocrity. Found myself there a couple of times in the past week. First night wanted to watch the Royals/Mariners game (Thursday) and it was packed and really too loud to enjoy, maybe on account of the NFL draft. So we left.

Went to Harpo's, of all places, and relived some college memories. As an aside, Harpo's on Thursday is highly recommended - $.50 blvd wheat draws or $10 trays (20 beers), and the atmosphere was tolerable, i.e. NOT the Tuesday night $.25 draw crowd. Had a shockingly good time there chugging uber-cheap beers; it will return to the rotation for the first time in 10 years.

Second time ended up there Saturday night, stayed for a couple of beers. Again, just too loud to enjoy. Long story short, needs some sound deadening, a hint more atmosphere (even for a sports bar) for me to want to return frequently.

I will say it's nice to see a spot for the plaza bro crowd in westport, adds to the diversity IMO, and is definitely cashing in on a good location and generic theme.