2013 - 2014 College Basketball Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Re: 2013 - 2014 College Basketball Season

Post by shaffe »

AllThingsKC wrote:It's not even the regular season yet, but this Mizzou team looks like crap. Not only do they look like a team that will miss the tournament, at this point I'm not sure they'll have a winning season. They look really slow.
Hopefully this burying will go as well as your burying of the football team 2 months ago. ;-)
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

K-State really looked like crap tonight at first, but thankfully they finally decided to show up about 10 minutes into the game.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

shaffe wrote:Hopefully this burying will go as well as your burying of the football team 2 months ago. ;-)
I'm hoping.
longviewmo wrote:K-State really looked like crap tonight at first, but thankfully they finally decided to show up about 10 minutes into the game.
It took Mizzou about 30 minutes to finally take control of the game.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote:It's not even the regular season yet, but this Mizzou team looks like crap. Not only do they look like a team that will miss the tournament, at this point I'm not sure they'll have a winning season. They look really slow.
They are anything but slow. They are undisciplined, untalented in the frontcourt, and poor defensively but they are a pretty athletic team. I wonder how far Ross, Brown and Clarkson can take this team. They badly need a Pressey (for passing) and a talented big man. K. Post appears to be worthless at this point and the alternatives are a couple of athletic, albeit skinny, freshmen and a near 7 footer who thinks he's a guard. Don't know about this team - not looking like a great team but could do some damage if they play up to their strengths. But the front line just is not looking good and there's only so far guards can take you.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Melvin Booker's kid Devin who apparently is a top prospect, has chosen Kentucky over Mizzou. Mizzou had been courting him for years, Kentucky for about five minutes.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/ ... e0d9f.html
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote:Melvin Booker's kid Devin who apparently is a top prospect, has chosen Kentucky over Mizzou. Mizzou had been courting him for years, Kentucky for about five minutes.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/ ... e0d9f.html
Mizzou has missed out on a host of son's of former players. Larry Drew's son, Derrick Chevious' son and a couple of others. Booker was pretty highly recruited and Mizzou fans were hopeful but certainly not counting chickens. There was not an open scholarship for him as I understood it, someone would have had to go on walk on status or transfer to make room.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

So, I guess this is what Bruceketball looks like.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

longviewmo wrote:So, I guess this is what Bruceketball looks like.
All that's left for him to do now is hold a mock funeral for Frank Martin.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Pretty underwhelming national debut for Wiggins - and he still finished with 22 points after spending much of the first half on the bench with foul trouble (these new rules are going to drive everyone nuts). He's remarkable quick and fluid, but I don't feel like he got enough chances to show what he could do and he was definitely overshadowed by Randle and Parker (who looked incredibly awesome).

Selden looks like a tremendous glue guy, a guy that does tons of things that don't show up in stat sheets but contribute to victory. Really like his hustle and what he does on the court.

Frank Morris really impressed. Looks like a Sherron Collins clone with the ups and downs that comes with that.

Perry Ellis was one of my faves last year and he looks like he hasn't missed a step. He has great old school moves in the post. Terrific footwork.

Embiid is a work in progress.

Tharpe? Egads. He kinda choked down the stretch last year and he looked jittery last night. You wonder if its just a matter of time before Morris and Selden are the primary ball handlers.

I've liked what I've seen of Black but he was on the bench most of last night with foul trouble.

Overall, I'm super excited about this team. They didn't play that great and still were able to pull away and win comfortably against a top team. Their depth looks really amazing this year. And with the new foul rules, that could be huge.

I can't wait for the "F U, I'm Andrew Wiggins" game.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote:Pretty underwhelming national debut for Wiggins - and he still finished with 22 points after spending much of the first half on the bench with foul trouble (these new rules are going to drive everyone nuts). He's remarkable quick and fluid, but I don't feel like he got enough chances to show what he could do and he was definitely overshadowed by Randle and Parker (who looked incredibly awesome).

