What are your five big things for Kansas City?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: What are your five big things for Kansas City?

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:
smh wrote:Become America's most livable city based on walkability, affordability and happiness. Imagine the development opportunities and press coverage when one of America's most sprawl-heavy cities commits itself to righting the ship and returning to the development-style that originally made it great by emphasizing people over autos.
I love the goal, but I find it difficult to believe that Cerner, Garmin, Sprint, etc., with their sprawling, exurban, parking lot laden campuses, would embrace this in the way you envision.
Understood--I suppose I'm considering this more from a City perspective than a regional perspective. But as far as items that could have the biggest impact, I think increased density is in the top 5.
smh, you're on the right track.

My first additional goal is to have full collaboration in doubling the residential population of downtown KC. The value of this effort would benefit the entire metro area. More people would make the decision to live in Blue Springs and Overland Park, as result of the core of the metroplex act as a 24 hour vibrant center.

Second in my list of politically improbable promulgations....market KC as the welcoming home to all immigrants to the United States. "If you're coming to America........come all the way to the middle. We want you." New blood, broad diversity, cultural interest, entrepreneurism. Just the new restaurants alone would kick up things a few notches.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Eon Blue wrote:#4 - Shovel Your %&*# Damn Sidewalks!
Put it on the map!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote:
My first additional goal is to have full collaboration in doubling the residential population of downtown KC. The value of this effort would benefit the entire metro area. More people would make the decision to live in Blue Springs and Overland Park, as result of the core of the metroplex act as a 24 hour vibrant center.
This is a fantastic idea. Achievement of this goal is entirely possible and would benefit every one in the region, not to mention change the perception of downtown both to outsiders and our suburban compatriots.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

smh wrote:
loftguy wrote:
This is a fantastic idea. Achievement of this goal is entirely possible and would benefit every one in the region, not to mention change the perception of downtown both to outsiders and our suburban compatriots.
That may be a good sell to the Chamber also. With all of the new and proposed apartment building that is going on, they could swoop in and take credit for a little of the growth. They would also have a vested interest in ensuring those apartments get filled right away, perhaps by marketing downtown better to large companies.
Zorobabel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Zorobabel »

I think you guys have covered the most important points. The only thing I'd add is just collaboration/policies/incentives/etc. that ensure KC continues to grow as a tech center. I think that will be crucial to the region's future economic base.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

loftguy wrote:

Second in my list of politically improbable promulgations....market KC as the welcoming home to all immigrants to the United States. "If you're coming to America........come all the way to the middle. We want you." New blood, broad diversity, cultural interest, entrepreneurism. Just the new restaurants alone would kick up things a few notches.

I love both of these ideas.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

pash wrote:If we can wrangle enough immigrants from Saskatoon, maybe we can get an NHL franchise, too.
Meta
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

I'm quite late to this "party" but here goes anyway:

1. Drastically reduce crime - especially severe crime in cities tougher areas. Increase police presence among other things in this category. An expensive and difficult task, but well worth it imo.
2. Fix the KC Public School District. A nearly impossible task but also well worth it.
(the rest are borrowed from earlier posts)
3. Grow downtown population by 40,000 by creating housing inventory
4. Improve regional transit
5. Downtown performing arts campus