Selden looks like a tremendous glue guy, a guy that does tons of things that don't show up in stat sheets but contribute to victory. Really like his hustle and what he does on the court.

Frank Morris really impressed. Looks like a Sherron Collins clone with the ups and downs that comes with that.

Perry Ellis was one of my faves last year and he looks like he hasn't missed a step. He has great old school moves in the post. Terrific footwork.

Embiid is a work in progress.

Tharpe? Egads. He kinda choked down the stretch last year and he looked jittery last night. You wonder if its just a matter of time before Morris and Selden are the primary ball handlers.

I've liked what I've seen of Black but he was on the bench most of last night with foul trouble.

Overall, I'm super excited about this team. They didn't play that great and still were able to pull away and win comfortably against a top team. Their depth looks really amazing this year. And with the new foul rules, that could be huge.

I can't wait for the "F U, I'm Andrew Wiggins" game.
KU looked tough and loaded. Ellis was a timid freshman, now he's a juggernaut. Pretty thin for a post up player but he did well - has some retro post up moves and some length and that helps. I also thought Wiggins was a bit of mixed bag but I missed his finale where he apparently played pretty well. He seemed to loaf getting back on D at times though - and got a couple of easy cherry picks as a result. The guard Mason is pretty fearless and Selden looks to be quite poised. The best player on the floor, however, was Jabari Parker. If you are looking for the next Durant or James, he's more likely to be the guy than Wiggins.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

KU's latest recruit, Cliff Alexander really messed with his home-state school on signing day.
http://deadspin.com/cliff-alexander-fak ... 1465434880
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

K-State loses to Charlotte, then drubbed by Georgetown in Puerto Rico. They are not good at basketball.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote:K-State loses to Charlotte, then drubbed by Georgetown in Puerto Rico. They are not good at basketball.
I enjoyed the KSU - Mississippi game. It was ugly but I loved watching Marshall Henderson getting shut down. I suspect Mississippi will draw some big crowds on the road this year as people will show up to hate Henderson in person.

KSU does play good defense but can't score points.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Jack Harry's in a little bit of hot water:
A Kansas City sports anchor known for his provocative on-air persona has come under fire for allegedly referring to the Kansas basketball team by a derogatory slur. Jack Harry, sports director of Kansas City's NBC affiliate KSHB, appeared to refer to the Jayhawks as "Gayhawks" during his station's newscast on Sunday night. Harry denied the claim in a YouTube video released Monday night after video of the alleged slur spread via Kansas-themed blogs and social media throughout the day.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... ncaab.html
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chaglang wrote:Jack Harry's in a little bit of hot water:
He totally said it. That's the danger with "playing" with racial and homophobic talk when one is in private, it often "slips" out in public. Ask any 4th grader.

Chalk this up to a just another Mizzouchebag showing his ass.

Appropriate response: Fired.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

His popularity has always been a mystery to me. He comes off as the old guy trying too hard to be cool.

Anyway, his response has been to try a jedi mind trick and tell everyone they didn't hear him use a slur. And Petro is playing dumb on Twitter, so maybe it's working.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chaglang wrote:His popularity has always been a mystery to me. .
I don't think he is popular. I have never heard anyone say they like him, or think he says anything interesting. I think he gets hired because producers think he's a name, and "people talk about him so much, that must mean he brings eyeballs to the TV set."

He'd be like if you gave an internet troll their own five minute segment on the news.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

chingon wrote: Chalk this up to a just another Mizzouchebag showing his ass.

Jack Harry didn't attend Mizzou. He's not even from Missouri.

But don't let that stop you from using the occasion to unveil a wildly clever anti-Mizzou epithet.

We'll just chalk it up to unhealthy obsession.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

chingon wrote:
chaglang wrote:Jack Harry's in a little bit of hot water:
Chalk this up to a just another Mizzouchebag showing his ass.
That's it. I'm offended by your stupid comment. You're fired...